General Election

There must be more to life than football?
User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27422
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:29 am

I didn't say you said he said you did... :hyper:

So you don't understand how brushing an incident under the carpet is part of a trend of brushing similar incidents under the carpet, and in completely unrelated point that you've randomly thrown in for no reason, you don't work for the Labour party? :lol:

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13675
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:35 am

I think I reject the central premise that this was what occurred. And me saying as much isn't an example of the Labour party brushing it under the carpet - because I don't work for them. See what I did there? :D

I've got no issue with freedom of speech for idiots. That's what this was. They sent their email. It was duly ignored.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27422
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:58 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:35 am
I think I reject the central premise that this was what occurred. And me saying as much isn't an example of the Labour party brushing it under the carpet - because I don't work for them. See what I did there? :D

Yes, changed blackbat's point. :shrug: He didn't say it was the Labour party brushing it under the carpet, he just said there's a trend of brushing it under the carpet. If I, for example, said the Tiananmen Square massacre didn't happen, that would still be me denying it even though I don't work for the Chinese government. Argue whether you're actually downplaying it or not, but saying you can't be because you're not on their payroll makes no sense whatsoever.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13675
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm glad that you've got the right to say that even though you are an idiot. People ignoring you isn't brushing it under the carpet. If I worked for the Labour party (which I don't, just to be clear) then me ignoring your idiocy about Tienanmen Square (or indeed Tiananmen Square which is a whole other conspiracy theory no doubt) would be just fine and dandy. Actually, I think I'll ignore it right now, just to prove the point.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27422
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:37 pm

I think you've sidestepped the point I was making with the example there, but never mind... If Dan now says the Tiananmen Square massacre didn't happen, and you also ignore that to prove a point, and Gibbon said it didn't happen, and you ignored that, and blackbat said it, and so on, then you are brushing aside a trend of denial of a significant moment in history. Even if it is only one "idiot" at a time and you don't work for the Labour party. :yeahright:

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 18150
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:48 pm

I’m honoured to be one of your example idiots. :lol:

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13675
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:37 pm
I think you've sidestepped the point I was making with the example there, but never mind... If Dan now says the Tiananmen Square massacre didn't happen, and you also ignore that to prove a point, and Gibbon said it didn't happen, and you ignored that, and blackbat said it, and so on, then you are brushing aside a trend of denial of a significant moment in history. Even if it is only one "idiot" at a time and you don't work for the Labour party. :yeahright:
Of course I did, that's what having a conversation with you and BlackBat consists of - making logical arguments about things which are unrelated to the initial point so you can continue to argue. You may disagree however :hyper:

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27422
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:48 pm
I’m honoured to be one of your example idiots. :lol:
You're welcome. :D

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27422
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:52 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Of course I did, that's what having a conversation with you and BlackBat consists of - making illogical arguments about things which are unrelated to the initial point so you can continue to argue. You may disagree however :hyper:

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13675
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:54 pm

You OK RTT? :shrug:

You seem to be having posting issues.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15005
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:48 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:51 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:37 pm
I think you've sidestepped the point I was making with the example there, but never mind... If Dan now says the Tiananmen Square massacre didn't happen, and you also ignore that to prove a point, and Gibbon said it didn't happen, and you ignored that, and blackbat said it, and so on, then you are brushing aside a trend of denial of a significant moment in history. Even if it is only one "idiot" at a time and you don't work for the Labour party. :yeahright:
Of course I did, that's what having a conversation with you and BlackBat consists of - making logical arguments about things which are unrelated to the initial point so you can continue to argue. You may disagree however :hyper:
I take offence at this: I usually acknowledge when a fair and logical point has been put forward.

:P

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27422
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:47 pm

:doh:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15005
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:24 am

Tom Watson's interview on radio 4 after the panorama program on anti semitism was very interesting; pretty much called out Corbyn to change the party rules to allow auto expulsion of members who exhibit anti semitic sentiment. Will be very interesting to see if that happens.

Also his comments on the NDAs were very poignant, he genuinely sounded dismayed that Labour had issued gagging orders despite having campaigned against them for years.

Regardless of where you stand on how much of the sentiment is legitimate criticism of the Israeli government and how much goes too far into anti semitism, they've continued to make a right mess of taking the accusations seriously and handling them properly. And judging by Jenny Formby's retort to Watson, will continue to do so....

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27422
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:59 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:24 am
Tom Watson's interview on radio 4 after the panorama program on anti semitism was very interesting; pretty much called out Corbyn to change the party rules to allow auto expulsion of members who exhibit anti semitic sentiment. Will be very interesting to see if that happens.
Why would Corbyn change rules to allow himself be automatically expelled? It's more likely to lead to Watson being forced out.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15005
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:48 am

Oh I don't disagree that he won't change the rules, but I do disagree there's be grounds to expel him, but it really will be interesting to see what happens. I don't think Corbyn is anti-semitic, and I don't think any rule change would mean he'd be expelled. There are certainly others that demonstrate a much closer line to that; stating that the Israeli embassy is responsible for the anti semitism claims for instance is one. There's a way to put it all to bed by making some changes; whether they do or not will be interesting. If they don't then the obvious course would be a split and those who are more centrist either align with the Lib Dems or start a fresh party.

Post Reply