How will Rovers finish 2018-2019 season?

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

How will Rovers finish 2018-2019 season?

Post by WacoRover » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:29 pm

January is just a blur now, the month Blackburn Rovers got all 12 points, out scoring the opposition 9-1, Mowbray for President, etc.

Since then, Rovers have 4 points, & have scored 13 goals in 10 games. It’s a mess, & summer break is needed to refit & replenish this squad.

Since I began following Blackburn, we’ve generally finished strong. I believe Rovers are already safe, since two of the three relegation spots are virtually locked by Bolton & Ipswich (oh, if we had only got a point or two vs. Rotherham!)

We have the following 7 matches:
Stoke (14th on table)
Derby (6th)
@Forest (9th)
@QPR (17th)
Bolton (23rd)
@Norwich (#1)
Swans (15th).

Earlier this season, these fixtures got us 11 pts, but we only scored 8 goals. Two clean-sheets (QPR, Bolton). This time around, I do not believe we can count on 11 points. I don’t expect half that, even with four of these games at Ewood. I am hoping for 5 points in these 7. Strangely, this would give us 1 more point than two years ago, when we had hoped 50 would buy us safety. It didn’t. Glad we locked up 43 by the end of January, or we would be saying “hello, League 1” again.

Thoughts, or predictions on the squad, departures & arrivals, TM’s future, etc. Any discussion, whining, boastful predictions, or dire ones, are welcome.

yankfan
Promising youngster

Re: How will Rovers finish 2018-2019 season?

Post by yankfan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:56 am

The run in form since January has bee very poor. At seasons start expectations should have been mid table and staying up. While it appears this objective has been secured, I think the manner in which the season is closing out is not inspiring confidence in the squad for next year. The squad is lacking quality in the middle of the park, both in mid and across the back line. I think we need another proven forward behind Grahm as hes nearing the end of his career. I'd like to see us bring reed on a permanent but dont expect that to happen. Mulgrew is not the answer at CB and LB has been a problem all season. Outside of Dack, Armstrong, Grahm, and Nyambe I think everyone should get competition for their spot. As for TM, I'm not impressed with his consistency or his desire to play Dack up top, or Ben out wide. Hes going to need to show improvement to keep his job after next season.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:33 pm

Yank,
I agree with most of your points. We need more creativity in midfield & at least two more backs. Yes, Graham is getting long in the tooth, and we need to find his eventual replacement.

I agree this season was about staying up, finding some stability in the Championship. Once again, we were 8th & looking at possible playoff run, when weaknesses on the pitch were exploited, and the bad results started pouring in.

I am trying to find reasons for TM to stay- it’s getting harder to find any. But, we’ve seen the pitfalls from canning managers prematurely. Slash & burn is not good management, nor is knee-jerk reactions to a run of bad play on the field.

The owners keep pouring money into Blackburn Rovers, with little to show for it. We can only hope they continue to prop up the white elephant. But if they can spend on Brereton, maybe they can dig a bit deeper for a couple of backs, in the mold of Dann/Duffy?

Going back to these last 7 games, I see Bolton as a win, and Stoke & swans as ties. Maybe we get an unexpected win somewhere. Based on the last two months, I’m not counting on it.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:38 pm

Oh, one prediction: I don’t like it, but I think eventually some team will make an offer for Dack it would be crazy to pass up.

Two more: Evans & Conway are done.

Longshot: Jokanovic will be rumored as next Blackburn manager, ere long.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:35 am

I know it's been a long time since we've seen him, but has everyone forgotten that our no. 9 is Dominic Samuel? Just one of the many, many injuries that TM has had to overcome. I predict that with a more settled side we'll see an improvement between now and the end of the season.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:15 pm

Mowbray's position should be safe whatever happens from now. However, our form over the last couple of months will have lost him the backing of our more fickle fans, and who knows when our owners will next decide to pull the trigger and throw us back into turmoil?

I think we probably have enough points already to keep us safe, but we need to break out of the habit of losing games so that we're not devoid of confidence going into the new season. We were punching above our weight in the early part of this season, we were riding on the momentum of getting promoted. We'll need some serious strengthening over the summer to avoid being among the relegation contenders next year.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:59 pm

This.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:22 pm

I think we'd be safe if we lost all of our remaining games as I can't see Rotherham getting 12 points in 7 games, especially when their fixture is probably trickier than ours. As I think Ipswich and Bolton will remain at the bottom.

But I think we'll get some points against Bolton, QPR and Swansea with possibly a surprise win somewhere else might be nice.

I don't think we need major surgery in the summer, this squad has demonstrated how it was capable of performing at times this season, we've just been inconsistent, defensively very fragile at times not helped by injuries and poor business in January.

We need to move certain players on and look to upgrade, certainly Conway, Smallwood, Evans, Williams and Downing. Clearly need some centre back options, probably another option at left back, a central midfielder if we don't sign Reed and some competition up top. But there is more to come from Brereton and we'll have Samuel back too. We also don't know how good Davenport is in central midfield. I'd expect us to also keep Rodwell and he and Travis could form a pretty good pairing behind our attack.

I think we'll be signing Bauer pretty soon into the window too who could be well paired with Lenihan at the back.
Last edited by mcteeth on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Hell, Mcteeth =- I agree every word of that

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:12 pm

Probably will see Wil Trapp come in the summer

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:11 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:08 pm
Hell, Mcteeth =- I agree every word of that
:king:

Probably right about Trapp too Thor. Bauer and Trapp would be some good early business to get done, although both unproven in the Championship (Bauer did have 19 appearances back in 2015/16 for Charlton). If we want be signing proven quality at full back, central midfield or strikers it's going to cost a decent amount of cash and I guess we don't what the budget will look like for the summer.

I'd like to think there won't be that much genuine fuss over Dack, he's done nothing since January that would attract further interest and all told seems to be happy and settled. Although you'd think that Dack and Lenihan will be the main players at risk of other interest.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:03 pm

Guys, this is why I love this board- common sense & good dialogue rule over knee-jerk & sheer emotionalism.

I had not forgot Samuel, & I’m glad you brought him up. For him to be healthy gives us decent depth.

To get 1-2 decent cherry-picked players, while considering our financial position, is imperative.

I will agree also on Smallwood. I think that’s about it for him.

To be honest, I am more relieved at staying up than excited about next season. Perhaps events over the summer get me fired up.

P.S.: I will be in England, Sept 18-28. I will make it to Ewood at some point during that time...I am excited about that!

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:39 pm

You might get to see Rovers v Burnley!

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:00 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:39 pm
You might get to see Rovers v Burnley!
I would love that-
1) Hopefully, burnley gets relegated;
2) if I don’t have to go to Burnley to do it! :lol:

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:25 pm

burnley not getting relegated...
Cardiff’s next 3 are roadies, before getting Liverpool at home.

It was a nice thought, though...