Blackburn Rovers v Stoke City, Sat 6 April 2019, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What are you Stoked about?

Ice cream on a hot, sunny day
No votes
Igor Tudor busting out the jorts to show off dem legs
17%
Watching the gibbons swing on the monkey bars
17%
Having the sensibility to engage in a dance off
17%
The long nights baking Nordic Bakeware in the Kiln
No votes
Applying to be the next great Falconer with a hover of Kestrels
17%
Watching your plants grow in the arable farmland
33%

Total votes: 6

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Blackburn Rovers v Stoke City, Sat 6 April 2019, KO 15:00

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:19 pm

Playing for position at this point, a win jumps us in front of Stoke. Last time, Rovers made it seem likely they would blow a 3-0 lead when giving up 2 goals in the matter of a minute. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Blackburn Rovers v Stoke City, Sat 6 April 2019, KO 15:00

Post by WacoRover » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:30 pm

Our guys played hard at Villa; heres hoping we see the same effort vs Stoke, with a better result!

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Stoke have drawn their last 4 games 0-0. So a team struggling for goals I really hope we don't gift them a couple of goals as seems to be our custom.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:29 pm

I think this game will tell us where our team is at. Apparently Rovers didn't play too badly in the second half last week and we should have a full squad to choose from. Stoke aren't playing well and we are at home. I'll be seriously worried if we can't win this one.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:21 pm

No Dack in the 18. Travis dropped bizarrely.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:52 pm

I am baffled at that midfield selection.

yankfan
Promising youngster

Post by yankfan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Had the run of form since January been the start of the season, I dont think TM would have made it to Christmas. It looks like we might finish with around the same points as we did under Owen Coyle for fucks sake.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:06 pm

I think that's the price you pay when you don't sign any suitable first team players in the January window. Then again, there was no need to spend an inflated price to get someone when we can see out the season.

This match lacked the cutting edge and shows the importance of getting a true winger who can put in a good cross. Armstrong is not that guy, and Bennett was well off his game today. Nyambe doesn't really have it, Bell is doubtful, and Rothwell is one of those players that shines and then finds a way to make it turn into a shiny dog turd.

I feel like this match was playing fringe first team and see how they perform. No Dack or Travis starting kind of raised alarm bells to me. Really need to get away from the 2 central defensive midfielders I think, especially when one is an enforcer and Evans is whatever he is.

Positive note, Raya made a couple solid saves, including a penalty saved. Gave the fans something to cheer.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:33 pm

Stoke probably one of the worst sides I’ve seen this season....and they beat us...says it all really. A starting midfield consisting of Smallwood, Evans and Bennett...1 goal between them this season...Jesus Christ!! :doh:

Nervously looking over our shoulder...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:12 am

We should be enough points, with enough teams between us, to be safe from relegation.

I think our form highlights the squad depth issues, but this should always have been a building season. We're fairly toothless if Dack isn't playing and on form, and other clubs have worked that out.

We need a few shrewd moves over the summer, a few more flair o we have more options for creativity, and perhaps a few more experienced heads.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:35 am

Appreciate we’ve had injuries but think Mowbray needs to tinker less with the side at times. He’d talked about changes this weekend but I just can’t understand starting Evans and Smallwood especially when you’ve got Travis and Reed sat on the bench.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Yesterday's match confirmed my worst fears -lack of real quality throughout the team. Didn't help when I heard the team selection, no Dack and the turgid twins in midfield. As usual, absolutely no urgency even when Stoke went ahead. At one stage Lenihan was about to take a free kick half way inside Rovers half when he changed his mind, strolled up field and Raya sauntered up to take the kick, allowing the Stoke defenders to get into position.
Plenty of crosses from the wings and corners, but few effective ones. Stoke's goal was an ace -a virtually unstoppable shot from outside the box, however it begged the question - when did Rovers last score a goal in open play from outside the penalty area? Evans is a confirmed non scorer - I wonder if he is embarrassed by the fact that Bell has got three since Christmas?
Rovers looked a lot better when Brereton joined Danny up front- something for Mowbray to dwell on?
And why wasn't Raya mom? Saved a penalty plus a couple of other shots which would have beaten the majority of keepers
Seems that Mowbray doesn't know what to do to change things - well why not try Reed, Rodwell and Travis in central midfield with Rothwell and Dack playing behind Danny? I'm cheesed off with losing week in week out, this is becoming more like our relegation season every week, and I'm nowhere near as convinced as others that we are safe form going down.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Spot on ^

Genuine question....how many of the games that Smallwood has started has he actually finished? I would guess less than 20%. What does that tell you....

I don’t want to sack TM, but he HAS to be ruthless this summer and cut out “his favourites.”

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:42 pm

You would think that the data shows both Evans and Smallwood's ineffectiveness throughout the season. Hopefully this will ring some alarm bells over the summer, reinforcing the idea that there is a need to bring in a more progressive minded central midfielder.

I know I have a Columbus Crew bias when it comes to this, but I think Wil Trapp would be perfect for this role. He doesn't score goals but he can pick out a long ball really well. Very passionate, not afraid to let his teammates know when they need to be doing something. Only negative I have about him is his size.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Unfortunately Evans signed a new contract recently until the summer of 2021....