Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Post by Dan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:57 pm

Nuttall on his way to Blackpool
Joe Nuttall looks set to leave Rovers after two seasons at the club.
The striker hasn’t featured for Rovers senior side in pre-season since scoring the winning goal in the opening friendly at Barrow.
League One Blackpool looks set to be his destination, on a permanent move, with Seasiders boss Simon Grayson knowing Nuttall from his time watching Rovers Under-23s.
Nuttall wasn’t involved when the two sides met at Bloomfield Road on Saturday, but scored 24 hours later against Southport as he finished the close season with five goals in five games.
Blackpool have money to spend after selling full back Marc Bola to Championship side Middlesbrough over the weekend, with Nuttall set to supplement their attack ahead of the new season.
“My phone rings practically daily, but mostly teams thinking they can take him on loan and not pay much money, trying their luck really,” Rovers boss Tony Mowbray told the Lancashire Telegraph.
“I’m not sure how far down the line we are but I’m sure there will be an announcement on his future very soon.”

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:36 pm

Probably for the best. Samuel is coming back to fitness, Gallagher just signed on, and Brereton is probably looking to become more of a forward anyway. He would have been 5th choice at that point.

I am interested in who Mowbray is targeting in the transfer window, as he alluded to bringing someone else in. I would guess that elusive permanent goalkeeper, but I would hope its a permanent centreback, as Williams and Mulgrew are a bit injury prone.

stillgrowling
Valued squad member

Post by stillgrowling » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:47 pm

I would sooner have kept Nuttall and released Samuel-it would never surprise me if Joe improved a lot over the next couple of years.
As for new signings, I'd like someone who can play rb or lb. Preferably someone a bit over the top for the top flight.
Salgado oh oh , he played for Real Madrid, didn't cost a quid.....................

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:08 pm

I bet Salgado was on a big wage packet. I think that's the problem, we have to find a player that's not going to break the bank while also being competitive.

From what I have seen, Rankin-Costello is a serviceable right back. And with the looks of it, Mowbray wants to push Nyambe as a centreback.

stillgrowling
Valued squad member

Post by stillgrowling » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:18 pm

Nyambe seems to have filled out and grown in the last couple of years, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him at ch

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:27 pm

If he can figure out timing a header, he will do well.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:22 pm

Decent full backs or a bit of cover on both sides would be good, for some reason for years it's been a position where there's no plan B and an injury or two totally messes up the defence. Even going back to the days of Neill and Gresko, there have been large chunks of seasons regularly since then where a midfielder or centre back has had to fill in at RB or LB and struggled. (Except the Paul Ince era, where there was somehow an abundance of them, but the less said about that the better.)

El Sphero
Promising youngster

Post by El Sphero » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:38 pm

If we re-sign Martin and Marcus Ollson (and maybe their long lost brother Marlon) we should have enough full back cover :yeahright:

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:03 am

The only acceptable cover for full back is Bruno Ribeiro

El Sphero
Promising youngster

Post by El Sphero » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:12 pm

With such an illustrious career I’m fairly sure Bruno Ribeiro could cover full back for Barcelona.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:10 pm

Rumors of Max Clark being on the radar.

EwoodElite
New signing

Post by EwoodElite » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:00 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:10 pm
Rumors of Max Clark being on the radar.
I saw this today and knowing nothing about the lad, was surprised to see he was a left back. Surely RB and CB are the problem areas?

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:11 am

Tony Mowbray has said previously that players that were not available or a available at premium costsometimes become available towards the end of the transfer window. While recruitment in defence has proven frustrating we will see over the coming days what Tony Mowbray can do to improve the long standing issues in defence. Last January's window and the summer months have proven fruitless but after seeing the Charlton game Tony Mowbray would be wise not to stick with certain players who have let him down. Maybe the Charlton game was a warning to him.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:57 pm

Magloire joins Rochdale on loan

So far today we've been linked with:
Jacob Murphy, winger, from Newcastle
Greg Cunningham, left back, from Cardiff
Grant Hanley to return

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:16 pm

I wouldn't mind having a loaned in left back at this point. Would prefer permanent solutions.