Promising youngster

Re: Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Post by zeffania » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:06 pm

Rudy, yea but not Carroll as he is never fit

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:21 pm

I would rather make a poll about Andy Carroll's top 10 goals than for him to be here. (HINT: I have only seen one and it wasn't fun)

I would take Gestede back though if willing. Loved him during his time. Only problem is I don't know if he can be a lone striker. I think the reason he got so many goals was because he was partnered up with Rhodes.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:20 am

Really sensible comments from Mowbray today in the LT. Venky's were supportive of making signings and money was available but clearly the targets we were interested in the selling clubs were wanting stupid money and stupid salaries. Nice to see trust and transparency between the owners and manager and not making stupid decisions.

Chapman was a bonus but I don't think we really needed much else, a striker would have been a bonus but not essential. You would expect that Dack (already there), Graham (nearly there) and Armstrong will all end the season in double figures so plenty of goals from them. Then we've had goals from Mulgrew, Nuttall now chipping in and hopefully something from Brereton.

We've got a lot of options in midfield, good cover at centre back as well as right back. You'd argue that left back is a weak point but Bell has been fine and we have Williams as back up.

Better off allowing for a better budget in the summer when we'll hopefully get better value for money.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:52 pm

The important thing for me was not the possibility of new signings, but escaping unscathed from the transfer market when we have so many cracking young players.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Rovers boss Mowbray heads to Europe on scouting mission...
“All the staff have been away in Europe on scouting missions and I am off to Europe myself where I’ll spend the next two days with my eye out for some talent.
I just wish he have said footballing talent.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:55 am

:D

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed May 01, 2019 12:53 am

There's no really substance to this other than asking the question, would you take back Junior Hoilett if he became available?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed May 01, 2019 8:19 am

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:53 am
There's no really substance to this other than asking the question, would you take back Junior Hoilett if he became available?
There's no real substance to this other than answering the question, no.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Wed May 01, 2019 8:37 am

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:53 am
No, the kid was one of the best talents I’ve seen on the Ewood pitch back in the day. But that was a while ago and his lack of loyalty and desire for a payday means he wouldn’t be a fit with our young and hungry team.

I think we have some better talents coming through, especially Chapman.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed May 01, 2019 9:31 am

Would you take back Jordan Rhodes?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed May 01, 2019 10:15 am

Dan wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:31 am
Would you take back Jordan Rhodes?
Just looking at his record for this season - he's scored 7 goals in the 11 games he started for Norwich this season. And 2 in 29 when he's been brought on as sub. I think the main reason he scored a load of goals for us and then hasn't since is we actually put him on the pitch. And I think Ben Brereton is in a similar situation. He's getting written off as an expensive flop because he's only scored one goal, but he's hardly started any games. Strikers only score when they play.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed May 01, 2019 10:43 am

I like the look of Ben Brereton. Given opportunities I think he could be great for us.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Wed May 01, 2019 11:30 am

Maybe. I will tell you a player I want us to go for though. John Marquis from Doncaster. He’s a big, strong, skilled target man. Like a younger Danny Graham. His goal scoring record the last few seasons has been incredible and I think we rely on a target man so much to get the most out of Dack, Armstrong et al.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed May 01, 2019 12:42 pm

Hoilett wouldn't be an upgrade on Armstrong in my opinion and is probably on silly wages given the clubs he's been at, mainly QPR when they were paying players stupid money.

As for Rhodes he's not had that consistent a time of things as a starter at Boro, Sheff Wed or Norwich but his scoring record since leaving us has taken quite the nose dive. He was never the quickest and now at 29 I think it would be a gamble to think he''d find his form of Huddersfield and Rovers. I'm sure what type of striker he'd be now either.

I also like to think we've got a lot to come from Bereton and Samuel next season. The way we use Graham as a target man for Dack et al to play off means his age isn't that big a factor. Rhodes never struck me as a target man when playing for us. More off the shoulder of the defenders and poaching goals in the box.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed May 01, 2019 6:46 pm

Tony Mowbray is investing in Rovers future and not the past. Hoilett and Rhodes are good players but Rovers seem to have a plan that involves promoting the U23s who are worthy of a chance and similar aged players from other clubs. The odd old head around too complements the squad. Rovers are in a good place personnel wise but some players will have to make way for Rovers to do better than a mid table finish next season. Some of Rovers league One players have shown they cannot take us to the next level. So important that it is to to bring in the right players Tony Mowbray must free up squad places. Some of these players have been good servants to the club and some have under achieved.