General Election

There must be more to life than football?
Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: General Election

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:30 am

I guess labour could learn a thing or two from the Tory tactic of simply ignoring accusations of Islamophobia.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:30 am
I guess labour could learn a thing or two from the Tory tactic of simply ignoring accusations of Islamophobia.
If they "ignored" it like this or this, then that would definitely be better than using whataboutery as an excuse. But again, it's not an issue you need to look over the fence for. Labour's problem has nothing to do with the Tories, there's no reason to even mention them.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Fantastic example of whataboutery there by taking a post I made about Bercow criticising his fellow tories for anti-semitism and within a handful of posts completely refocussing the discussion onto Labour’s problems. ;)

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:25 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:28 pm
Fantastic example of whataboutery there by taking a post I made about Bercow criticising his fellow tories for anti-semitism and within a handful of posts completely refocussing the discussion onto Labour’s problems. ;)
That's plainly disingenuous. If you'd raised the Bercow comments in isolation, you'd have a point. But you didn't, you brought them up quoting earlier posts about Labour's anti-semitism. Even the article you linked to is framed in the context of the allegations against Labour. And you stressed it was "not from Labour members". I responded to that distinction. :shrug:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:05 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:25 pm
Gibbon wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:28 pm
That's plainly disingenuous. If you'd raised the Bercow comments in isolation, you'd have a point. But you didn't, you brought them up quoting earlier posts about Labour's anti-semitism. Even the article you linked to is framed in the context of the allegations against Labour. And you stressed it was "not from Labour members". I responded to that distinction. :shrug:
Ah, that was lazy of me. I came back to the thread and it had shifted away from anti-semitism to debating the next labour leadership, so I just nipped back a couple of pages and quoted the first post regarding anti-semitism I spotted. I'm not even sure why I did that. :lol:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:25 pm

Right. Well on Bercow alone, there's plenty of genuine reasons to have a go at him, his ethnicity isn't one of them. It's difficult to comment further without knowing who the perpetrators were, what complaints were made, what evidence is available, and so on. The Conservative party attracts it's share of people with unsavoury views, and it will always be an ongoing process of weeding them out.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:44 am

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:34 am

Link broken? Or CONSPIRACY? :paranoid: :hyper:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:38 am

Definitely a conspiracy. :paranoid:

should be working now

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:07 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51797316

If you know anything about Trevor Phillips, you'd realise how ridiculous this is. I'm just waiting for the racism thing to turn into Mccarthyism next, it's where this sort if stuff usually goes.
Last edited by mrblackbat on Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:28 am

I was going to post the same article. On face value, seems like taking revenge against him and says more about where the Labour party is currently at. I can only wonder about the people behind these decisions. Are they just blissfully unaware how things look from the outside?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:30 am

I don't think this is just the Labour party.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:17 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:30 am
I don't understand what you mean? How is the Labour Party's decision to suspend someone not just Labour? Who else does it involve? Because that would be an even bigger story.

Or are you referring to how there's efforts from some quarters to conflate justifiable criticism of a certain religion with genuine racism?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:17 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:30 am
I don't understand what you mean? How is the Labour Party's decision to suspend someone not just Labour? Who else does it involve? Because that would be an even bigger story.

Or are you referring to how there's efforts from some quarters to conflate justifiable criticism of a certain religion with genuine racism?
Yes the latter, it seems to be becoming more and more common for racism (and extended to discrimination in general) to be being used as a foil to damage someone rather than having any actual ground in genuine racist behaviour.