David Raya

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Gibbon
Promising manager

David Raya

Post by Gibbon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:45 pm

Signs new 3 year deal.

Quite a long contract for a 19 year old on the very fringe of the first team. Does this lend weight to my theory that one of Eastwood or Steele will be leaving in the summer?

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: David Raya

Post by Dan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:16 pm

Well it certainly isn't looking good for Jake Kean...

I can see Raya going on loan to a half decent club where he might get some proper competitive game time, and Steele / Eastwood both hovering around between starting XI and the subs bench until we decide which one to get rid of in January or this time next year. Can't see Steele leaving anytime soon, Bowyer's only just signed him. Kean and Robbo will be released.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:10 pm

Yeah, good point. I keep forgetting about Jake Kean. I'm not sure why Robbo didn't walk before now when it became obvious he was never going to play again. I'm sure he could have negotiated his way out of his contract and found another club easily.

tomthebodz
Regular international

Post by tomthebodz » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:55 pm

Get rid of Kean and Robbo this summer, have Steele 1st choice and Eastwood on the bench for league matches. Play Raya in the cup games. Then next season sell or release Eastwood and move Raya to the sub keeper, season after that move him to first choice. Gentle integration to first team football is the best option in my book.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:02 pm

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Signs a new three and a half year deal. I can’t believe he’s only 22. Fantastic prospect.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:13 pm

Great news, if he can just improve his goal kicks we've got a very good keeper!

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:41 am

Confirmed transfer to Brentford. Think that's a real shame and only hope the club did what they could to keep him.

Replacement is a very high priority.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:58 am

I imagine the price was worth it, add ons, and the fact he wanted to move on in his career. Always hate thinking the last part but that's the way she goes.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:10 am

It's an odd one though as aside from living in London which depending on your viewpoint is seen as desirable. I don't see Brentford as a step up and financially I don't see them paying him much more than we could offer and afford.

Really liked him as a keeper so a bit gutted. Rumours that it might be Darlow in as a replacement.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:45 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:37 pm
Brentford 3 Rovers 2 - clanger by Raya
:yeahright:

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:04 pm

Raya makes it to Wembley. Good for him, I hope he makes it to PL.

Raya wanted to leave, right? I have to wonder if Rovers had retained him, would our goals allowed have been much different? I guess the owners decided £3 mil was needed more than a skillful goalkeeper.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:30 am

I don't think there is an official account of what happened but it's believed there was a falling out to some degree with Mowbray. Disagreement with being criticised and then dropped for the final few games to give Leutwiler a go. Although I'm sure in an interview Raya just said something about wanting a new challenge and there weren't any problems with Mowbray.

Anyway, yes he's been probably the best goalkeeper in the league and I watched the game last night not only did he make a couple of crucial saves he played a key role in Watkins opening goal with some great quick distribution.

Given some of the clangers Walton has let in I think it's a safe bet Raya would have stopped of few of them. Saw some rumours about Prem clubs interested in him which isn't surprising.
Last edited by mcteeth on Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:16 pm

He had the most potential I’ve seen from a goalkeeper at this football club for years. He could play at the highest level if he keeps working hard. It’s a real shame he didn’t hang around, but c’est la vie.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:27 pm

Yeah one of the clubs rumoured was Man City. Can see why they might be interested given Raya's potential to act as a sweeper and how good his distribution is with the ball.

Have always thought if he keeps improving and working hard he could go pretty far.