Current Events/News

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Current Events/News

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:23 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:17 am

I think you've approached this discussion from the point of view that I want to immediately label you as a "climate change denier".
No, just responding to the actual words you posted.

"Definitely no such thing as climate change though, right?"
"Yet your stance, RTT, seems to be we should do nothing because it's inconvenient, or we don't know for sure we're causing it so let's not change anything at all (though if we're wrong about that then.... whoops), or what?"
" I think the climate change denial tag would appear to fit."
"Your flippant responses also just seem to confirm my opinion that we shouldn't bother doing anything and instead stumble headlong into the abyss...."
" bury your head in the sand, continue to advocate to do nothing because there isn't proof, and so continue to escalate the problem."

But then given how you respond to my posts, maybe you expect me to deduce the opposite of what you say?

I was hoping this conversation would work out differently, that for once we could address the actual aims of tackling climate change, or at least establish why it's taboo in some quarters to even contemplate the costs. Oh well...

RofTheRovers
New signing

Post by RofTheRovers » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:08 pm

It's good to see our hero Boris has finally emerged from his shag bunker.

Regarding that. I suspect that as he has so many illegitimate children the chances that his current woman is his own daughter are pretty high. Neighhhhhhhh!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:23 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:17 am

I think you've approached this discussion from the point of view that I want to immediately label you as a "climate change denier".
No, just responding to the actual words you posted.

"Definitely no such thing as climate change though, right?"
"Yet your stance, RTT, seems to be we should do nothing because it's inconvenient, or we don't know for sure we're causing it so let's not change anything at all (though if we're wrong about that then.... whoops), or what?"
" I think the climate change denial tag would appear to fit."
"Your flippant responses also just seem to confirm my opinion that we shouldn't bother doing anything and instead stumble headlong into the abyss...."
" bury your head in the sand, continue to advocate to do nothing because there isn't proof, and so continue to escalate the problem."

But then given how you respond to my posts, maybe you expect me to deduce the opposite of what you say?

I was hoping this conversation would work out differently, that for once we could address the actual aims of tackling climate change, or at least establish why it's taboo in some quarters to even contemplate the costs. Oh well...
I think you'll find you brought up climate change denial as a phrase first, and have stuck with it repeatedly throughout.

But that doesn't fit with your perception of the conversation, so carry on with whatever you want to believe.

You try and make out you're the one open to dialogue, yet shut any disagreement down immediately with insults and jibes. :shrug:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:45 pm

RofTheRovers wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:08 pm
It's good to see our hero Boris has finally emerged from his shag bunker.

Regarding that. I suspect that as he has so many illegitimate children the chances that his current woman is his own daughter are pretty high. Neighhhhhhhh!
:lol: There are so many questions about how these children came to be, but I don't think anyone wants to think too long about it...

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:20 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:29 pm

I think you'll find you brought up climate change denial as a phrase first, and have stuck with it repeatedly throughout.
Yes I used the specific phrase first, but you sarcastically implied it right from your first post. You moan about pedantry and nuance, but here you are doing the exact thing you object to. But at least you're talking about words I actually used this time... that's progress. :hyper:

You try and make out you're the one open to dialogue, yet shut any disagreement down immediately with insults and jibes. :shrug:
Where? I responded to your "bait taken" jibe in kind and maybe the odd similar remark, but you'll have to highlight where I've used insults or mockery to reply to your debating points rather than giving my own opinion back. That despite nearly every post from you containing some little dig at my character rather than my words:

"No, it's just there's no point debating things with you."
"Unless someone explicitly lists every case you cherry pick your arguments to single stats."
"But that doesn't fit your agenda, so you'll simply point to a single event and declare it a single event."
"Thought that much was obvious, should have remembered you can't do interpretation, nuance etc: spelled out in black and white only for RTT."
"Like I said: not worth bothering entering discussion."
"and it's an example so don't get too bogged down on that - I know you find that hard."
" Your opinion is set and you're more interested in finding tiny holes than having an open minded discussion."
"You're bonkers mate."
"I really wonder what your motivation is, and currently I'm pretty surprised you haven't joined the flat earthers."

It's up to you if you want to own those comments and accept they make you exactly what you're complaining about. I don't believe you can make a similar case against me, I don't think I aimed anything at you until after you crossed a line in offensiveness by saying I was in favour of exploiting workers and putting kids down mines. But I apologise if you've taken something the wrong way.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:20 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Yes I used the specific phrase first, but you sarcastically implied it right from your first post. You moan about pedantry and nuance, but here you are doing the exact thing you object to. But at least you're talking about words I actually used this time... that's progress. :hyper:

Where? I responded to your "bait taken" jibe in kind and maybe the odd similar remark, but you'll have to highlight where I've used insults or mockery to reply to your debating points rather than giving my own opinion back. That despite nearly every post from you containing some little dig at my character rather than my words:

"No, it's just there's no point debating things with you."
"Unless someone explicitly lists every case you cherry pick your arguments to single stats."
"But that doesn't fit your agenda, so you'll simply point to a single event and declare it a single event."
"Thought that much was obvious, should have remembered you can't do interpretation, nuance etc: spelled out in black and white only for RTT."
"Like I said: not worth bothering entering discussion."
"and it's an example so don't get too bogged down on that - I know you find that hard."
" Your opinion is set and you're more interested in finding tiny holes than having an open minded discussion."
"You're bonkers mate."
"I really wonder what your motivation is, and currently I'm pretty surprised you haven't joined the flat earthers."

It's up to you if you want to own those comments and accept they make you exactly what you're complaining about. I don't believe you can make a similar case against me, I don't think I aimed anything at you until after you crossed a line in offensiveness by saying I was in favour of exploiting workers and putting kids down mines. But I apologise if you've taken something the wrong way.
Perhaps it says a lot that you don't think middle class wokies is an insult then. Nor referring to "Saint Blackbat". Nor the derisive way you decided to deliberately be obtuse when I suggested that products should be sourced more locally and so that meant Stockport. Or all of your continuing disparaging jibes towards the left. Your approach to the discussion has been one of contempt right from the start, and it always is on every subject. Some of those insults aren't even aimed at me, but they show a distasteful approach to the discussion.

Hence why I don't believe it's worth arguing with you because either a) you're just on the wind up merchant front, or worse b) you literally have no intention of taking into account anybody else's point of view if it disagrees with yours, and in order to "win", you therefore continue to focus on minor points that you can try to ridicule, whilst ignoring the actual essence of the point being put forward.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:43 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Perhaps it says a lot that you don't think middle class wokies is an insult then. Nor referring to "Saint Blackbat". Nor the derisive way you decided to deliberately be obtuse when I suggested that products should be sourced more locally and so that meant Stockport. Or all of your continuing disparaging jibes towards the left. Your approach to the discussion has been one of contempt right from the start, and it always is on every subject. Some of those insults aren't even aimed at me, but they show a distasteful approach to the discussion.
As I just said, I aimed a few jibes back at you after you turned up the offensiveness level of your own digs by claiming I was in favour of exploiting workers and sending kids down mines. Other than that you've got nothing - "middle class wokies" was referring to a specific type of person I encounter across various media formats, with a holier-than-thou dictatorial attitude, and seemingly blissfully unaware that they have the opposite impact to what they want. The kind who applaud Joaquin Phoenix for wearing a suit more than once, or think digging up an ancient lawn makes a good protest. Maybe it's a slightly derogatory term, but it wasn't aimed at you and in context was the best fit. I don't see why you've taken exception to the use, but I apologise for inadvertently offending you. However, I used the phrase to add weight to the point I was making, not "immediately shut down" the debate. Examples of that would be putting things like "bait taken" or "no point debating things with you"... ;)

You seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder about some long forgotten disagreement, you're carrying that into every conversation, and adding context that isn't there to set a sour tone. Have some self-awareness, look back at your own posts and think how you would receive them. The contempt was brought by you, from that very first "bait taken" comment, and continued throughout as I've already shown. It's no skin off my back that you'd rather go for me rather than the opinion I'm voicing, it actually reinforces my points. But if you don't like insults, nor the reaction you're getting to your own posting style, then maybe you should change tact and drop the constant flow of ad hominem digs? You know what they say about people who live in glass houses.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:11 am

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:55 am

It's all a conspiracy to increase membership of the Zorbing community.....

RofTheRovers
New signing

Post by RofTheRovers » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:59 pm

I have to say. Watching Question Time on BBC last night (and the interview with the medical parts manufacturer and that utter shitester of a business minister Nadhim Zahawi) was the final nail in the coffin for me. I was kind of trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but The Conservatives have been an absolute shambles.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status ... 9529666560

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status ... 4404352000

:doh: :doh: :doh:

It's no surprise at all that now the shit is about to hit the fan that the coward Johnson has closed down parliament and ran off to his country retreat.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:34 am

I find it typical of this government that a prominent Brexit supporter gets a huge contract in these times. I’m guessing like most of their other products, Dyson’s ventilators will be vastly over priced.

*This opinion is based on gut feeling and heavily coloured by my political prejudices. Hurray! :hyper:

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:03 pm

Why did they need to invent a new ventilator? Ventilators that function exist, they need more of them not entirely different ones. What a waste of funding.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:04 pm

RofTheRovers wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:59 pm
I have to say. Watching Question Time on BBC last night (and the interview with the medical parts manufacturer and that utter shitester of a business minister Nadhim Zahawi) was the final nail in the coffin for me. I was kind of trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but The Conservatives have been an absolute shambles.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status ... 9529666560

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status ... 4404352000

:doh: :doh: :doh:

It's no surprise at all that now the shit is about to hit the fan that the coward Johnson has closed down parliament and ran off to his country retreat.
Except he hasn't and is quarantined in 10 Downing St.

Actually, at the moment, I have an awful lot of respect for what the government are currently doing; and without being too cryptic, I definitely have more knowledge of what that is than most at the moment.