Boilers and insurance

Life's a bitch. Post your moans, groans and general annoyances here.
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Boilers and insurance

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:37 am

So after a very warm week in Morrocco, the return weather has been lovely and wintery! Obviously, just when we need it most, the boiler has bust. Which is crappy, but hey: my home insurance has emergency boiler cover! Hurrah!

Of course though, they try and weasel out of it as best they can; one of the questions is "does it start back up". The answer is yes, but then the pressure rises to dangerous levels and it shuts off throwing an error code. Their response: "in that case you aren't covered because it isn't completely broken."

:|

Obviously after some wrangling we get them to get someone out; in the meantime having spoken to our usual plumber who's pretty sure its a broken pump and managed to source one. So their guy comes out, advises yes its the pump and that repair isn't covered and it'll be Tuesday before they can get one in ajy case....

So, great emergency cover, huh?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: Boilers and insurance

Post by theadore » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:03 am

Sounds weirdly familiar... Ours want covered because "wear and tear"... Which was the chap servicing it broke it trying to put it back together.

Still. Last week we noticed there was rain in the dining room.. I called the insurance while I was waiting for a plumber mate to call me back, mostly to talk about the water damage... Turns out I had £1000 with of emergency cover and they had someone or and fixed within a few hours.

Anyway... Owning houses sucks

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Except for when it doesn't of course!

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Of course... But those times don't spring to mind when life appears to be kicking you from all angles...

Anyway... Off out to push the car a few streets further away so that aa will come and pick it up.... :(

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Yeah that sucks. Well boiler is back working. Pump replaced. Apparently the part in question was reserved for an insurance company too.....

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:01 pm

That all sucks. I ended up replacing my boiler a few weeks ago, a 15 year old thing I inherited when I moved into the house that I'd been nursing through the last few years, and not minding the fact that some (most) times no hot water appeared from the tap first time, or that some mornings the heating just wouldn't kick in until I'd been out to the garage to reset the bastard. On top of that it couldn't handle anything more than 0.3bar pressure in the heating, and a few plumbers agreed over the last couple of years that it was probably fixable but not worth it in the slightest (I had no cover on it).

Anyway... if you ever need a new boiler, boxt.co.uk are quite good. I had a few local plumbers price me up and recommend a few models, Boxt provided the same, undercut the price significantly, and offer next day installation. Couldn't fault them at all, and now I've got a shiny new thing with a 10 year warranty.