Today's random stupidity story...

There must be more to life than football?
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by Dan » Mon May 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Article from The Telegraph about BBC employees that have been controversially sacked, or not, and a bit of background on the photo

I saw it as a funny little monkey in a suit, didn't even cross my mind that it may be racist. Didn't even cross my mind that the baby is mixed race, or half American to be honest.

The photograph is a picture of famous 1920s chimpanzee Joe Mendi "the gentleman chimpanzee".
The primate was the most popular animal entertainer of the time.
He was billed as having "the intelligence of a five-year-old child" and toted around Broadway, New York by circus-owner Lew Backenstoe.
Tricks included playing a miniature piano, posing for photographs and drinking Coca-Cola at the local soda counter.
The picture shows the primate dressed to the nines as he attended “Trial of the Century,” the Scopes Monkey Trial in 1925.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed May 15, 2019 1:51 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-48281672

Lead Change UK candidate changes sides mid-campaign. I suppose it's in the spirit of how the party was founded...

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri May 31, 2019 4:16 pm

Big TV screen?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:14 am

I wonder if Danny Baker's wishing he made a "Royal Baby - acid attack" joke instead... :yeahright:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:55 pm

I'm struggling to see what the point in pursuing this is for Farage...

It's obvious it was a joke made by a comedian, to another comedian on a satirical show... Contrasted to Farages own threat to 'Don khakis and a rifle' following the brutal murder of a remain supporting MP that he brushed off as 'satire'.

Regardless... The best outcome for him would be that Jo brand losses some friends in the left who think it was overstepping, but anyone braying about left wing BBC bias or the like is already firmly assigned with Farage... I don't think the everyone's against us narrative is helped by the new 'snowflake Nigel image that this creates'.

Still.. is a lot of fun to see the same people who were defending the guy threatening to rape Jess Phillips as harmless satire suddenly sharing petitions to have the police investigate brand.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:51 am

theadore wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:55 pm

It's obvious it was a joke made by a comedian, to another comedian on a satirical show... Contrasted to Farages own threat to 'Don khakis and a rifle' following the brutal murder of a remain supporting MP that he brushed off as 'satire'.
Seriously? The whole point is neither comment was literal, you'd have to be grossly stupid to believe Farage was physically going to grab a gun and march off to find some actual battle lines that don't exist. But when people are apparently outraged from the use of a metaphor, it seems reasonable to expect those same people to do the same in other situations too. When they don't and show they do have the mental capacity to tell when someone isn't being literal, it highlights their disingenuity and scores some easy points for him. I'd be amazed if Farage is genuinely offended, but it's an open goal for him to highlight the blatant hypocrisy of the left and keep himself in the news.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:15 am

Basically what I said no? There is little other than context between the two comments and metaphorical or no I personally think they are both ill conceived... But if brand is out of line and worthy of criminal proceedings then so was Farage... And more importantly so will be be next time he inevitably puts his foot in it.

It keeps him in the news, but as anti free speech and humourless which goes against his plain spoken 'charm'... And next time he says something contentious (or a member of his burgeoning unvetted party of UKIP refugees) he will be bogged down defending why it's ok for him to 'joke' but not Jo brand.

Still... He could parade through London dressed as an infamous Austrian historical figure and he'd still be doing a better job of running a party than change UK

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:04 pm

theadore wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:15 am
Basically what I said no? There is little other than context between the two comments and metaphorical or no I personally think they are both ill conceived... But if brand is out of line and worthy of criminal proceedings then so was Farage... And more importantly so will be be next time he inevitably puts his foot in it.

It keeps him in the news, but as anti free speech and humourless which goes against his plain spoken 'charm'... And next time he says something contentious (or a member of his burgeoning unvetted party of UKIP refugees) he will be bogged down defending why it's ok for him to 'joke' but not Jo brand.

Still... He could parade through London dressed as an infamous Austrian historical figure and he'd still be doing a better job of running a party than change UK
Apologies, way I read it was you thought Brand was making a joke but Farage had made an actual threat and tried to brush it off as "satire". Your inverted commas are in the wrong place if you think neither comment was intended literally.

I think you'd have more of a point if there was never any outcry over what the likes of Farage and Johnson said, no one ever reported them to the police or tried to take legal action against them for trumped up, bonkers reasons. From the perspective of a Farage supporter it will come across as one rule for them, another for their opponents.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:19 pm

I can see how it reads that way in fairness... The satire inverted commas were more in reference to the way it is being used by people like Carl Benjamin... I.e. say offensive thing, mean it, if called on it claim satire

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:21 am

And the hypocrisy continues over this Mark Field incident.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:24 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49084466

Does that mean eating a raw carrot outside a kebab shop would get a similar fine?

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:32 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:24 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49084466

Does that mean eating a raw carrot outside a kebab shop would get a similar fine?
Try it and let us know ;)