Today's random stupidity story...

There must be more to life than football?
Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Today's random stupidity story...

Post by Gibbon » Mon May 06, 2019 3:01 pm

Fair enough on the living in London thing, For some reason I thought she was living in the US after that whole Not paying tax fiasco a few years ago.

On the return flight thing, I’d not realised that either.

I’m not making excuses for her hypocrisy, but I still think there’s political value in her support for their cause that outweighs the damage.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon May 06, 2019 4:12 pm

I don't really think they need an elite spokesperson. They had more than enough publicity, and were certainly visible to those that really can make a difference. I genuinely think they would have been better asking her not to attend, or, to demonstrate just how easy it is to attend remotely.

Apparently, she was also spotted eating carpaccio (cause we need to stop eating red meat) and drinking champagne whilst travelling back too. Obviously, nobody would really bat an eyelid about that for a first class passenger, but once you've set yourself up to be a target...

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue May 07, 2019 9:29 am

Heh, is this still going on?

If you want people to change their behaviour, you change your own first. As soon as you start making exceptions why the rules don't apply to you, your cause becomes meaningless, because everyone else can find a reason why the rules shouldn't apply to them too. In the same way Emma Thompson "needs" to fly because she's a high profile actress filming around the world, others "need" to fly for their business, or to see family, or a much earned holiday. We can all convince ourselves that a choice we make about our lifestyle is essential for us, but others can manage without it.

I put it here rather than in the climate change thread because I'm not criticising the point of view, just the absolute stupidity of doing a prime example of what you're protesting against, and saying it doesn't matter for you. I had been under the impression that Emma Thompson was more intelligent than that. :D

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue May 07, 2019 9:40 am

But isn’t it about using airlines less (which she says she does) while pressuring legislators and industries to push for greener solutions?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue May 07, 2019 10:52 am

"Less" is relative. Emma Thompson doesn't need to fly at all. She doesn't need to take up film roles that involve travelling the world, her work is for her self-interest, we don't need her to continue acting to keep the world turning. However much she cares about environmental issues, she's putting her career and earnings first. Legislators and industry will take exactly the same approach, they'll do what they can, but not to the point where it's going to cost business or jobs or votes. And no one is going to take calls to remove that compromise seriously when they come from someone who wants to keep a compromise for themselves.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 10, 2019 1:36 pm

I see the BBC are now sacking presenters for not being racist enough to realise a joke they made could be interpreted another way... :yeahright:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri May 10, 2019 2:03 pm

It’s just bizarre.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri May 10, 2019 2:17 pm

I was dumbfounded when I heard them say that comedian and broadcaster Danny Baker had been sacked for that tweet.

Comedian? In what world?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:17 pm
I was dumbfounded when I heard them say that comedian and broadcaster Danny Baker had been sacked for that tweet.

Comedian? In what world?
:lol:

Evidently one where you don't automatically think "black person" when you see a chimpanzee...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri May 10, 2019 3:08 pm

It is a sad fact in this world that a lack of intent does not mean a lack of harm.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 10, 2019 4:08 pm

And it's a sad fact in this world that people look for harm before intent.

Anyway, off to complain to my daughter's nursery that their simian-based name is apparently offensive to her... :yeahright:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri May 10, 2019 6:45 pm

I can't say I saw it... Because I don't honestly care to follow Danny Baker and he doesn't appear to permeate my carefully constructed echo chamber....

But are we so sure he didn't actually mean the bad thing? I'm struggling to see any comedy or point to.. "baby is chimp" beyond the obvious racial slur... you wonder how it came to pass... Did he think 'i know, I'll make a royal baby joke' and then start typing what into Google image search to find himself where he ended up....

Even giving him the benefit of the doubt his apology was lacking... Yes he took it straight down but the whole "my turn in the barrel" nonsense was pretty classic 'sorry-not-sorry'.

Maybe it's harsh not taking his word for it... He doesn't have previous that I'm aware of, still its pretty well known by public figures these days that they have to walk a tighter line than the rest of us... Particularly those who receive a publicly funded pay packet

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Sat May 11, 2019 8:38 am

Well, my immediate reaction to the news headline was "have we really got to the point where we can't say the royal family are like zoo animals entertaining us with their tea parties" because, you know, I don't give a shit about anyone's ethnic background and didn't make the connection. When that's how I think, I can easily believe other non-racists think the same. And I think it would be very strange for somebody to suddenly make a deliberate racist slur after decades of successfully hiding such feelings, then immediately back down and remove the offending post when it was pointed out how it could be taken. You can only make that sort of post if you're a firebrand racist who would stand by it no matter what the fallout, or if you're not racist and simply don't see it from that angle.

It seems to me the people who see a chimp and can't think of anything other than a black person are thr people with the real problem. But there we go.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sat May 11, 2019 11:06 am

Perhaps you're right. . After all I'm largely ignorant of baker... There have been a fair few royal babies recently so perhaps I missed the first few installments of the hilarious 'babies as monkeys' series... Or maybe there was something different this time that triggered it...

Ultimately only he knows and he says he didn't mean it, so we have to take his word for it... Just like we take his word that 5 live presenter and author of 'footballs unfinniest stocking fillers' doesn't remember people of colour get called monkeys'.

But the argument that the 'real racists are people who notice racism' is just hogwash... Especially combined with ignorance as defence from obviously intelligent people.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon May 13, 2019 10:45 am

theadore wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:06 am
Perhaps you're right. . After all I'm largely ignorant of baker... There have been a fair few royal babies recently so perhaps I missed the first few installments of the hilarious 'babies as monkeys' series... Or maybe there was something different this time that triggered it...

Ultimately only he knows and he says he didn't mean it, so we have to take his word for it... Just like we take his word that 5 live presenter and author of 'footballs unfinniest stocking fillers' doesn't remember people of colour get called monkeys'.

But the argument that the 'real racists are people who notice racism' is just hogwash... Especially combined with ignorance as defence from obviously intelligent people.
No, I was saying the people with the problem are the ones who automatically see racist conotations in an ambiguous image and shout racist at the person who showed them the picture, claiming the only way it could be viewed is the way they have. That's not "noticing racism". You're missing the point that you have to be conciously aware of someone's ethnicity to be racist about it. It hadn't even crossed my mind that this baby was mixed race. Why would it, it's not relevant to anything? Unless you're racist of course. So I think it's credible that it never crossed Baker's mind either. As you've alluded to, there would be no issue with portraying other members of the royal family as monkeys or chimps. There's nothing about the picture that suggests the chimp is meant to be a mixed race child. It's not something I'd expect to be at the forefront of anyone's mind.

But maybe you're right and Danny Baker suddenly decided he didn't want to work for the BBC anymore, and rather than simply resign he thought the best way to do it was to make a racist jibe at a baby...

There's no question that the tweet needed removing with an apology. As Eth said, lack of intent doesn't mean lack of harm. And maybe the BBC had no choice but to sack Baker, given criticism of how they've handled other controversies in the past.

However, it's not changing attitudes or making the world a better place to pillory someone for making a mistake by not seeing a racist connection. We should be getting to the point where we're not identifying people by their ethnic background.