TV shows that are ace

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: TV shows that are ace

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:29 am

I keep wondering if I'm missing the good argument that has convinced 4 intelligent people (assuming they are smart since they became judges) that Dassey should remain in jail. All I can think is that they're either protecting the establishment, or they've got bogged down in deciding whether the investigators acted appropiately or not. The former is clearly wrong, and the latter shouldn't be relevant. They have a confession that doesn't really match the details of the crime, and the interview techniques provide an explanation for how that could be without needing further condemnation.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:41 pm

America 2017.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:49 pm

More likely: afraid of setting precedent.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:50 am

Blackburn: A town still divided

Panorama tonight, 8:30 if anyone's interested.
Blackburn was once described as one of the most segregated towns in Britain by the author of a report on riots across northern England. In 2007, Panorama found Blackburn's Muslim Asian and white communities were living worlds apart.
A decade on Panorama has returned to find a town that is even more divided.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:12 pm

Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:50 am
Blackburn: A town still divided

Panorama tonight, 8:30 if anyone's interested.
Blackburn was once described as one of the most segregated towns in Britain by the author of a report on riots across northern England. In 2007, Panorama found Blackburn's Muslim Asian and white communities were living worlds apart.
A decade on Panorama has returned to find a town that is even more divided.
Maybe this programme will break from the norm, but I've seen a number of "outside looking in" articles that want to point the finger over why there's no integration, instead of understanding it's ok for two different cultures to exist side by side.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed May 22, 2019 9:19 am

Game of Thrones ratings by episode:

Maybe the writers have had a moment of inspiration: make a piss-poor final series and no one will be upset that that it was only 6 episodes and that's it...

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed May 22, 2019 11:50 am

:lol:

Will be interested to see whether it evens out over time as the initial knee jerk reaction dies down. I'm definitely in the slightly negative camp - but this feels a lot like a standard internet bandwagon at the moment

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed May 22, 2019 12:00 pm

To be fair a large chunk of people who dislike this season seem to be have put Daenerys, Jon, Jamie or A.N.Other on pedestals and flipped out at the writers perceived betrayal of their favourite character.

Dramatically the writers made a huge error in episode 3 - which would have been better placed as episode 6, as that threat had become the driving force of the whole series.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Wed May 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Petition to remake season 8 has been signed over 1.4 million times already

Obviously it's not going to happen, but I suppose it's just a way for fans to show how unhappy they are at how it ended. I personally was a bit disappointed - it seemed a bit rushed and so many things that were bigged-up as being "really important" were just forgotten or ignored completely.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed May 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Internet hysteria to one side both season 7 and season 8 have been pretty poor considering seasons 1 to 6. It seem pretty evident that with no books to follow anymore the writers struggled to maintain the level of plot development.

I don't have a particular issue with the ending or particular elements of what has happened in terms of the story, it's just been quite poorly executed with too many floor and holes in the story they're telling. I'd go as far as saying season 8 was also pretty badly acted too.

Some of the scenes towards the end were laughably bad considering the standards once set.

Chernobyl has been a far better watch in recent weeks as Thrones finally petered out.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed May 22, 2019 1:30 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:00 pm
Dramatically the writers made a huge error in episode 3 - which would have been better placed as episode 6, as that threat had become the driving force of the whole series.
I was thinking this actually... it could even have played out the same way - made it a redemptive act. Either way - concluding a plot that has run for 8 series in a single episode / event was unsatisfying.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed May 22, 2019 2:10 pm

I do have some sympathy for the writers, in so far that expectations were astronomical and the guy who invented the story hasn't come up with his own ending yet. But it felt like they were just ticking off boxes and forgetting the complexity of how the story had been built up. And what was the reasoning for squashing it all into 6 episodes? I agree with Gibbon that episode 3 should have been the climax, it was the underlying storyline that had been brewing away from the first scene. Instead it felt like they were tying up a loose end as they rushed to finish things off. whereas once characters were killed off for shock and drama, now it seemed they needed to trim down the cast. And they didn't create any suspense or anticipation. They just hurried through everything to get it wrapped up.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed May 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:10 pm
I do have some sympathy for the writers, in so far that expectations were astronomical and the guy who invented the story hasn't come up with his own ending yet. But it felt like they were just ticking off boxes and forgetting the complexity of how the story had been built up. And what was the reasoning for squashing it all into 6 episodes? I agree with Gibbon that episode 3 should have been the climax, it was the underlying storyline that had been brewing away from the first scene. Instead it felt like they were tying up a loose end as they rushed to finish things off. whereas once characters were killed off for shock and drama, now it seemed they needed to trim down the cast. And they didn't create any suspense or anticipation. They just hurried through everything to get it wrapped up.
Totally agree with this...what is done is done and a remake should not happen. I question too the 1.4 million people who voted for a remake. First i knew i had voted for a remake is when the wife told me i had voted! ;)

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Wed May 22, 2019 7:15 pm

I’m already over GoT... hurray for Chernobyl! Utterly horrifying, grim and scary but gripping television and incredibly well made. I’d strongly recommend it. It’s currently sat above GoT and Breaking Bad as the highest rated TV show of all time.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed May 22, 2019 10:29 pm

There's something tragically wrong with a world where the very real Chernobyl disaster can be viewed as similar entertainment to fantasy such as Game of Thrones.