General Election

There must be more to life than football?
mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: General Election

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 pm

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/ ... 0627130476

On the one hand that's funny, on the other it's just an utter shambles especially given the flack Labour received regarding spend.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:40 pm

It's obvious, the Tories have finally figured out how to grow the Magic Money Trees for themselves :D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:43 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 pm

On the one hand that's funny, on the other it's just an utter shambles especially given the flack Labour received regarding spend.
On the one hand it's funny that you're linking to a satirical site as though it's actual news, on the other it's just an utter shambles that Labour's spending plans could easily be mistaken for a spoof manifesto... :yeahright:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Mad. Crazy. Bonkers!

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:17 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:43 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 pm

On the one hand it's funny that you're linking to a satirical site as though it's actual news, on the other it's just an utter shambles that Labour's spending plans could easily be mistaken for a spoof manifesto... :yeahright:
Yes I only read the daily mash as my main source of news... :doh:

I don't have any issues with Labour's spending manifesto. But I do have issue with a government slinging over a billion down the drain on an election that was never needed. Especially with a party that has driven public services into the ground for 7 years, held a referendum on EU membership, divided the population more than I've known it and now put the peace process at risk.

And you're still slinging mud towards Labour :lol:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:51 am

So disregarding that the numbers in the little graph for each policy don't add up, aren't real and so on....

Firstly; the billion pound deal with the DUP is a shambles. It undermines the Westminster governmwnt as an arbiter in discussions under the Good Friday agreement, and also gives serious complaints to the other devolved governments, and any other localised areas. The DUP are just demonstrating exactly what i said on resukts day: there's only been one winner and that's the DUP.

Though I do take umbrance about it being "slung down the drain". It's going to go towards public services (in Northern Ireland) which is exactly what you want?

But the problem is, the real Labour figures were massive, and we would have to borrow horrifically to pay for them, resulting in "slinging" many billions down the drain in future interest payments. Like we're already doing from the PFI contracts from the last Labour administration.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:14 am

The figures on that graph were from the Conservative's smear, weren't they?

However expensive the labour policies may or may not have been, the conservatives STILL have to fund their regular manifesto pledges on top of the £1.5 billion that's earmarked for bribing the DUP.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:20 am

Gibbon wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:14 am
The figures on that graph were from the Conservative's smear, weren't they?

However expensive the labour policies may or may not have been, the conservatives STILL have to fund their regular manifesto pledges on top of the £1.5 billion that's earmarked for bribing the DUP.
They were ones stated in interviews by Labour MPs over time, collectes into a smear. Eg Abbott wanting to hire cops for ten grand a year.... that the amounts are so low is the point highlighting that in reality those costs would extend ten times over what was budgeted form

And it's not an additional 1.5 billion. Half a billion has already been provided in previous budgets; they're allowing more flexibility on how that's spent. The other billion is new and will have to be found by most likely making cuts elsewhere.

Still, in my view, economically more sound than the actual proposals by Labour; yes we'd have a bit more now, but we'd be bankrupt over the course of the next twenty years. Hence why I keep bringing up PFI: we've been there, done that and Labour still haven't learned from their mistakes.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:23 am

Bung innit.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:25 am

Bung indeed. Nothing good will come of this.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:23 am
Bung innit.
Is anything in politics anything else?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 am

Gibbon wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:25 am
Bung indeed. Nothing good will come of this.
I disagree. If you're in Northern Ireland, lots of new infrastructure's gonna happen.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:35 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 am
Ethiaa wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:23 am
Bung innit.
Is anything in politics anything else?
Yes. Politics is not just about the allocation of funds or things which directly impact on that. Of course if you use OUR governement as your baseline you may struggle to find a difference between them and a series of bungs.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:50 am

Effectively, semantics.

90% of the Labour manifesto was bungs. The Tory manifesto didn't have enough info in it to say if it was bungs; one assumes it was.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:08 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:51 am

Though I do take umbrance about it being "slung down the drain". It's going to go towards public services (in Northern Ireland) which is exactly what you want?
No, they want Labour to throw the money away... ;) Also, I find it bizarre that people who want a different government are up in arms about having a General Election. It was needed because the country is in a very different situation to 2015, the policies put forward at that election are not all relevant or feasible. It would be far more cynical to plough forward with a new PM just assuming free rein over how to deal with the unforeseen issues that are going to come up. But it seems some are so entrenched in their view that whatever the Tories do is wrong, they'd even argue against being given the chance to do something about it... :lol: