Job dillema

There must be more to life than football?
DunnFC
Regular international
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:29 am

Job dillema

Post by DunnFC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:49 pm

DILLEMA ALERT!

I'm still at 6frm but i also do part time work at my local jjb but I'm sick of it and i want out the wage is £3.79 and my manager is an ass, next have offered me a job 80p - £1 an hour pay rise and more hours if i want. Only problem is, is that id be contracted to work saturdays and only be allowed 4 saturdays off a year which sucks because I'm a season ticket holder here. I hate working at jjb were my boss is lemsip, wages are never paid on time, uniform is scruffy and really really long hours but the rota is flexible. Ive also applied at some full time jobs to be an a tranie accounant.

I need the money from my job as I'm saving to go to America with some of my mates next year and be out there for a month or so.

What the hell should i do, thanks in advance.

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro
Posts: 5317
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Location: Exeter

Re: Job dillema

Post by iamarover » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:51 pm

DunnFC wrote:Ive also applied at some full time jobs to be an a tranie accounant.
:whistle: :-D :-D

If you hate your current job, and Next doesn't seem right either, how about you apply for another one altogether? Supermarket work etc?

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9810
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Post by theadore » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:52 pm

how many saturday home games are we likely to have eft between now and end of the season taking into account notice period? probably not that many.

take the money iff you need is and book your 4 days off before you start for saturdays you know will not be moved.

DunnFC
Regular international
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:29 am

Re:

Post by DunnFC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:55 pm

theadore wrote:how many saturday home games are we likely to have eft between now and end of the season taking into account notice period? probably not that many.

take the money iff you need is and book your 4 days off before you start for saturdays you know will not be moved.
That makes sense, we got 7 games left at home so il probably give my wee brother my st for 3 crap games like fulham.

I dont have to give any notice at JJB as my existing ontract ran out and they want me to sign a new one next time i go in to work but they dont know that ive been offered a new job.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 18353
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re:

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:04 pm

DunnFC wrote:
theadore wrote:how many saturday home games are we likely to have eft between now and end of the season taking into account notice period? probably not that many.

take the money iff you need is and book your 4 days off before you start for saturdays you know will not be moved.
That makes sense, we got 7 games left at home so il probably give my wee brother my st for 3 crap games like fulham.

I dont have to give any notice at JJB as my existing ontract ran out and they want me to sign a new one next time i go in to work but they dont know that ive been offered a new job.
Will you get a clothing allowance at next? or will they expect you to buy work clothes out of your wages? That can be a bit of a bitch if you're trying to save money... :scratch:

DunnFC
Regular international
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:29 am

Post by DunnFC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:06 pm

I currently get 20% of at jjb and id get a vary of different offers of clothes at Next.

I guess my Tarzan look is out the window.

Simon
Ageing international
Posts: 3826
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:53 pm

Re: Job dillema

Post by Simon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:49 am

I worked at Sainsburys for 2 years and never missed a rovers game.

User avatar
Dr Rover
Valued squad member
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:57 pm
Location: One Step Beyond

Re: Job dillema

Post by Dr Rover » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:17 am

Simon wrote:I worked at Sainsburys for 2 years and never missed a rovers game.
Well done lad, but i cant see how it helps out DunnFC's problem :-?

Simon
Ageing international
Posts: 3826
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:53 pm

Re: Job dillema

Post by Simon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:49 am

Dr Rover wrote:
Simon wrote:I worked at Sainsburys for 2 years and never missed a rovers game.
Well done lad, but i cant see how it helps out DunnFC's problem :-?
Dunno. Just saying there are part time jobs that allow you to not to swap shifts with ease.

User avatar
RoryoftheRovers
Regular international
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Job dillema

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:59 pm

DunnFC wrote:DILLEMA ALERT!

I'm still at 6frm but i also do part time work at my local jjb but I'm sick of it and i want out the wage is £3.79 and my manager is an ass, next have offered me a job 80p - £1 an hour pay rise and more hours if i want. Only problem is, is that id be contracted to work saturdays and only be allowed 4 saturdays off a year which sucks because I'm a season ticket holder here. I hate working at jjb were my boss is lemsip, wages are never paid on time, uniform is scruffy and really really long hours but the rota is flexible. Ive also applied at some full time jobs to be an a tranie accounant.

I need the money from my job as I'm saving to go to America with some of my mates next year and be out there for a month or so.

What the hell should i do, thanks in advance.
Isn't that below the minimum wage?! I think your better off working for an arcadia group chain, such as Burton or Topman they pay competitive wages and you have active involvement in increasing your pay.

User avatar
Gouldy
Valued squad member
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:04 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Job dillema

Post by Gouldy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:05 pm

RoryoftheRovers wrote: Isn't that below the minimum wage?! I think your better off working for an arcadia group chain, such as Burton or Topman they pay competitive wages and you have active involvement in increasing your pay.
Minimum wage only comes into effect at 21. When i was working at Spar last year i only got £4.50 an hour, and £5.45 on sundays

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27875
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Job dillema

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:06 pm

RoryoftheRovers wrote:
DunnFC wrote:£3.79
Isn't that below the minimum wage?!
Under-18s who are not in compulsory education = £3.40.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27875
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Job dillema

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:09 pm

Gouldy wrote:
RoryoftheRovers wrote: Isn't that below the minimum wage?! I think your better off working for an arcadia group chain, such as Burton or Topman they pay competitive wages and you have active involvement in increasing your pay.
Minimum wage only comes into effect at 21. When i was working at Spar last year i only got £4.50 an hour, and £5.45 on sundays
:-? Nope. There's three rates:

22 and over: £5.52
18-21 year olds: £4.60
And under 18 who are not of compulsory school age: £3.40.

User avatar
Gouldy
Valued squad member
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:04 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Job dillema

Post by Gouldy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:14 pm

I see, what i meant to say was you only get the top rate of minimum wage when your over 21. Bit stupid that, seeing as 18years old can buy their own house if they want, yet cant get a decent wage

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27875
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Job dillema

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:31 pm

Gouldy wrote:I see, what i meant to say was you only get the top rate of minimum wage when your over 21. Bit stupid that, seeing as 18years old can buy their own house if they want, yet cant get a decent wage
I'd say it's stupid when the government also bring in laws stopping employers discriminating against employees because of age. However, a worker can still earn £5.52 per hour if they're under 22. What it means is that a worker over 22 may be paid more than their true worth because of legislation.

I can't take anyone seriously if they think an 18 year old earning £4.60 per hour to do a bit of part time work is having a hard time of it. New Labour have turned us into a nation of ungrateful scroungers over the past decade.

Post Reply