Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:14 am

Darth Rover wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:15 pm
would Rhodes score more goals than Graham, Brereton and Samuel over the next two or three seasons. I think he would.
Just as a point of interest, since leaving Rovers Rhodes has scored 28 goals and over the same period of time since joining Rovers Graham has scored 52 goals.

Largely pointless statistic given Graham is now really in the twilight of his career and Rhodes hasn't always been a consistent starter over that period of time. But I don't think he's ever looked like the player he was at Huddersfield and Rovers since going to Middlesbrough which is a shame. Possibly demonstrates why he has moved clubs a few times and hasn't been able to hold down a starting place.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:43 am

If you want to get the best out of a goal poacher like Rhodes, you've got to build your team around him. It's exactly what we did, until Lambert showed up and took that focus away. I don't think Karanka made him the main man when he took him to Middlesbrough, and that's why it didn't work out. And subsequently he's wasted the prime of his career being a bit part player with no one believing enough in him to give him an extended run in their team. It's not really a surprise that he doesn't score as many goals sat on the subs bench for most games. And he doesn't offer much else when he isn't scoring. Which would make it a big leap of faith for anyone to take him on and give him those regular starts that he needs to get back in form. I'm not sure he's the right fit for a Tony Mowbray team.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:59 am

All very true and you're right he now would be quite a gamble given his wages that you take him on and build your attack around him. And also agree that I'm not sure he would necessarily fit in with Mowbray's preferred system.

What I find slightly strange is how Monk deems him surplus to requirements at Sheffield Wednesday. Whatever people think of Monk as a manager he has a freakishly good record with getting strikers playing at their best. Happened with Wilfred Bony at Swansea, Chris Wood at Leeds, Lucas Jukiewicz and Che Adams at Birmingham. Then this season at Sheffield Wednesday Steven Fletcher is having the season of his career prior to injury. He has got Rhodes sat there and a brilliant record of getting strikers going again but seems happy for him to leave, you'd think he was the perfect candidate to do the same again with Fletcher injured.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:21 am

It's true. And currently our team is set up around Dack, which is unfortunate. But I think Graham/Gallagher could be excellent foils for Rhodes, and I'd love to see what Rhodes would make of balls from Downing. :yeahright:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:31 am

I've seen hardly anything of Rhodes play since he left - for all I know he could have fallen into a deep hole now. And he wasn't tall to begin with.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Some players maybe do that, but Rhodes always struck me as a great instinctive talent. I doubt that'll go away.

This against Forrest in December:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:18 pm

Left, head, right?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:07 pm
Some players maybe do that, but Rhodes always struck me as a great instinctive talent. I doubt that'll go away.
Robert Bernard Fowler.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:29 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:18 pm
Left, head, right?
👍

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:37 pm

POSH'S MADDISON ON MOVE?
Could the club mentioned be Rovers?
Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony is a guest on The Transfer Show on Sky Sports News - and he's given us the latest on Marcus Maddison's Posh future:

"Here's where we are with Marcus. We offered him a new contract. He turned it down and made it clear to me he wanted Championship football.

"He's had a great start to the season. I went out early January and did a deal with the Charlton chairman. We agreed terms. I left him with Charlton to speak to them for two weeks. They haven't been able to close the deal. Birmingham then came in and made two bids. The bids were pretty much the same as Charlton's - we just needed to structure the payments. We couldn't wait until the summer or next year so that deal fell apart two days ago.

"Another club midway in the Championship has come in; they're about to sell players and if that happens, a deal could be agreed tomorrow morning. It's down to the player and those clubs.

"He could be sat with us at the end of the window. I doubt he's going to get back in our team again. He wanted a move to the Championship and we've moved on as a club."

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:15 am

Darth Rover wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:37 pm
POSH'S MADDISON ON MOVE?
Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony is a guest on The Transfer Show on Sky Sports News - and he's given us the latest on Marcus Maddison's Posh future:

"Here's where we are with Marcus. We offered him a new contract. He turned it down and made it clear to me he wanted Championship football.

"He's had a great start to the season. I went out early January and did a deal with the Charlton chairman. We agreed terms. I left him with Charlton to speak to them for two weeks. They haven't been able to close the deal. Birmingham then came in and made two bids. The bids were pretty much the same as Charlton's - we just needed to structure the payments. We couldn't wait until the summer or next year so that deal fell apart two days ago.

"Another club midway in the Championship has come in; they're about to sell players and if that happens, a deal could be agreed tomorrow morning. It's down to the player and those clubs.

"He could be sat with us at the end of the window. I doubt he's going to get back in our team again. He wanted a move to the Championship and we've moved on as a club."
I hope it is us but sounding like it’s Hull.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:20 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:37 pm
Gibbon wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:07 pm
Robert Bernard Fowler.
Is that like...?

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:29 pm

thehatts wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:15 am
Darth Rover wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:37 pm
POSH'S MADDISON ON MOVE?

I hope it is us but sounding like it’s Hull.
MAddison definitely not happening this window, according to the LT
Blackburn Rovers are fond admirers of Marcus Maddison - but the club will not be signing the Peterborough United midfielder before the end of the transfer window.
Maddison's contract contains a £2.5 million release clause, which had been met by Charlton Athletic and Birmingham City, but after negotiations with both clubs had reared unsuccessful, MacAnthony revealed that a third Championship club had come into the fray.
The third club, who apparently have to sell before they buy, were suggested to have been Rovers, however that is not the case and the club have not made any contact with Peterborough about Maddison.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:25 pm

Can’t believe Marcus Maddison was a loan deal. Would have been more than handy getting him in. Just hope we get a winger in or at least get a striker in. Winger first and if not possible try everything to gets Rhodes back. Rhodes on the bench and can come on second half and Armstrong can move out to the wing. Just gives us extra cover and options. It’s not like Gallagher and Brereton are smashing them in.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:42 pm

I can't believe Man U are after Joshua king.