Transfer 2: Maceo Rigters Signs a 4 Year Deal

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
nathanolder
Regular international

Transfer 2: Maceo Rigters Signs a 4 Year Deal

Post by nathanolder » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:42 pm

So... Sparky signs Dutch striker Maceo Rigters for a small fee,
what do you guys all think ?

sounds like a bargain.... i saw him play in the U21, although at the time he was the worst enemy as he scored that late late equalising goal against England!

He looks good, pretty quick.

What do you guys all think ?

RNL
New signing

Post by RNL » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:52 pm

Hmm, I'm from Holland, exactly from Breda (Where Rigters played for NAC Breda) and in the 2,5 seasons at NAC he didn't really impress. He was mainly subsitution, more a player who's handy to have: works hard and doesn't complain much. But I hope the best for you and the player himself. That he may score many goals.

He played a good championsship and he may be gratefull for that, because otherwise he would have sit on the bench in Breda for another year...

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:41 pm

Well obviosuly being under 21 he's more than likely to sit on our bench too

http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ ... 36,00.html
ROVERS have swooped to complete their second signing of the summer with the arrival of striker Maceo Rigters from NAC Breda.

The Lancashire club beat a host of other sides to secure the services of the highly rated Dutch under 21 star who has signed a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

A product of the famous Ajax Youth Academy, Maceo made his senior debut for SC Heerenveen, but it was his eight goals in seventeen games at FC Dordrecht that brought him to the attention of the top Dutch clubs and in 2004/05 he moved to NAC Breda.

Over three seasons at Breda, where he has operated mainly as a winger, he made 61 appearances, netting five times.

But it was at the recent Euro under 21 Championships where the Amsterdam-born striker caught the eye as he finished with the Golden Boot as the tournament's top scorer with four goals from his five games.

He'll be remembered for scoring the 89th minute equaliser against England with the overhead kick in the semi-final that took the game to extra-time and ultimately disappointment for England in the shootout.

HaterNob
New signing

Post by HaterNob » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:49 pm

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, he's 23.

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:50 pm

Errrrrrrrrrrrr he played for the under 21's hence the reference :doh:

HaterNob
New signing

Re:

Post by HaterNob » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:52 pm

Do you work for the BBC?

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:54 pm

No, are you a professional nit-picker? ;)

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:57 pm

RNL wrote:Hmm, I'm from Holland, exactly from Breda (Where Rigters played for NAC Breda) and in the 2,5 seasons at NAC he didn't really impress. He was mainly subsitution, more a player who's handy to have: works hard and doesn't complain much. But I hope the best for you and the player himself. That he may score many goals.

He played a good championsship and he may be gratefull for that, because otherwise he would have sit on the bench in Breda for another year...
Sounds exactly like the sort of player who turns out to be brilliant for us then...

HaterNob
New signing

Re:

Post by HaterNob » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:25 pm

Rover the Moon wrote:No, are you a professional nit-picker? ;)
You've got me on that one! :-)

..and to be fair, whether he's 21 or 23 isn't so important, either way this player's got youth on his side and if he has cost in the £400k region as suggested in some of the press then I can't see what we've got to lose really.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:22 am

i'm still not sure about the whole youth issue... think its something like streaky on pace.... ;)

surely these days you don't get more than about 5 years max out of a player.... certainly not a club in our position.

so if you sign the perfect player a couple of years before he gets to his best you are likely to get a less time out of that peak than a player of say 27?... now obviously nonda is older than that and argueably past his peak, but i still don't think that youth alone should be a factor in our transfer decisions.

the only really justifiable reason for buying players younger is whether they may be more adaptable to premiership football.

HaterNob
New signing

Post by HaterNob » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:35 am

You're right, youth shouldn't be the only factor in transfer decision but it'd be incredibly nieve to not recognise that it's an advantage.

Perhaps another justifiable reason for buying players younger is the potential of a sell on fee when they leave?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:39 am

I agree Theadore, the age thing is a load of crap.

For instance, McCarthy is 29, I mean, that's SOOOOO OLD, I don't know why we bothered signing him.....

I think this guy will be a decent signing though, any u21 international should at least be able to bag a few in the prem, and judging by the amount rumoured to be the transfer fee I think we'll end up making a profit if he turns out not to cut the mustard and be sold on.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:54 am

i know... what were we thinking.

the potential sell on fee is a good point... however in the current climate youth seems to cost a premium... thats one reason at least why this guy (and bentley last year lest we forget) are good signings.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:59 am

Exactly, youth in itself seems to be carrying a price of a few million within English football these days, regardless of whether the player is actually any good or not.

Silly money has been thrown at so many younger players it's untrue (Nigel Reo-Choker for £8 million anyone?) when you could actually get a proven quality player for the same or less.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:03 am

And don't forget young Samba...

I've said for some time that the priority should be getting players who can do well now. If they all retire at the end of the season, that's when we look for replacements. I don't think age is a dominant factor as to whether a player is good enough - it may be that younger players are quicker, but older players are wiser... and both are equally useful. If, at the end of the day, we have a good enough blend of players to make a successful team, it shouldn't matter if they're 18 or 38.

And I can't help but have a wry smile about how we're handling the transfer market - I can just see at the end of next season, £16m, 20-goal Darren Bent will be chosen as bargain of the season ahead of £400k, 25-goal Maceo Rigters... :whistle: