Today's random stupidity story...

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:05 am

Moron tory minister, what do you expect?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:59 am

Whilst I agree it's hardly random for a politician to not know what they're on about, the joke is on us if we're just to expect and accept it? We've got a government that impose silly illogical rules that they then don't follow themselves, and an opposition that claim the PM isn't fit to lead but then agree with everything he decides anyway, even when his own party don't. If we stop highlighting the lies and hypocrisy and just accept it as the norm, where do we end up?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:10 am

We end up doing fucking stupid things like leaving the EU obviously.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:02 am

The fucking stupid thing was joining in the first place without getting public consent. Actually a pretty good example of the mess that can be created when both major parties collude to take democracy off the table.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:12 am

:lol:

You crack me up.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:54 am

Truth can be funny sometimes...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:14 am

Yah. That'd be it.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:58 pm

:shrug: Regardless of what you think the outcome should have been, surely we can agree waiting 25 years to ask a question that had always more-or-less split the country down the middle created a polarisation and division that was totally unnecessary. Had Major or Blair had any scruples, they'd have been the ones to hold a referendum, and given our membership some legitamacy. It could have gone either way, but at least pro-EU supporters wouldn't feel aggrieved about losing something they'd taken for granted, and Eurosceptics couldn't feel aggrieved about being pulled into something against their will.

And now we're seeing something similar - maybe you trust the government of the day to always make the best decisions for the public, but I don't.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:10 pm

No, of course we don't agree on that... but that's hardly surprising :lol:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:37 pm

Why, do you have a problem with allowing people to vote? Or just votes that don't go the way you want them? I know you don't like how the actual referendum turned out, so I assume you're not trying to argue the timing was perfect.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:49 pm

Yes, I have several problems with the idea of taking such things to nuance free votes - on multiple levels. But that's where we are in the world at the moment. Base human responses whipped up by the privileged, hidden behind pretences of democracy and claims of the voice of the people, and virulently defended with almost religious fervour by some. It makes me laugh my tits off at the vast pools of stupidity that people continue to be able to mobilise. I'm literally in awe at that capacity.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Sounds a good argument, until you remember it was "the privileged" who decided we were going to join the EU in the first place, and held off going to the public for so long. Whilst democracy isn't perfect, it does allow you your own little corner of stupidity, if you want it. Losing that would make the world a far worse place. Which pretty much was my point at the start.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:40 pm

As a once prolific poster on this forum might say, cultists gonna cult.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:41 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:59 am
Whilst I agree it's hardly random for a politician to not know what they're on about, the joke is on us if we're just to expect and accept it? We've got a government that impose silly illogical rules that they then don't follow themselves, and an opposition that claim the PM isn't fit to lead but then agree with everything he decides anyway, even when his own party don't. If we stop highlighting the lies and hypocrisy and just accept it as the norm, where do we end up?
The joke isn't on me, I didn't vote Tory. Not a lot else I can do though given the number of people that seem to think they're the right thing for the country and our broken election system.

Revolution? I'm down.

As for "the opposition", it isn't their job to immediately oppose the government on principle. If you notice, they aren't agreeing on everything, they would go far further if they were in government. So really not the same thing. I don't particularly agree with their viewpoint either.

The biggest problem in UK politics is the stupid notion of opposition in the first place, as if every subject only has two arguments and all must be aligned on one side or the other. Completely antiquated.
Last edited by mrblackbat on Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:42 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:02 am
The fucking stupid thing was joining in the first place without getting public consent. Actually a pretty good example of the mess that can be created when both major parties collude to take democracy off the table.
You mean getting public consent like in the 1975 referendum? The really crazy thing is why we waited so long to confirm membership of the EU (logical continuation of the EC) given there was public approval by 67% for being part of a European project....