Today's random stupidity story...

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:45 pm

And my new work laptop is delayed thanks to Brexit customs changes. Have to remember we have sovereignty though.... :dunce:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:28 am

Don't be silly, it's just teething problems. All the amazing benefits are just around that next corner you can see in the distance if you squint really hard.

No, not that one, a bit further on. Maybe the one after that. Ahh, brexit fanatics crack me up :lol:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:25 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:28 am
Don't be silly, it's just teething problems. All the amazing benefits are just around that next corner you can see in the distance if you squint really hard.

No, not that one, a bit further on. Maybe the one after that. Ahh, brexit fanatics crack me up :lol:
Fanatics is the word alright. It's also added about 20k cost onto our extension too.

All so we can import chlorine washed chickens, right?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:13 am

Direct from your Tory importer, only 22% more expensive than it used to be. Cos freedom!

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:41 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:25 am

Fanatics is the word alright. It's also added about 20k cost onto our extension too.
I feel your pain, I think it’s added a similar figure to our renovation. 😬

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:44 am

It's a price worth paying for sovereignty though, Gibbon.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:48 am

Is your extension it's own sovereign nation? Cos I'll have a passport if so.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:15 pm

At least we have crown stamps on pint glasses though...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:22 pm

As long as they are black stamps and not red.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:41 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:48 am
Is your extension it's own sovereign nation? Cos I'll have a passport if so.
We could declare independence I suppose

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:13 am

Given that nobody asked your consent for it to be part of the UK that seems like the totally obvious and justifiable route. How many chickens can you fit in there?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:08 am

You could have blue and white half passports. 🤔

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am

Gibbon wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:08 am
You could have blue and white half passports. 🤔
Better get public consent for that first mind :D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:29 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:25 am
Ethiaa wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:28 am

All so we can import chlorine washed chickens, right?
What's the justification for the extra costs? And the delay on delivery?

Given I work for an importer that supplies the building trade, I know for a fact that the removal of EU protectionist tariffs has reduced the cost of many of our lines. There are other inflationary pressures that would cause materials to go up of course, pandemic-related issues obviously plus rising fuel and energy costs. But they would apply even if we were still in the EU. Out of interest, how much have they added to your extension costs as well as those from Brexit?

As for imports/exports, we don't have any issues getting stuff in and out of the country. I mean, it's not like trade with the rest of the world is a new concept. So maybe there's some new forms, that's not exclusive to this situation. Am I the only one who had to deal with the bullshit that is GDPR? :yeahright:

The real fanatics are those who are desperately convincing themselves that there are only pros to being in the EU, and cons to being out. If it were true, Cameron and co would have had an easy time making the argument prior to the referendum. Yet even now, I'm still unclear as to why anyone wants more corrupt bureaucrats with an unhealthy amount of influence over their lives. It's bad enough with Boris. :shrug:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:29 pm

Supply chain costs, not just in the goods themselves but in the time of processing and additional overhead in prep of those goods. Obviously not everyone imports stuff from China! ;) which has caused increase demand and reduced supply, with some suppliers stopping supplying the UK apparently.

Or possibly its just companies not passing on savings, and profiteering. Who knows. Energy? Nah not really, these were going up well before the energy issues starting being applied.

And funnily enough, it's not screws that are the expensive materials for an extension.... but timber, composite and so on that comes from the EU.

On the import/export, I never needed to have an EOIR number to receive equipment from the EU. And I didn't have issue getting my regular subscription beer box from Denmark which is now permanently off the cards for delivery here. And the overhead of dealing with the clearance details for getting that laptop through customs wouldn't previously have taken days due to the increased amount of goods to be inspected through customs, which is the reason I've been given for delay.

So, it would appear that you're talking bullshit about us not having problems getting goods into the country, at least based on the evidence I've seen....

As for Boris being corrupt and incompetent, take it you voted Labour and for Corbyn last time around then, eh? :yeahright: