Blackburn Rovers v Preston North End, Sat 11 Jan 2020, KO 1500

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

When Rovers get knocked down, they ...

Get up again, because they'll never keep us down.
25%
Watch the Kestrels fly from the ground, because if you get up, you may become prey
No votes
Climb up the tree with the gibbon, that's where the naners are
50%
Get yelled at by the arable farmer, whos time is being wasted from not tilling the soil
No votes
Get a helping hand from Igor Tudor in our time of need
No votes
Find a new clay mine for the Nordic Bakeware to pot
No votes
Get marched over by the Romans
25%

Total votes: 4

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Re: Blackburn Rovers v Preston North End, Sat 11 Jan 2020, KO 1500

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:33 pm

I'm just angry about the shithousery that Preston has been pulling lately.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:53 pm

Just nice not to lose to Preston. I heard it said a few seasons back that Preston are the better team simply because they are slightly ahead in their development of their team having been playing championship football when Rovers took a season in league one. If football is about development then Rovers have been on an improvement schedule which is just about on course though could have been better. If we consider the other two clubs that came up from league one namely Rotherham who quickly disappeared back down to do it all again and Wigan who will be more than likely joining them then perhaps Rovers overall are not doing too badly.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:27 pm

Yes, indeed, Darth.

I will be interested to see the highlights of this. Some on the “other” site commented on the Big game atmosphere, 20,000 fans, etc. And really, Rovers were in control for most of the game, just like they were at Deepdale until going belly-up.

I still say we’re probably a 15-18 place club, but Tony got us squared away & up to 8th place until Dacky got hurt. It generally takes 3-4 games to recover, so maybe with today’s result, Rovers are back on track to maybe get back to 10th or so.

Let’s see what kind of Rovers, fired-up team shows up at Hillsborough!

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:47 pm

I thought we played relatively well today. Restricted Preston to 1 shot from memory (which they scored from!)

Nyambe, Downing and Armstrong the stand out performances in my opinion. Hope the injury to Nyambe isn’t too bad.

If only Nyambe had a twin brother who could play left back...! Has to be top of the shopping list this January. I’m sorry but Bell is League 1 at best.

El Sphero
Promising youngster

Post by El Sphero » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:05 pm

Nyambe was our best player today, was breezing past players like they weren’t there... this had the added bonus that he didn’t have to pass to Gallagher on the right wing.

Whilst I do feel sorry for him as he is clearly not a winger, his first touch really is poor compared to Graham for example, which is just one of the many reasons he’s not made the grade as a number 9.

Bell is a weird one, he’ll do something really good then something really stupid. An example was that he was the last man in a rare Preston attack and slipped, then used his pace to catch up and make the block. Just needs more consistency at this level.

Armstrong looked pretty good up front, was causing them all sorts of problems in the first half. Just need to have better build up play to get him in behind.

Final point - this is the 2nd time I’ve seen Preston play this season - first was a 1-0 loss to Reading. In both games they spent more time rolling around on the floor trying to con the ref (who was shit) and wind up the players/ fans than actually playing football - which they’re not very good at from what I’ve seen.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:50 pm

Good observations, guys. It is apparent we are a much better team with a healthy Nyambe & Lenihan. I hope we can hang onto Tosin, but probably can’t.

Any more news on Evans?

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:06 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:50 pm
Good observations, guys. It is apparent we are a much better team with a healthy Nyambe & Lenihan. I hope we can hang onto Tosin, but probably can’t.

Any more news on Evans?
Corry Evans has been taken to hospital with Rovers suspecting the midfielder has suffered breaks to his nose and cheekbone. Quoted from the lancashire evening telegraph

stillgrowling
Valued squad member

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:06 am

TM said Evans would be out for 'some time'.
I thought it was a pretty even match, can't understand why a lot of spectators said it was an awful match. End to end it was quite exciting and Rovers played their best football since their winning streak.
The worrying thing for me was that Danny seems a lesser player than in previous seasons - he had a couple of chances that he would have put away last year. At least Gallagher continues to improve although he has some way to go yet.
Strategically centre forward seems to provide the biggest problem - Danny's best days are behind him, Gallagher has some way to go, no one seems to fancy Samuel, and the less said about Brereton the better.
I marginally prefer Bell to Williams, Johnson isn't living up to his earlier promise and Tosin will leave a massive hole if he goes. But as most have pointed out, season on season we are slowly improving.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:42 am

WacoRover wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:36 am
But I am afraid players like Pedersen or Freidel, I don’t see us getting that caliber of player anymore.
MGP and Friedel were interesting ones, I still believe we got very lucky with both of them and they were a product of Greame Souness's "sign them first, scout them later" hit-and-miss transfer policy. Both were relatively unknown, Friedel had spent years struggling to break through at Liverpool behind two other very good goalkeepers, and Rovers were exactly what he needed: a club on the up in desperate need of a goalkeeper. (A similar position to now, although some would argue we had a stronger squad back then and the league wasn't as tight as it is now, we were a more attractive prospect and expected to gain promotion). MGP was lighting up the Norwegian league with a pretty impressive goalscoring record, but there was no guarantee at all that that would translate into success in the much higher level Premier League.

Also, calibre ;)

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:11 am

I'm not sure I agree with Friedel being an unscouted unknown - He'd been to the world cup twice, had several moves to England blocked by work permit rules before going to Liverpool, and had played for Souness before at Galatasaray.

Pedersen did feel like he'd been signed after playing Championship Manager though... :D

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:32 am

Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:42 am
WacoRover wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:36 am
But I am afraid players like Pedersen or Freidel, I don’t see us getting that caliber of player anymore.
MGP and Friedel were interesting ones, I still believe we got very lucky with both of them and they were a product of Greame Souness's "sign them first, scout them later" hit-and-miss transfer policy. Both were relatively unknown, Friedel had spent years struggling to break through at Liverpool behind two other very good goalkeepers, and Rovers were exactly what he needed: a club on the up in desperate need of a goalkeeper. (A similar position to now, although some would argue we had a stronger squad back then and the league wasn't as tight as it is now, we were a more attractive prospect and expected to gain promotion). MGP was lighting up the Norwegian league with a pretty impressive goalscoring record, but there was no guarantee at all that that would translate into success in the much higher level Premier League.

Also, calibre ;)
Good stuff, thanks, Dan.

I typed it the “Brit” way, but my iPhone autocorrected it. Same as it does defense.