General Election

There must be more to life than football?
User avatar
Hudson
Regular international
Posts: 982
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:45 pm
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Hudson » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:16 pm

So BoJo is the new PM. 92000 votes to 46000, so quite a considerable majority.

Expect mass resignations and protests :lol:

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27946
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:21 pm

We've entered the Twilight Zone.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15518
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:20 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:16 am
What the holy fuck to you too.
mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:17 pm

And when considering behaviour, let's consider your utterly deliberate obtuse response to the suggestion that not only the left is racist....
I don't see anyone saying "not only the left is racist", and I haven't responded to anyone thinking that's what they were saying. I even said I don't know what you're talking about. You then said it was the post at the top of the page, which is Gibbon "fixing" my post. So if you're interpretting that as saying "not only the left is racist", then logically the post it's correcting said "only the left is racist". Which was of course my post, and therefore you are indirectly implying I said only the left are racist.

It's either that or you're just trying to divert attention from points you can't answer by referring to a post that doesn't exist. :shrug:
Wow. Talk about clutching at straws.

The post at the top isn't Gibbon's post, it's yours: being deliberately obtuse.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15518
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:48 pm

Loving Jezza's response to BoJo winning his party's leadership contest. When Corbyn won the Labour party leadership contest, it was him being democratically elected with a clear mandate. BoJo on the other hand, has merely "won the support of fewer than 100,000 unrepresentative Conservative Party members".

Hypocrisy, much?

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27946
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:53 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:20 pm


Wow. Talk about clutching at straws.

The post at the top isn't Gibbon's post, it's yours: being deliberately obtuse.
:doh: You said "my response to the suggestion that not only the left is racist.... ". Yes? Do you dispute those were your exact words? You're talking about my reply to Gibbon "fixing" my post. Except the post Gibbon was "fixing" wasn't about the left being racist, and my reply was a valid point. No straws need be clutched at, you're just resisting acknowledging those three points because you might have to stop arguing for a minute. :roll:

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27946
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:09 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:48 pm
Loving Jezza's response to BoJo winning his party's leadership contest. When Corbyn won the Labour party leadership contest, it was him being democratically elected with a clear mandate. BoJo on the other hand, has merely "won the support of fewer than 100,000 unrepresentative Conservative Party members".

Hypocrisy, much?
He has a point in that it doesn't just make Johnson leader of the Tories, but PM as well. I've always thought if the ruling party changes leader and hence direction mid-term, it should go back to the electorate to seek a mandate to continue in government. The hypocrisy comes from the fact Labour were critical of May for doing just that. Although no doubt Corbyn didn't say so explicitly so can be distanced from it all.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15518
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:53 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:20 pm


Wow. Talk about clutching at straws.

The post at the top isn't Gibbon's post, it's yours: being deliberately obtuse.
:doh: You said "my response to the suggestion that not only the left is racist.... ". Yes? Do you dispute those were your exact words? You're talking about my reply to Gibbon "fixing" my post. Except the post Gibbon was "fixing" wasn't about the left being racist, and my reply was a valid point. No straws need be clutched at, you're just resisting acknowledging those three points because you might have to stop arguing for a minute. :roll:
And yet you claim you aren't pedantic nor obtuse.....

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15518
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:58 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:09 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:48 pm
Loving Jezza's response to BoJo winning his party's leadership contest. When Corbyn won the Labour party leadership contest, it was him being democratically elected with a clear mandate. BoJo on the other hand, has merely "won the support of fewer than 100,000 unrepresentative Conservative Party members".

Hypocrisy, much?
He has a point in that it doesn't just make Johnson leader of the Tories, but PM as well. I've always thought if the ruling party changes leader and hence direction mid-term, it should go back to the electorate to seek a mandate to continue in government. The hypocrisy comes from the fact Labour were critical of May for doing just that. Although no doubt Corbyn didn't say so explicitly so can be distanced from it all.
But had Labour been in government when Corbyn was elected leader, he would have become PM by the exact same democratic process he clings to and claims give him a clear mandate.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27946
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:25 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:57 pm


And yet you claim you aren't pedantic nor obtuse.....
It's neither pedantic nor obtuse when you're simply making up bollocks. :lol:

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27946
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:28 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:58 pm

But had Labour been in government when Corbyn was elected leader, he would have become PM by the exact same democratic process he clings to and claims give him a clear mandate.
Are you suggesting the venerable Mr Corbyn wouldn't call a GE in such a situation? :shock: :yeahright:

I wouldn't put it past him putting a no confidence vote in against himself. After all, he protested against his sacking of a shadow minister a couple of years ago... :D

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15518
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:36 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:25 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:57 pm


And yet you claim you aren't pedantic nor obtuse.....
It's neither pedantic nor obtuse when you're simply making up bollocks. :lol:
But I'm not making up bollocks. Or, do you seriously believe that Tom Watson or Jeremy Corbyn are right wing? :yeahright:

If you genuinely don't believe you were being obtuse then you really have lost the plot....

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9810
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: General Election

Post by theadore » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:12 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:48 pm
Loving Jezza's response to BoJo winning his party's leadership contest. When Corbyn won the Labour party leadership contest, it was him being democratically elected with a clear mandate. BoJo on the other hand, has merely "won the support of fewer than 100,000 unrepresentative Conservative Party members".

Hypocrisy, much?
Aside from the size of the membership difference... There is a clear difference between members electing a leader of the position and a PM. Both have a clear mandate to lead their parties... Not the country.

It isn't the reform of parliament that I feel is most pressing... But I understand the argument that if you're going to change leadership and therefore cabinet, policy etc. Then an election should be triggered.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15518
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:09 pm

theadore wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:12 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:48 pm
Loving Jezza's response to BoJo winning his party's leadership contest. When Corbyn won the Labour party leadership contest, it was him being democratically elected with a clear mandate. BoJo on the other hand, has merely "won the support of fewer than 100,000 unrepresentative Conservative Party members".

Hypocrisy, much?
Aside from the size of the membership difference... There is a clear difference between members electing a leader of the position and a PM. Both have a clear mandate to lead their parties... Not the country.

It isn't the reform of parliament that I feel is most pressing... But I understand the argument that if you're going to change leadership and therefore cabinet, policy etc. Then an election should be triggered.
The membership difference really isn't that much if you're considering representation at a country level. Hence why Corbyn failed to win the last general election. In addition, I'm sure if the Conservative party had opened up their registration policy to allow more right wingers to be affiliated or whatever it was that Labour called them, BoJo would have had an even bigger majority.

My point is exactly that both have a clear mandate to run their parties; hence why I'm calling out Corbyn for being a hypocrite.

I totally agree that reform is required, we need to have a system where a leader is actually being elected. We simply don't have that currently.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27946
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:40 am

But the full statement wasn't saying Johnson didn't have the right to lead the Conservative party, it was calling for a general election to decide who should be PM. Corbyn cannot be shown to be a hypocrite for that because he didn't become PM and therefore couldn't/didn't need to call a general election to confirm the electorate agree with his party's choice.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15518
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:11 am

Fair enough, the article I read only had the extract as quoted above.

Post Reply