General Election

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 am

So you're saying a 2nd referendum would be distasteful? :D

Other than that your point makes no sense - the amendment was included, soundly beaten, and the vote to delay still passed. It'll be very hard to bring the idea up again now.

Strange that the current Brexit secretary argued for an extension then voted against it. I heard some Tories got confused the night before because the amendments meant May whipped against what had been her initial position. But now it's over to the EU to see if they'll grant an extension. Only needs one of the 27 countries to say no...

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:15 am

We don't deserve an extension, they've got no reason at all to agree that. It's nearly three years since the UK voted to leave the EU, and with two weeks to go nothing has been finalised. Our Government is a total embarrassment. It's like giving a 15 year old a homework deadline - "Sorry I just didn't do it in time" is never a valid excuse.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:56 am

Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:15 am
We don't deserve an extension, they've got no reason at all to agree that. It's nearly three years since the UK voted to leave the EU, and with two weeks to go nothing has been finalised. Our Government is a total embarrassment. It's like giving a 15 year old a homework deadline - "Sorry I just didn't do it in time" is never a valid excuse.
I agree, except they have one reason to agree to it - the EU has it's own problems to resolve when we leave. I think May has been so abjectly bad at negotiating, the EU forgot there's a whole country behind her who weren't going to surrender to a worse position. So haven't thought about where they will be if we turned down the "deal". Trade tariffs work both ways, it doesn't matter who is affected most. And the Irish border is a requirement for the EU, from a British perspective we could keep things as they are. So, I think most EU states will be happy to keep us in limbo indefinitely (that was the deal they were offering anyway). There are one or two that may be looking a little further down the line at their own potential futures, so they could use their vetoes.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:12 am

Employment rate highest on record, unemployment the lowest since 1975, real pay growth at 1.3%... cue idiots on Twitter rambling nonsense about manipulating figures, changing definitions and zero hour contracts...

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 16, 2019 8:39 am

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 24, 2019 10:30 am

Huzzah. May is going. In June which seems poetic if many, many months too late.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri May 24, 2019 10:33 am

I still can't see a new Tory leader having any more chance of breaking the impasse.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 24, 2019 10:49 am

No, but she still needed to go. She's been trying to run the country like Paul Ince managed Rovers...

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri May 24, 2019 11:42 am

Aye - it ran its course a long time ago...

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Fri May 24, 2019 11:43 am

Boris emerges from Number 10...

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Fri May 24, 2019 3:14 pm

If yer can't dance yer can't govern. This was Teresa's downfall. Plus she didn't have any dragons.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 24, 2019 3:49 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:14 pm
If yer can't dance yer can't govern. This was Teresa's downfall. Plus she didn't have any dragons.
Dragons only get you so far. What you really need is a gobby dwarf in your corner.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:12 pm

So... It's Boris for pm then... Regardless of how the MPs vote he seems a shoe in for the members based on this harrowing poll this morning...

Seemingly the only thing the Tories fear more than no Brexit is the looming Spectre of Communist jez... Hardly surprising since they all lived through the cold war I suppose. Unfortunately for the other candidates it's pretty clear Corbyn would lose an election against the empty channel 4 podium right now.

Still... Boris is clever allegedly, maybe he could surprise us all...

His first policy out of the gate is a 20 billion pounds giveaway to people who earn over £50k... Paid for by 10 billion extra national insurance contributions from the rest of us, and 10 billion extra borrowing... That's one way to end austerity I guess... :|

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:23 am

Didn’t he suggest that the £10 billion extra would come from the contingency fund for a hard Brexit? And yet he’s pushing for a hard Brexit as well? :yeahright:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:29 am

It could be an astute economic policy in the long run, but it's always difficult to sell politically because opponents will focus on the immediate beneficiaries rather than how the tax cut will recycle through the economy. It's funny how people moan about, for example, loss of jobs in the car industry, but don't want anyone to be able to afford new cars.

As for Johnson, it's hard to imagine him being a good prime minister. Whilst his bumbling personality makes him popular with some, others take exception to him as a point of principle. I don't think the hatred is always justified, but that doesn't really matter. He's going to be divisive, and that's a problem.

But no one stands out as a better choice out of the remaining candidates, and surely anyone is better than May?