Martin Taylor breaks Eduardo's leg

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Joe
Ageing international

Martin Taylor breaks Eduardo's leg

Post by Joe » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:11 pm

The tackle doesn't look too bad from the footage.

But this picture shows the extent of the injury:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4CS1our ... h_response

I suppose I better say "warning, not a picture for the faint hearted" seeing as sky refused to show replays of it. Kind of reminiscent of Cisse/Smith/Bust broken legs

Just found an even worse one,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQzABVGsy4

liamBWFC
New signing

Re: Martin Taylor breaks Eduardo's leg

Post by liamBWFC » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:38 pm

His 3 match ban should be more. The challange was horrific!!!

Studs showing, off the ground. Absolute reckless challange.

http://www.vg.no/bilder/edrum/1203772672438_618.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/em ... ndrews.jpg

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2579/1963628uj6.jpg

Left the 1st one showing because its the horrific challange, the other 3 are very very nasty.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Very bad challenge indeed. I always remember Taylor was a bit of a 'gentle giant' when he was here so I never classed him as a dirty player, I haven't seen it in full speed yet but I'm pretty sure Taylor didn't intend to hurt Eduardo. Like McCleish said, I think Eduardo was just too quick for Taylor. I hope the extent of damage isn't too bad, I like Eduardo and comparing that today to some of the ones we've seen before, it could easily be a career-ender. :(

tomthebodz
Regular international

Post by tomthebodz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:28 pm

Wenger reckons Taylor should get a life time ban. If Taylor gets one he would be very unlucky. I mena Ben Thatcher did not get one after he nearly killed Pedro Mendes. Awful tackle. I hope that Eduardo fully recovers as he is a great player. I mean his leg just flopped around. Not sure if this one is as bad as Henrick Larssons though.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:03 am

Yeah, the lifetime ban comment was a bit much - probably down to the heat of the moment. You could see how upset Gallas was, it was quite touching (awww).

:sloppy:

furryfootball
New signing

Post by furryfootball » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:39 am

I think Wenger has since retracted his comments about a life time ban for Taylor. He was interviewed just after the game, with emotions still running high. The challenge was horrendous and sickening to see. I've seen it in real time and in slow motion, and it really does look like it could be really serious for Eduardo's career. I hope he comes back from this and that he career is not affected. As for Taylor, I don't know about a life time ban but I think he needs a severe punishment. Good luck to Eduardo.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:22 pm

if its just a dangerous tackle he should be punished as anyone else making such a tackle... likely a 2/3 game ban in my view. But he will doubtless be punished more than people who have done the same and missed because he was unfortunate enough to connect with a reckless lunge... something which i don't agree with.

Unless you can prove intent to injure a player then it is dangerous to think about harsher punishment based on the severity of the outcome.... its not like Roy Keane.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:13 pm

Agreed he poorly timed his challenge - but watching it on MOTD, he clearly goes for the ball. Eduardo taps it on at the last second, either to try and get it round Taylor, or so that taylor will concede a foul. Happens all the time. This time however it went horribly wrong. Just a horrible horrible accident, and I really hope the FA see sense and just penalise Taylor for the dismissal in the same way as any other. :|

kecheli
New signing

Post by kecheli » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:34 pm

An unfortunate position :-?
Eduardo was very good player
Good luck to Eduardo ;)

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:37 pm

I saw Motd last night and was listening to 5live today, and I have ti say I completely agree with Alan Green. Firstly that it was obviously a very badly timed and dangerous tackle. But also that it was completely unintentional and in football these things do happen sometimes, thankfully quite rarely. It's almost an implied risk that a footballer takes in playing the game.

I also agree with him that Wengers comments were 'disgraceful' even after his lame attempt at a retraction.

It was also pointed out how Wenger managed 'not to see' Eboue's challenge that got him sent off at United last week, but had no trouble seeing Eduardo's tackle. I'm sure Wenger's had this selective sight problem before.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:37 am

Wenger's the one who deserves a lifetime ban, he's constantly bringing the game into disrepute with his absurd allegations.

It was a bad challenge, no one could argue otherwise given the injury. But it wasn't malicious, and I think it's just extremely unlucky that Eduardo suffered a broken leg from it. I've said before that it's a hazard of the game, any challenge is potentially 'dangerous', simply because if your foot is planted and you receive a force pushing the other way, it can snap a bone. I think the ref was right to send Taylor off because of the injury, but you'll see several challenges like that every game that will just be punished by a freekick. I think Campo even got away with one on Dunn yesterday. The only way to stop bad injuries would be to outlaw all contact. And for Wenger to come out yet again and accuse players of trying to deliberately hurt other pros is disgraceful. I suppose there is some hope for him though, if he's retracted the statement...

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:46 am

Rover the Top wrote: And for Wenger to come out yet again and accuse players of trying to deliberately hurt other pros is disgraceful.
Is that sort of comment from Wenger Slander? Someone really wants to start doing something about his continual drivel.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:16 am

Joe wrote: I suppose I better say "warning, not a picture for the faint hearted" seeing as sky refused to show replays of it. Kind of reminiscent of Cisse/Smith/Bust broken legs
Just googled them to refresh my memory, and found some pretty horiffic ones.
http://harithsidek.blogspot.com/2007/10/ngeri.html

Head Rover Heels
Valued squad member

Post by Head Rover Heels » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:49 am

Tricky one for me this - Not the challenge, i've made up my mind about that already.

As far as i'm concerned, yes it was a bad tackle, but no worse than 10 or so that happen every single game - This was just one of those unlucky moments where everything conspires to make the worst possible outcome. I actually think that Tiny was unlucky to be sent off, but i guess when you see that kind of mess on the pitch, it's difficult for a referee to think that it's just a yellow.

However, Wenger's comments - I dunno - My first reaction was "shock" that wenger had actually seen this one, after the arguably worse tackle last week that he (again) just didn't see. Let's face it, hearing Wenger moan about how teams always try to kick them off the park isn't exactly new to Rovers. However, if it wasn't for the fact that he's got previous on this, his "harsh and unfair" comments were pretty much understandable in the heat of the moment context.

I think he's done the right thing in issuing a retraction - Something i don't think i've ever heard from him before. In all honesty, i think the only thing that the whole thing shows is that it's generally a bit of a bad idea to speak to managers immediately after the game. You can't expect them to make levelled and well thought out comments if you let them go through a high pressure situation for two hours, then ambush them 1 minute after it's all over, especially when you've had an injury like that, and had a dodgy penalty given against you in the last minute.

Fair play to Wenger for taking it back, and i sincerely hope both Eduardo and Tiny are able to play the game properly again. Hopefully this incident will also have a knock on effect on the ever increasing two footed tackles that i've actually heard people arguing "aren't necessarily dangerous" - If a one footed tackle, with no momentum behind it can do this, imagine what we would see if a real two footed horror actually connected "properly".

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:15 am

Fair play to Wenger for taking it back
It was hardly a reasonable retraction though considering the nature of his comments and allegations. All he said, If I remember correctly, is that perhaps his comments were a little harsh as they were said in the heat of the situation. He didn't apologise to Martin Taylor, which I think he should have considering he had said he should be banned for life and even, indirectly, compared the tackle to murder.