Quarantine On the Sickbed Edition: Blackburn Rovers v Middlesbrough, Tue Nov 3 2020, KO 1945

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

I'm sitting on this barstool

Talking like a damn fool
20%
Got the 12 o'clock news blues
No votes
And I've given u0 hope for the afternoon soaps
No votes
And a bottle of cold brew
20%
Is it any wonder I'm not crazy
No votes
Is it any wonder I'm sane at all
No votes
Well I'm so tired of losing
20%
I've got nothing to do and all day to do it
No votes
Well I'd go out cruising. But I've no place to go
20%
And all night to get there
No votes
Is it any wonder I'm not a criminal
No votes
Is it any wonder I'm not in jail
20%

Total votes: 5

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Quarantine On the Sickbed Edition: Blackburn Rovers v Middlesbrough, Tue Nov 3 2020, KO 1945

Post by mcteeth » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:16 pm

Yes I don't think we could have asked for much more on Wednesday, given covid and injured absentees extending to our first team coach and all the analytical team especially against one of the form sides.

Let's just get through QPR and Mowbray is right we'll be a very different proposition after the international break.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Quarantine On the Sickbed Edition: Blackburn Rovers v Middlesbrough, Tue Nov 3 2020, KO 1945

Post by WacoRover » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:19 am

mcteeth wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:16 pm
Yes I don't think we could have asked for much more on Wednesday, given covid and injured absentees extending to our first team coach and all the analytical team especially against one of the form sides.

Let's just get through QPR and Mowbray is right we'll be a very different proposition after the international break.
Mcteeth, I keep telling myself this; but, then I say, “give Tony until Boxing Day, to let his newest players get used to the other players, and the injured need time to work back in”, etc. I guess I keep prolonging it, hoping everything comes together at some point in time.

What will I say after Boxing Day? I do not demand Rovers promote this year; but realistically, we should have an expectation they finish as a playoff contender. I think that’s reasonable. If not this year, when? They cannot finish 17th as they are now, and we fans be content with Mowbray as manager next year.

I expect Rovers to finish higher than 12th. There... that’s very charitable, and extremely doable, with our injured coming back, and if we believe Tony’s acquisitions are worth a durn.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:22 pm

We are where we are and Mowbray isn't immune from some criticism. If we'd have defended with as much commitment and concentration against Watford, Reading and Swansea as we did against Boro I don't think we lose all 3 of those games. A lot of that is on the players but some responsibility has to fall on the management and coaching staff. And things like starting JRC against Reading up against Meite given his form at the time was very naive.

To me it's been evident since the first couple of games that Dolan needs some time in the U23s now as he's been completely lost when coming on as a sub or starting the other night.

Tactically I think Mowbray could have done more at home to Cardiff and Forest as well, moving Armstrong wide much earlier for one.

But a lot of this is about very fine margins, most of which haven't fallen our way and then compounded by covid isolation and injuries. But the best sides in this league do enough to tip those margins their way.

With a fully fit squad will we push those margins our way more than we currently have, yes I'd like to think so.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:14 pm

I particularly agree with your comment, “the best sides in this league...” Rovers appeared to be one of the better sides; all we had to do was hold our own, until Arma came back... then Travis... then get the transfers acclimated, only two of which are currently playing, and one of those shouldn’t be, but for injury (Pears)... then all the others lost to injury or Covid, etc.

I will say, the owners have developed patience in the past 10 years. Otherwise, Mowbray wouldn’t still be here. But, patience comes to an end eventually, then wrath.

I will be surprised if we are 1-1-3 in our next five fixtures, considering who we play, and if we do indeed get some key players back. But if we are only 1-1-3, Tony’s time at Ewood may be running short.