Retained list.

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Retained list.

Post by WacoRover » Wed May 15, 2019 3:22 pm

Leutwiler.

Rovers are talking with Conway, Rodwell & Gladwin.

Downing, Doyle & Mansell not retained.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Re: Retained list.

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed May 15, 2019 3:34 pm

I hope we keep Craig Conway for another season, seems like a solid experienced head to have that can cross the ball.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed May 15, 2019 3:44 pm

He crosses the ball with his head? :shock:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed May 15, 2019 4:54 pm

So next season we're lining up as

-------------Leutwiler------------

:shock:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed May 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Well done Tony Mowbray on giving Ben Gladwin a chance. It is not the obvious thing to do after two seasons of misery for Ben but Tony is a believer in his signings as we have seen with the other Ben on Rovers roster. Perhaps it goes with the club ethic that Tony will not give up on Ben Gladwin. Perhaps too this club ethic will rub off on Jack Rodwell. You don't become a bad player over night but it helps it you are at the right club to get you back on track. Rovers are that club and if Jack Rodwell decides that Rovers are not for him then it might be back to what he endured at Sunderland. Craig Conway isn't has fast as what he used to be and the bones complain more after every game. His chances of playing next season maybe even less than this season just finished but he has a proven quality. Maybe he has something to offer next season. Paul Downing did his job for Rovers in league One and Doncaster Rovers would be daft not to sign him permanently. Good luck to the young players who were released by Rovers. The standard for making the grade at Rovers for the young players is high and you have to be very good to make the U23s nevermind the first team. On the goalkeepers well perhaps if Man United have doubts over their Spanish goalkeeper who are we to doubt ours. Leutwiller has not done much but again has not done much wrong. We don't need to bring in another keeper especially if the money can be spent elsewhere.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Wed May 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:54 pm
So next season we're lining up as

-------------Leutwiler------------

:shock:
Part of the deal is to clone him so we’ve got a team full of Leutwilers!

Silliness aside, I wasn’t at all impressed by him at the tail end of last season. He’s not bad but he’s done nothing to say he deserves to replace Raya. I thought he let in a few soft goals too.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu May 16, 2019 7:14 am

I'm surprised at that, I honestly thought Leutwiler would be let go and a proven GK would come in to put pressure on Raya for the No1 shirt.

Having said that, we haven't seen an awful lot of Leutwiler and when we have he's not done much wrong. I'd still like improvement in the GK position, but maybe these two still have more to come. Part of me thinks I judge goalkeepers too harshly these days, we've been used to a very high standard between the sticks in the past.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 16, 2019 8:03 am

Dan wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:14 am
I'm surprised at that, I honestly thought Leutwiler would be let go and a proven GK would come in to put pressure on Raya for the No1 shirt.

Having said that, we haven't seen an awful lot of Leutwiler and when we have he's not done much wrong. I'd still like improvement in the GK position, but maybe these two still have more to come. Part of me thinks I judge goalkeepers too harshly these days, we've been used to a very high standard between the sticks in the past.
Nah, you should keep those high standards.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu May 16, 2019 1:18 pm

Seems like we're set to sign a few defenders then. As strange as it is to say it Mulgrew defensively is probably too suspect and would be below Williams in the pecking order as things stand. Not convinced Rodwell will be with us next season and even if he is not sure CB is where he should play despite Mowbray wanting to play him there.

Little surprised too about Leutwiler as for me the main thing his performances demonstrated is that we need a better number 2 than him :shrug:

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Thu May 16, 2019 2:58 pm

To have a player of Rodwell's ability that can play midfield or centre back is a rare luxury I'd have liked to have seen him play more in midfield instead of you know who. Young Travis could only learn by the exoerience.

El Sphero
Promising youngster

Post by El Sphero » Fri May 17, 2019 3:55 pm

Whilst Downing isn’t a bad player by any means, it’s probably the right decision to let him go to pave the way for a proper first team CB. Mulgrew, Rodwell, Williams and even Magloire are all good back ups to go next to Lenihan but a new signing would be ideal.

Having said that, if we waste our time in the transfer market and don’t get the signing we need, letting him go might be something we slightly regret.

Also a bit surprised by Leutwiler like everyone else.