General Election

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:30 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Which if the Conservative Party stays under Boris Johnson's control is what you've got. :lol: ;)
There's a whole load of subjective going into drawing that conclusion. And to be fair, the Full Fact article covers the quote. Saying you won't do something under conditions you don't expect to happen is not the same as saying you won't do it. I'd be surprised if it's the last time they correct Abbott during the campaign.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:30 pm
Gibbon wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Which if the Conservative Party stays under Boris Johnson's control is what you've got. :lol: ;)
There's a whole load of subjective going into drawing that conclusion. And to be fair, the Full Fact article covers the quote. Saying you won't do something under conditions you don't expect to happen is not the same as saying you won't do it. I'd be surprised if it's the last time they correct Abbott during the campaign.
Oh I know. I’m slightly teasing you and myself. ;)

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:44 pm

Fair enough, think I've got too used to blackbat trying to argue black is white... :D

I think with every day it just gets more depressing how we only have a choice between several sets of incompetent liars.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:00 am

So our pro Brexit party has now blocked release of Russian interference report, suspended Arcuri criminal investigation, now not investigating Islamaphobia within the party. All in the build up to the election.

That along with doctored social media advertising and pretty much lying about everything as well.

What a depressing sign of the times.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 am

mcteeth wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:00 am
So our pro Brexit party has... ...suspended Arcuri criminal investigation,
You'll no doubt be pleased to learn that one isn't true.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:15 am

Okay delayed not suspended. Still equally bad. The grant to Arcuri was clearly not above board.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 am

Given the further reports over the weekend about Russian funding and Johnson blocking publication of the report.

I'm fascinated to know what your cons were in relation to it being published prior to the election. Especially given that it is the primary issue he is framing his campaign around.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:48 am

mcteeth wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:15 am
Okay delayed not suspended.
In a statement, the watchdog said: “The IOPC strongly refutes claims published in The Observer. This matter has not been finalised.

“We have not delayed any announcements on the status of this referral.

“Our assessment of this matter is ongoing as we continue to collect information and seek legal advice.”
So not delayed either.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:29 am

Whatever. Again, it's not really the most important.

I'd be surprised if anything overly damaging with this and then other issues will be published prior to the election.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:32 am

mcteeth wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 am
Given the further reports over the weekend about Russian funding and Johnson blocking publication of the report.

I'm fascinated to know what your cons were in relation to it being published prior to the election. Especially given that it is the primary issue he is framing his campaign around.
The question is what would be the normal procedure and if it would be reasonable for that to be affected by a GE. As I said before, I don't have enough facts to know what should happen. We've seen quite a bit recently that politicians from all sides can argue things should be faster or slower depending on how it benefits them. Just because opponents of the government insist a report should be released, it doesn't mean that's true. There's as much to be gained from them falsely alleging a cover up as there is from the government delaying a damaging report. I don't take what any of them say for granted.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:48 am

Well has Dominic Grieve not stated that normal procedure is 10 working days and the report was handed over to N10 on 17th October. That timeline has unsurprisingly been disputed.

The arguement about whether it should be published I think answers itself. 9 Russians named for funding the party and concerns about interference in our politics. That is information the public should be aware of especially prior to a GE.

I really do find your stance on a lot of these things quite staggering. As if the bits of information that are out there are of no concern.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:11 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:48 am
Well has Dominic Grieve not stated that normal procedure is 10 working days and the report was handed over to N10 on 17th October. That timeline has unsurprisingly been disputed.
Exactly, and I've no idea who to believe. I've heard enough of Grieve over the last few years to know he's very selective about what he says in public, meanwhile no. 10 are hardly going to confirm if they are artificially delaying things. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle. And probably doesn't even matter - as you're demonstrating, leaks and allegations of a cover up do at least as much damage as the report could. Do you think you'd hold a different opinion if they did suddenly publish it?

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:01 pm

It would strengthen my opinion further to know all the information.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Well at least you admit you're not looking at it objectively.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Russian business people funding the Tories with multiple millions...

I don't really see the positives sorry.
Last edited by mcteeth on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.