An ethical question...

There must be more to life than football?
doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by doz_magic_man » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:11 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Well for a start, there's more of a chance of incest taking place that way - what if the girl became romantically involved with said family friend?

Eh? She'd be inheriting the eggs of a non-relative instead of her mother, the sperm donor can be whoever she wants and then she won't be giving birth to her half-brother/sister.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:56 pm

doz_magic_man wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:Well for a start, there's more of a chance of incest taking place that way - what if the girl became romantically involved with said family friend?

Eh? She'd be inheriting the eggs of a non-relative instead of her mother, the sperm donor can be whoever she wants and then she won't be giving birth to her half-brother/sister.
You do understand what's taking place here don't you?

She's being donated eggs. There ISN'T a sperm donor, she'll get knocked up to give birth. One would assume this will be her partner? So, take the example that her best friend donates the eggs. The girl then happens to fall in love with her best friend's brother; if he is the father the kids will be incestous. Capiche?

The one way which is far more likely to guarantee that incest doesn't take place is if the eggs come from her own family; her own dna will never ever be involved in the equation, so as long as she doesn't get pregnant to a family member everything is cool from a genetic level.

Pete
New signing

Post by Pete » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:34 pm

if the mother has donated the eggs for her she will have to have the IVF treatment so her future partner would have to jizz into a cup so they can put them into a cocktail shaker and start makin' babies!

So i think in that way there would have to be a sperm donor. She wouldnt be able to get preggers the normal way

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by doz_magic_man » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:23 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
doz_magic_man wrote:

She's being donated eggs. There ISN'T a sperm donor, she'll get knocked up to give birth. One would assume this will be her partner? So, take the example that her best friend donates the eggs. The girl then happens to fall in love with her best friend's brother; if he is the father the kids will be incestous. Capiche?

No shit sherlock. :roll:

The way you first wrote it I thought you were suggesting that the girl might fall in love with the donor of the eggs. The chances of incest occurring in the situation you describe are remote at best considering the age-gap, and in any event they could ask a female family friend who is an only child to donate their eggs.

This would be a better situation than her giving birth to a half brother/sister which is unavoidable using the mother's eggs, because the highly unlikely incestuous scenario you have described can be avoided.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:05 pm

doz_magic_man wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:
doz_magic_man wrote:

No shit sherlock. :roll:

The way you first wrote it I thought you were suggesting that the girl might fall in love with the donor of the eggs. The chances of incest occurring in the situation you describe are remote at best considering the age-gap, and in any event they could ask a female family friend who is an only child to donate their eggs.

This would be a better situation than her giving birth to a half brother/sister which is unavoidable using the mother's eggs, because the highly unlikely incestuous scenario you have described can be avoided.
How is it unlikely that the girl could become involved with a relation of the friend who donated the eggs? :-? And why would there be an age gap, even an only child could hve a son of her own? I thought it was a good point (at the second attempt).

All in all, I think it's a fucked up idea...

:-D

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:41 pm

I was thinking about siblings of the donor, silly me for not thinking of their children. In that case they could pick a friend who is not going to have any children! Incest could be avoided.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:35 am

Yeah I missed off an all important word or two from the original post... :oops: should have said \"with a relative of the donor\".

Why would there be an age gap? And how could it \"easily be avoided\"? Do you believe you can just decide who people come to fall for, cause if so, you should start teaching that trick, you'd make a shit load of money....

I don't see how it's any weirder whoever's eggs are involved. I don't see it being weirder giving birth to someone who's your half brother/sister than giving birth to someone who's genetic stock is that of a stranger. The only positive for it being a family member is that at least there is some kind continuation of the genetic material, and at least it would be part of the same family.

I agree it's a bit odd though, but only in the same way as sperm/egg donation is weird, test tube babies are weird and so on.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:49 am

I wonder what the value is of going to such lengths to be able to have children? Basically it's taking adoption back a step earlier. Would a woman feel more attached to a child by giving birth to it, even though she knew it still wasn't her own? :scratch:

streakyb
Valued squad member

Post by streakyb » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:15 am

What I want to know is how her mother is donating the egs. You can currently only store eggs if they have been fertilized. Therefore she would have to select as gather. I believe they are experimenting with removing whole ovaries and storing them.

The other option is the mother will, if she is still able to, provide eggs to the daughter when she is old enough.

There would be no problem if a friend donated eggs for above reasons. You would either be given them just before needing them (so you would know if the would be father was the friends brother) or they would be already fertilized.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:18 am

streakyb wrote:What I want to know is how her mother is donating the egs. You can currently only store eggs if they have been fertilized. Therefore she would have to select as gather. I believe they are experimenting with removing whole ovaries and storing them.

The other option is the mother will, if she is still able to, provide eggs to the daughter when she is old enough.

There would be no problem if a friend donated eggs for above reasons. You would either be given them just before needing them (so you would know if the would be father was the friends brother) or they would be already fertilized.
Fair enough.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:38 am

streakyb wrote:What I want to know is how her mother is donating the egs. You can currently only store eggs if they have been fertilized. Therefore she would have to select as gather. I believe they are experimenting with removing whole ovaries and storing them.

I got the impression it was something being done now, hence why it's in the news... there'd be no need to say anything if it was plans for the future.

streakyb
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by streakyb » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:55 am

Rover the Top wrote:I got the impression it was something being done now, hence why it's in the news... there'd be no need to say anything if it was plans for the future.
Which would mean the eggs would need to be fertilised. It seems that its a story with only half the facts presented to try and create and issue.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:14 am

streakyb wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:I got the impression it was something being done now, hence why it's in the news... there'd be no need to say anything if it was plans for the future.
Which would mean the eggs would need to be fertilised. It seems that its a story with only half the facts presented to try and create and issue.
Well, reading the article again: it clearly says the eggs will be frozen, it clearly says the father will be unrelated, the girl and future partner will have a choice in using the eggs, and the issues surrounding the psychological aspect remain in either case.

The implication is that the eggs don't need fertilising now, but it may be that that is one fact that has been omitted - if that is true, then there is a further complication, as the girl's future partner will have no genetic tie to the baby either.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:27 am

So you might as well just adopt....

streakyb
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by streakyb » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:28 am

Rover the Top wrote:The implication is that the eggs don't need fertilising now,
Which is wrong with current procedures. (This is the fact that confused my wife who is a proper Doctor).