Ryder Cup

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Ryder Cup

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:54 am

Just got an e-mail through saying I've been allocated tickets for next year's Ryder Cup. :hyper: I skived off school to go 16 years ago, been waiting for the chance to go again, but this is only the second time it'll have been held in the UK since then.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Ryder Cup

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 am

Europe have started well, early leads in three matches, with just Donald and controversial pick Harrington down by 2 in 2... But play has been halted because it's pissing down.

The weather is supposed to be much better tomorrow when I'm there, but I don't know how matches will be rescheduled if they don't finish today.

Lincoln Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Lincoln Rover » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 am

Rover the Top wrote: The weather is supposed to be much better tomorrow when I'm there, but I don't know how matches will be rescheduled if they don't finish today.
Surely a good thing for you?

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:30 am

hey it's time for LR's 6 monthly visit!

Lincoln Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Lincoln Rover » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:31 am

iamarover wrote:hey it's time for LR's 6 monthly visit!
Yep, see you in March guys.. :wave:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:07 am

Lincoln Rover wrote:
Rover the Top wrote: The weather is supposed to be much better tomorrow when I'm there, but I don't know how matches will be rescheduled if they don't finish today.
Surely a good thing for you?
Maybe, if they cram more play in so that they're where they should be for Sunday. That'll be good. I'll just have to reassess what time we need to be at the course for and where we need to go to see the action - not a problem, but me and my dad had picked out an area where we might be able to see two or three holes at once, and there'll be no point in going there if they've already played past them...

Lincoln Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Lincoln Rover » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:16 am

You, your Dad, and one or two other thousand...

It'll be an excellent atmosphere though, surely even if the 1st round isn't they'll start the second anyway?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:19 am

I've never been... but I've always imagined that live golf would be a difficult watch. A bit like standing at the roadside for a marathon.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:49 am

I can understand that you don't get to see every incident live, but it's not the same as watching a marathon, because each shot is a unique event. Stand by the roadside to watch a marathon, what you'll see is people run past. Move to a different part of the course, you'll see people run past, possibly in a different order but the action you see will look pretty much the same unless someone falls over or something. At golf tournaments, some people will follow one player round the whole course, see all the ups and downs of that round. Or you can do what we've always done, pick a spot where you think some drama might happen, watch the different players pass through, then go and find another viewpoint further along the course. And the scoreboards keep you in touch with what's happening elsewhere, you'll hear the cheers and then wait to find out what they mean.

I guess it's kind of similar to the results versus performances argument in football - if you're mainly interested in seeing who wins, then it's best to watch on TV. But if you like watching the game itself, then it's great live. And the atmosphere in 1993 was better than at any football or cricket match I've been to, it sounded great on the radio this morning too.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Marathon was probably the wrong comparison but point taken. I've assumed you would be best doing as you say... what if you follow one person and they turn out to be dull?

Was looking at graeme macdowells hole by hole on the guardianwebsite... looks like hole 14 onwards is his tip for a vantage point.

Is golf watching like cricket where people end up massively hammered by the end of the day just because they've beneath it for hours?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 pm

Too funny

The custom US waterproofs don't keep out water so they sent someone to the club shop to pick up a dozen.

Apparently the course is a mess with the water. Guessing its wellies tomorrow even if it does clear up

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Ian Poulter wrote:We are playing some golf but it's not on the course. It's EASports TW 2011 practice is practice. #TwitPict
http://twitpic.com/2tmnnc

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:53 pm

...and advertising is advertising... :scratch: :lol:

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:56 pm

also from his twitpic feed:
Paddy Harrington relaxing in the changing room. pure class