Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Post by WacoRover » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:48 am

So, I realize this is not our #1, 2, or 3 need, but Lanc’s have these 5 forwards listed, as potential transfer targets to Rovers:
Niall Ennis (Doncaster, on loanout from Wolves);
Philipp Hofmann (Karlsruher);
Keinan Davis (Villa);
Macauley Bonne (Charlton);
Shamar Nicholson (Charleroi).

Bonne appears fairly prolific at lower leagues, & Nicholson’s size is reminiscent of Gestede. Hofmann is another big lad, whiffed in a short spell at Brentford, but has done well in 2 Bundesliga since. Ennis the youngest & smallest, but could well have the highest ceiling. Immediate impact, & cost to be considered, when we have more pressing needs. Thoughts?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:25 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:16 pm
Gibbon wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:57 pm
This comes under the general tomfoolery part of this section. I gave myself 5 minutes to internet scout us a new goalkeeper and came up with Lee Nichols from MK Dons. You're Welcome. :hyper:
Might be a keeper! (Pardon the pun, lol) Went out of contract the end of June
Didn't realise his contract had expired, he looked great when I was browsing stats though. Then I checked up on him on an MK Don's forum and they seem desperately worried that he'll leave, which is always a good sign. :lol:

Honourable mention to Jack Bonham at Gillingham.

A really decent Goalkeeper should be, and I'm sure is, the number one priority this summer.

As to the other positions we need to fill, having repeatedly proven himself out on loan, I'd like to think that Wharton has earned the chance of stepping up to partner Lenihan in central defence.

Rather than rush out and recruit a striker, I'd like us to stick with Armstrong up front, and persevere with Gallagher and Brereton as his support. Then I'd like some of the younger kids like Butterfield and Vale to get a chance.

We need to strenghten at LB and RB, but whether that comes from within or not is anyones guess.

After that, I'd limit our activity to 'too good to miss' opportunities where someone pops up on the radar that would unquestionably improve us.

EwoodElite
New signing

Post by EwoodElite » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:15 pm

Totally agree with all of that. Still think the 6'5 lad from the Polish league is worth a punt on a free.

In an ideal world, a creative winger would also be nice.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:42 pm

How about Kelleher, from Liverpool? He’s still young, with no 1st team appearances. I don’t see him getting on there anytime soon. Same with Brewster, who did well on loan to Swans.

Dutch
Promising youngster

Post by Dutch » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:50 pm

Agree with Gibbon about giving youth a chance; particularly up front, Gallagher and Brereton showed a bit towards the end of the season and are young enough to improve. Butterfield has long been a stud for youth teams, even with injuries this season; Vale was very promising in his cameos and we still have Chapman, JRC, Holtby and Rothwell who can play as wide-forwards.

At CB Wharton, Grayson, Carter, Magloire should all hopefully be close to the first team; Maghoma could be useful for his height though especially on a free.

Mulgrew has to go and tbh I'd let Williams move on as well, not physical enough to be a CB and doesn't want to play LB so no point in paying him and letting him keep the younger CBs out the team.

RB is fine I think, Nyambe is a stud and both JRC and Bennett can fill in; I would have kept Sam Hart as cover at LB he looked good last preseason so need depth there now.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:17 pm

Give youth a chance, which I’ve always been an advocate. But, we need an experienced keeper.

Agreed on Mulgrew & Williams.

EwoodElite
New signing

Post by EwoodElite » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:33 pm

Interest in Charlie Goode from Northampton?

http://roverschat.com/rovers-have-made- ... r-rumours/

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Still awaiting news of reenforcements; at CB, Harry Souttar might be worth giving a look. Young (21), big (6’6”), and defensive minded.

At gk, will it come down to Dillon Phillips (Charlton) or Marshall? Jerome Prior (Valenciennes) or Kevin Muller (Heidenheim) are interesting possibilities.
Last edited by WacoRover on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:33 pm

If the global economic slump has really hit Venky’s finances then we may have to promote from within. It’d be a set back, but so long as we retain the core of the team, then I think we’d be okay. It’d make a playoff/title challenge even more unlikely this coming season though.

I’d quite like to see Fisher in goal even though I doubt he’s ready.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:37 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:33 pm
I’d quite like to see Fisher in goal even though I doubt he’s ready.
Surely, As a backup? I’m not ready To throw in the towel on finding an experienced keeper.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:01 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:37 pm
Surely, As a backup? I’m not ready To throw in the towel on finding an experienced keeper.
Only way to find out is to give him a chance. It worked out well for Raya when he became first choice after Steele left.

In another news, the LT has us linked with Brad Smith, a 26 year old left back who has just left Bournemouth after his contract expired.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:43 pm

Hudson wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:01 pm
WacoRover wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:37 pm
Only way to find out is to give him a chance. It worked out well for Raya when he became first choice after Steele left.

In another news, the LT has us linked with Brad Smith, a 26 year old left back who has just left Bournemouth after his contract expired.
If we were solid in defending, I’d say give it a go. But, we are replacing a CB, and LB was never a strength last year.

Brad Smith was highly thought of at Liverpool, kinda fell off the charts. Still young enough to rate a look.

Dutch
Promising youngster

Post by Dutch » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:09 pm

I'm happy to give Fisher a chance as the second choice keeper, saves money and could work out in long term.

Out of the Souttar brothers I'd take John from Hearts over Harry any day; very impressive ball playing CB like Tosin and lots of potential.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Nothing newsworthy as far as transfers?

I like trivia... Mowbray was the longest serving manager in Championship with current club, until Wycombe (Ainsworth) & Rotherham (Warne) promoted.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Rumours that we’re sniffing around Leicester’s Daniel Iversen or Man City’s Arijanet Muric, both as loans.

I’d be surprised if we went for two loan keepers, so I’d imagine that’d be one or the other.