Insomnia

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Insomnia

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:12 am

I've had 15 minutes sleep at most last night... :-( Went to bed at 11pm, but spent all night awake listening to the weather and didn't start to feel tired until my heating switched on at 6am... And I finally drifted off a few moments before my alarm woke me back up at 7am... :doh: So I feel knackered and like shit this morning. :cry:

I've never been a big sleeper anyway, but I seem to be going through a pattern where I'll have a sleepless night, feel like I'm trying to catch up on sleep for a few weeks after, then when I'm feeling back to normal, I'll have another sleepless night and start again. Anyone got any advice? Should I go and see my doctor?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:19 am

doctors not a bad idea... although they can just fob you off with pills and send you away. in my experience sleeping pills are a very hard habit to break.

general stuff like no caffine after lunch and exercise (as long as its a few hours before you go to sleep) are always good.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:27 am

Yeah, I want to avoid taking pills. I think I feel worse this morning because I actually did fall asleep for a few minutes. Normally I end up counting down the minutes for the alarm to go off. :roll:

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:28 am

I often have the same problem. I always find it hard to sleep when I know I have to be up at a certain time (weekdays). At the weekends I find it really easy to sleep and that's when I least need it! I went to sleep at 9pm on Friday night just to catch up on all the sleep I'd lost during the week. Personally I wouldn't go to the doctor, if he recommended sleeping pills then certainly don't take them, they're addictive. Your body is well capable of dealing with it's own problems without having to rely on a drug.

Theo is right, probably a good idea to cut out any caffeine or sugar before bedtime. As for exercise, a good session of intercourse is a good option. ;)

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:32 am

i don't know about sleeping pilss being addictive... although i've never taken anything particularly hardcore. the problem is that you egt into a mindset that if you've not fallen asleep within 3 minutes that you have to take something otherwise it won't happen.

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:35 am

I heard once that some foods such as Turkey and Lettuce contain something that causes you to be drowsy.

I've just googled to back up this wild claim : here.

Have you also tried camomile tea? My girlfriend drinks this if she's not feeling like she'll sleep.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re:

Post by theadore » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:37 am

iamarover wrote:Have you also tried camomile tea? My girlfriend drinks this if she's not feeling like she'll sleep.
I drink it if i fancy a very graphic and convincing performance of being violently ill. :-D

Willy
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Willy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:37 am

theadore wrote:i don't know about sleeping pilss being addictive... although i've never taken anything particularly hardcore. the problem is that you egt into a mindset that if you've not fallen asleep within 3 minutes that you have to take something otherwise it won't happen.
I've never taken them myself but from what I hear they're pretty more-ish. You get used to relying on them to get your hours in. There's nothing worse than having an hour's sleep or less. If it gets to 6am before I am asleep I usually just stay up coz I always feel worse if I have the small amount of sleep.

Willy
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Willy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:39 am

iamarover wrote:I heard once that some foods such as Turkey and Lettuce contain something that causes you to be drowsy.

I've just googled to back up this wild claim : here.

Have you also tried camomile tea? My girlfriend drinks this if she's not feeling like she'll sleep.
Turkey does, yes. It's some kind of weird natural drug that causes drowsiness. That's why people for the most part feel sleepy after xmas dinner. Personally, I don't eat Turkey...disgusting and dirty creature. :vomit:

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by Dr Rover » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:09 am

theadore wrote:doctors not a bad idea... although they can just fob you off with pills and send you away. in my experience sleeping pills are a very hard habit to break.

general stuff like no caffine after lunch and exercise (as long as its a few hours before you go to sleep) are always good.
Aye, thats probably the best advice. Like Theo, i would say sleeping pills should be a last resort. i've had bad experiences with them.

What worked for me was to eat a little earlier - say around or before 6pm, and then do a little bit of exercise after. even just a short walk. Calomine tea is another excellent way of relaxing before bed and can really settle you down

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:12 am

calomine or camolile?

Isn't calomine the thick liquid you put on skin irritations? :scratch:

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by Dr Rover » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:25 am

iamarover wrote:calomine or camolile?

Isn't calomine the thick liquid you put on skin irritations? :scratch:
hahaha - sorry, you are of course very correct. A slip of the tounge in a busy day at work

Appologies

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:46 am

But does the calamine tea help you sleep? :scratch:

Gouldy
Valued squad member

Post by Gouldy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:48 am

I dont have insomnia, i just have a really bad sleep pattern. I dont get tired till about 6am. The earliest i can ever get to sleep is around 3-3:30, so makes it very tricky for 9am lectures.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:50 am

I've just woken up :-)