New Manager poll - select your top three choices

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Next Manager

Daniel Farke
22%
Mark Warburton
11%
Dean Syche
No votes
Marco Bielsa
11%
Gareth Ainsworth
22%
Chris Hughton
No votes
Phillip Cocu
No votes
Damien Johnson
22%
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
No votes
Mick McCarthy
11%
Wayne Rooney
No votes
Tony Mowbray
No votes
Carlos Carvalhal
No votes

Total votes: 9

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international

Re: New Manager poll - select your top three choices

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:21 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 am
I think we need to see what the squad looks like come the start of the season. We've lost Rothwell and Lenihan two of our most important players last season one of which was captain. Loanees have gone back to Brighton one of which was our player of the season and it's possible we'll lose Nyambe along with BBD.

But from listening to Broughton there is a transfer budget and you get the sense they have a really good knowledge of the European market so hopeful we'll pick up some good transfers. The combined knowledge of the Scandinavian leagues might also help in terms of players being eligible through the GBE points system.

There has also been an emphasis on the style of football and continued development of young players so Premier League loans likely to be as important as they've been the last few season.

Still think there is a lot to be really optimistic about but it could well be a transitional season.
Spoke with Scott Wharton recently. He was hugely disappointed with how the season tailed off last year. Whilst he acknowledged the players failings, missed chances, conceeding late in games, poor performances at times, he said Mowbray had frustrated the squad from February onwards with selections and style of play. Apparently the squad wanted to attack far more.

Encouraged by the CEO and DoF comments, but hard to imagine too much improvement with limited funds. Unless as mentioned decent Europeans fancy putting themselves in the PL shop window for a year or two.

Wharton also said the club was starting to show signs of neglect behind the scenes. Run on a shoestring.The training ground needed improvements, staff levels at an all time low, people leaving not being replaced, etc.

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:47 am

onlyonejackwalker wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:21 pm

Wharton also said the club was starting to show signs of neglect behind the scenes. Run on a shoestring.The training ground needed improvements, staff levels at an all time low, people leaving not being replaced, etc.
I suppose these comments by Wharton are an interesting perspective on what are the real difficulties felt by football clubs post Covid. I mean, the economics of the situation speak for themselves. The club are over £100m in debt to their owners, who each year are finances a deficit running the football club. Staying compliant withy FFP regulations is becoming ever harder (the sale of the training ground here is evidence of thi) and the lopsided sale of top footballing assets without replacing them). The simple fact of the matter is, at the level of the championship Rovers do not pull enough financial firepower to maintain the standard they are accustomed to. So what do they do? At the moment they are doing all they can. They are using what money they have to maintain and develop the things that can most likely make a difference - Given the choice, would you invest £100k in the Ewood playing surface, or give the training ground a lick of paint? Would you spend £750k on a new player, or utilize the £500k spent on developing a player from the youth setup? These are the very real choices the football club have to make...

From my point of view, I really feel the football club are continually punching above their weight, both on and off the pitch. Rovers had no right to be in a playoff contention last season, given the squad they had and the experience within it. Our position at Christmas was quite frankly miraculous given the player movement in the Summer. Rover have no right to have a Category One Academy, given their financial situation, and the level of support they get. But they are, and they do... And I think that is something worth celebrating. Are we disappointed we didn't get in the playoffs last year... of course, no one would deny that. Was it completely predictable, of course it was. You can't really cheat the stats for a full season.

So what does next season bring... Well, for me, the previous few seasons has been built on stability and evolution, rather than revolution. I would hope we follow this approach. There will almost certainly be a change in playing style, as is the case when any new manager comes in. A full preseason under JDT will help this. I'm sure there will be some changes in the playing personnel too. For me, I think Ben Brereton leaves, and generates some more funds to invest in the club, where ever that is. We'll see some more academy players graduating to the first team, and hopefully the odd senior player come in to to help guide them.

Personally, I would be happy with a mid-table finish, and a playing style we can all get behind. A launchpad for the next season

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:14 am

Not hoping/demanding for a buyout by the national investment fund of ethically unsound country X then, resulting in extra nice blue paint?

You call that supporting your club? :D