Ewood Park tour.

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Ewood Park tour.

Post by WacoRover » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:53 pm

We left Blackburn about 30 minutes ago. I must say, we were treated royally (many thanks to duggywerefab for the red carpet!) Jenny was amazingly patient and kind to we Texans, and we got to see the whole layout- pitch, dressing rooms, trophies, managers lounge, VIP area, etc, but the biggest surprise, we got to see the original Boardroom!

All the staff of Blackburn Rovers were exceedingly kind, and helpful. First class all the way!

Jenny, and everybody involved with Blackburn Rovers today made me an even bigger fan than before.

Again, many thanks to duggywerefab for arranging this. I hope to repay your kindness with Texas barbecue & Shiner someday!

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Re: Ewood Park tour.

Post by Duggywerefab » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Waco and Mrs Waco,

So glad it all worked out for you two, It's quite a nice little (by TX standards) stadium isn't it? As you could tell we are very proud of our little club, even with all the recent downs and ups and I am sure the staff were very impressed that two Texans took the time and expense to visit. We don't get much respect from the London-dominated media and footy circus so I am sure you made the day for all those Rover's employees who are very proud of the club, it's history and it's community.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to journey up into deepest Lancs and for your passion for t'Rovers!

Safe travels and Up the Rovers!

Duggywerefab

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:24 pm

Nice one Duggy, and glad to read you had a good time Waco!

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:03 pm

That sounds like you had a blast! Can't wait until I get some vacation time to fly over and visit some time!

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:03 pm
That sounds like you had a blast! Can't wait until I get some vacation time to fly over and visit some time!
Interesting logistics getting to Blackburn. We were in Liverpool hence, by American standards, only about 45 minutes away by freeway. Alas, no freeway :lol: therefore, you have to take the train thru Wigan, to Preston, where you exit the Liverpool train, boarding the train to Blackburn. Only about a 20 minute ride from Preston.

Once you arrive in Blackburn, there is a pretty little town to explore. We had little time for that, as we had to catch the bus for Ewood, I guess, about 3 miles away, nestled in an older, but very neat, housing area. Definitely, Blackburn Rovers F.C. has a homey, neighborly, feel to it... where they have played since Texas was barely out of federal Reconstruction.

We stood on the spot where the players go onto the pitch, in the tunnel, in front of the players bench, dressing room, etc. I don’t mind saying I experienced quite a few “ghosts” just being there, and subsequent goosebumps... the place where all the greats in Rovers history (and other English greats), have stood.

Jennifer had her favorites- including Brad Freidel. She has a worked there the past 20+ years, I loved hearing her stories.

The pitch was beautifully groomed & cared for. I learned the Rovers’ head groundskeeper is actually a fan of The Wednesday!

Amazing trip... I don’t know if I will ever make it back (57, but in very good shape physically), but I will always cherish my trip there.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:59 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Interesting logistics getting to Blackburn. We were in Liverpool hence, by American standards, only about 45 minutes away by freeway. Alas, no freeway :lol: therefore, you have to take the train thru Wigan, to Preston, where you exit the Liverpool train, boarding the train to Blackburn. Only about a 20 minute ride from Preston.

Once you arrive in Blackburn, there is a pretty little town to explore. We had little time for that, as we had to catch the bus for Ewood, I guess, about 3 miles away, nestled in an older, but very neat, housing area. Definitely, Blackburn Rovers F.C. has a homey, neighborly, feel to it... where they have played since Texas was barely out of federal Reconstruction.
Having spent most of my life in Lancashire, this sounds like such an alien description.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:39 am

No freeway? What's wrong with the M6 and M65?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:13 am

They're motorways, Eth, so intrinsically better. Plus, I was under the impression that "freeways" were ironically named....

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:48 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:39 am
No freeway? What's wrong with the M6 and M65?
M58 first too. Or M62 I guess. Motorway all the way...

I'm wondering when Blackburn was last described as a "pretty little town". "War torn Beiruit" seems more apt.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:47 pm

Getting off on a train platform, the area closest by was very neat & tidy. As I said, no time to explore the rest of the place (sounds like I didn’t miss much! :lol: )

Btw, freeways often aren’t free. Another: Why do we park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?!

Blackburn, compared to Carrollton, Texas, where I grew up, Blackburn definitely comes off better in that comparison.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:02 pm

A driveway is a private road to your house, you'd park on it if you didn't have a garage (or space in one) at the end of it, but that is not essentially its prime purpose. No idea what a parkway is.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:38 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:02 pm
No idea what a parkway is.
Pretty sure it's the train station next to Bolton's stadium :yeahright:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:43 pm

There’s a Princess Parkway in Manchester isn’t there?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:14 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:43 pm
There’s a Princess Parkway in Manchester isn’t there?
The A5103 as locals like to call it. I've parked there many a time.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:17 pm

We have Parks where we walk,run,play have pinics and many other things recreational. Some even legal. One thing we don't do is park in a park. Why do we call them parks.