The Penultimate Match: Canaries in the Coal Mine v Doggos Barking at Canaries, Sat 27 April 2019, KO 19:30

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Is one in the hand worth more than two in the bush?

Yes
14%
Only if Mick McCarthy is in the bush
29%
When it's Igor Tudor's sculpting hands
No votes
Depends on the size of the kestrel in the bush
14%
Maybe for the Gibbon
14%
If it can fit in the Nordic Bakeware
14%
Not for the arable farmer, who sees the bush as wasted arable farmland
14%

Total votes: 7

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

The Penultimate Match: Canaries in the Coal Mine v Doggos Barking at Canaries, Sat 27 April 2019, KO 19:30

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:24 pm

Youth or experience?

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: The Penultimate Match: Canaries in the Coal Mine v Doggos Barking at Canaries, Sat 27 April 2019, KO 19:30

Post by mcteeth » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:40 pm

Aside from giving Brereton another start not sure I see the need to start a load of youngsters. The team are playing really well and I think we should be aiming to get as many points as possible and finish as high as possible.

Not saying players like Butterworth and Buckley can’t cut it or it’s a gamble playing them but would be nice to finish on a high and also give Rodwell and Travis more time together in central midfield.

Slightly peeved that I can’t go to this now since Sky moved it to the late kick off. Couldn’t refund my train tickets either so that’s money down the drain :evil:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: The Penultimate Match: Canaries in the Coal Mine v Doggos Barking at Canaries, Sat 27 April 2019, KO 19:30

Post by Gibbon » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:40 pm

Youthsperience! :hyper:

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Not sure what the average age of our team was in the latter stages of Saturday's match but it must have been one of the youngest ever. Would like to see Butterworth again at some stage.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 pm

I think Butterworth looked solid last time. Pretty much put himself in Dack's spot and did the work.

I really want to see Chapman though, I think he deserves some game time.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:50 pm

The team is pretty young as it is generally speaking.

Norwich have been a bit nervy if late but they’re pretty much as good as promoted as it is.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:55 pm

I expect Sheffield United to beat Ipswich just before Rovers play Norwich leaving them level on points with Norwich. The Blades will be hoping we can beat Norwich or at least draw. If Sheffield do win it will put the pressure on Norwich to win which is something they have not done in four games. Apart from Villa Rovers are the form team in the championship. Last thing you need when you are chasing promotion. Rovers could really piss on Norwich's party plans and Delia's Vol-u-vents will have to go back in the freezer.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:15 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:55 pm
I expect Sheffield United to beat Ipswich just before Rovers play Norwich leaving them level on points with Norwich. The Blades will be hoping we can beat Norwich or at least draw. If Sheffield do win it will put the pressure on Norwich to win which is something they have not done in four games. Apart from Villa Rovers are the form team in the championship. Last thing you need when you are chasing promotion. Rovers could really piss on Norwich's party plans and Delia's Vol-u-vents will have to go back in the freezer.
But the reality is that Norwich are effectively already promoted, as they need to lose both games, Leeds win both with a 10 goal swing along with Sheffield Utd winning at least once to overtake them.

You're right that Sheffield Utd should beat Ipswich which will also effectively ensure they're promoted too. I think a bit like last season with us and Wigan the only pressure was to ensure you got automatic promotion, I didn't really care whether we won the division or not although it would have been a nice bonus. I can't imagine Norwich will feel under too much pressure aside from wanting to win the trophy, they've done the hard bit already.

Leeds Utd TV (Sky) messing fans about changing the times 3 weeks before the matches has somewhat backfired as there isn't that much of interest now. If Sheffield Utd win in the late afternoon KO that's Leeds glimmer of hope done for and they'll then make a huge drama about who can win the league. With the millionth game showing Leeds this season on Sunday at home to Villa being completely meaningless then as both are set for the play-offs.

I also think it's somewhat ridiculous that in moving all 3 fixtures the fans with the largest distance to travel, Rovers, will be in Norwich at 9.30pm. Appreciate Ipswich to Sheffield is a long way too but at least they're finished by 7.15pm which is a bit more reasonable. It has also meant me and the old man couldn't go :(

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:35 pm

Chapman is in the 18 tonight :hyper:

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:55 pm

3 goals already. Travis getting his first senior goal 8-)

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:12 pm

Norwich are an absolute joy to watch. Playing us off the pitch

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:13 pm

Yeah they’re looking pretty slick.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:27 pm

Final score, 2-1 to Norwich City..

Travis gets his first goal, really didn't expect anything but a good performance. Everyone put a shift in and did what we could.

Chapman came on in the final 20 minutes and looked like a sight for sore eyes. Glad we signed him back on.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:32 pm

I thought it was going to be an embarrassing scoreline at one point but to the lads credit they fought back. Not to be in the end but at least they tried. Norwich finished 14th last season...just shows what can be done.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:28 pm

Wow. How we managed to escape with a 2-1 defeat god only knows. The gulf in class was clear. I appreciate our players are already on the beach and our season is over but the standard that Norwich are at shows how far we need to come. That first 45 mins alongside Sheff United display at Ewood is probably the best opposition I’ve seen this season.

Hopefully we can get a result against Swansea to get us to 60 points which in the end will wrap up a good season.