The US sports thread

There must be more to life than football?
theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: The US sports thread

Post by theadore » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:22 am

Jim wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:41 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:00 am
Bet the Saints are a bit pissed off....

Patriots in the Superb Owl again. :boring:
Both games were incredible tbh, though the Saints have a genuine gripe with that call. It could have been pass interference, defenceless receiver, targeting and they call nothing. Unbelievable bottle job by the officials.

Obviously pleased the Pats won, they did a miraculous job on defence in the first half of the game, keeping KC completely bottled up. Just about held on at the end and the OT drive was just vintage Brady. Clinical. No doubt Mahomes will get his ring one day, he’s too good not to. But when that fat contract comes his way, KC are gonna have to suffer elsewhere. Same as the Rams with Goff. The rookie window is everything.

Also interesting that there is another scandal brewing, this time LaserGate, as a Kansas City fan was found shining a laser pen in Brady’s eyes on several occasions before the snap. NFL are investigating. If that was Foxborough and in Mahomes eyes, it would be a massive thing already.
Obviously... because everyone knows Patriots are massive cheats... :)

Interesting about the rookie window... have thought so for a while, that the massive contracts the likes of Rodgers, Wilson et Al sign hurt the teams.... it's been floated (by Nick Harris I think) that the Patriots have the least spread wages in the sport which makes me wonder a) whether this is related to their continual success and b) whether Brady has accepted less than his Market worth in the interests of history making

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 am

Danny Amendola had an interesting interview along those lines after he left this year, basically saying the Patriots is not a place to make big money as a player but to win stuff then move on. I think it's am interesting stance: you only really need one (or two) super stars, then the rest can be good journeymen that fit the team.

Probably why I always think the Patriots are boring to watch, there's not a whole lot of individual flair, just a team that performs very well, often doing the minimum needed to win the game. Can't knock them that, but it's dull.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:40 pm

Patriots win the superb owl again.... :boring:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:13 pm

Pretty much... Yay Edelman the drugs cheat... etc.

Pretty dull superbowl really... defence was impressive on both sides but ultimately Rams just weren't at the races... and whatever happened to Gurley pretty much sealed the deal before the playoffs.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:26 pm

theadore wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:13 pm
Pretty much... Yay Edelman the drugs cheat... etc.

Pretty dull superbowl really... defence was impressive on both sides but ultimately Rams just weren't at the races... and whatever happened to Gurley pretty much sealed the deal before the playoffs.
Edelman looked absolutely wired as well.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Edelman took his punishment for the drugs offence, though he’s not the only one in the league whose been caught out by it. He was coming off a complete ACL tear though so he was always up against it. Can’t defend him for taking a shortcut but as said, he served his punishment.

That said, he’s been doing what he did in the Super Bowl for years. He’s so difficult to cover and is as slippery as an eel. He’s probably going to make the hall of fame one day.

I think saying Gurley being injured cost the Rams is a bit insulting to both the Rams offense and the Patriots defense. When Gurley was on the field he was still kept in pretty good check. It was a very tight, defensive game. Both offenses struggled. The Rams were the 11th best offense of all time and our underestimated defense held them to just 3pts. It was a David vs Goliath type performance.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:13 pm

I thought this was an interesting piece on Edelman, the NFL and American sports approach to winning at any cost.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Jim wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:10 pm
Edelman took his punishment for the drugs offence, though he’s not the only one in the league whose been caught out by it. He was coming off a complete ACL tear though so he was always up against it. Can’t defend him for taking a shortcut but as said, he served his punishment.

That said, he’s been doing what he did in the Super Bowl for years. He’s so difficult to cover and is as slippery as an eel. He’s probably going to make the hall of fame one day.

I think saying Gurley being injured cost the Rams is a bit insulting to both the Rams offense and the Patriots defense. When Gurley was on the field he was still kept in pretty good check. It was a very tight, defensive game. Both offenses struggled. The Rams were the 11th best offense of all time and our underestimated defense held them to just 3pts. It was a David vs Goliath type performance.
There should only be one punishment for drugs cheats in any sport: lifetime ban.

Suggest the Rams were David is just insulting, Jim..... oh, wait, you mean the Patriots.... :yeahright:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:13 pm
I thought this was an interesting piece on Edelman, the NFL and American sports approach to winning at any cost.
Yep, sums up the most of it.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:28 am

Jim wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Was more meaning the NFLs general "drugs are fine" than Edelman himself... When you compare the MVP bru-ha-ha to the treatment that soneone like Justin Gatlin received in athletics is difficult not to draw the conclusion that football doesn't care.

Gurley has been a different player for weeks... The guy that was running and receiving three figures every game at the start of the season wouldn't have been so stoppable.

Still... No doubt pats deserved the win... 2 good defensive displays but they monstered the rams in the first half.

Can't help but think about the 50 all thriller the saints and chiefs would have served up though.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue May 07, 2019 9:55 am

It's that time again. NFL league is up and running - we just need to fix a draft date. Any preferences? I'll just pick a random day if not.

http://roverstalk.league.fantasy.nfl.com

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue May 07, 2019 2:06 pm

A Wednesday evening might work, the other half is usually out with the dog at agility. So long as the little in doesn't wake up....

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue May 07, 2019 5:08 pm

I usually have a half hour of free time between the two kids bed times... When I'm cooking... :doh:

I'm easy though.. just pick something and I'll make it work.

Annual shout out to the wider community... It's fun, takes almost no time (compared to fpl) and prior knowledge of NFL if probably a hindrance if anything... You know it makes sense.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 am

I’m in, just let me know when you arrange a draft date! 💪🏻