2019/2020 season

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: 2019/2020 season

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Because you always make it personal? You started your involvement in this with a personal dig, so what do you expect?

The funniest thing is, for climate change and Brexit, you have no intention of giving any credit to reports or scientific predictions or expert evidence on the outcome. On climate change you cite the economic cost as a reason not to listen to those saying that the cost of doing nothing is going to be worse. Yet with this our roles have been reversed. Guess we're both hypocrites, huh?

No, I don't have any research to the contrary to hand. I bet it's out there though, I'm just not inclined to look for it cause I have other things to do. However, as with SARS, as with Swine Flu there were huge predictions of high mortality rates; in the end in the UK had 138 deaths. Again, coronavirus has a higher mortality rate, but not by a huge amount. Swine Flu also seemed to be more infectious and also the at risk groups were much less narrow.

Anyway, like I said before, let's agree to disagree.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:51 pm

What do you mean, my first involvement was personal? I pointed out you'd missed the obvious sarcasm in someone else's comment and you shouldn't have chucked an insult at them. That's not a personal dig, it's about something incorrect and rude that you wrote. I had hoped to prompt an apology to Darth, but instead you put "let's ignore that" or something.

I'm not going to get into past arguments and how you're skewing the opinions I expressed in them once again. As I said, if I feel I have sufficient knowledge on a subject, I'll form my own opinion. I have questions from a statistician's point of view about climate change that are met with insults rather than answers - which leaves me with the sense that people are going along with what they're told rather than actually understanding it. Arguably I'm in the majority on Brexit, although I'm not foolish enough to think everyone would have voted for the same reasons. But I've got enough education in economics to know the way George Osbourne and Mark Carney presented their cases for remaining in the EU was wholly dishonest.

In both cases I can find support for my views, even if there are attempts to discredit the sources by those who oppose them. With Covid-19, the stats make sense, the economy is going to be battered whatever happens. The medical argument I have to take at trust. If you have a hunch they're wrong that's fine, you have a right to your own opinion. You make a good point that other medical scares have not been as severe, but then this one is judged to be worse. However, were they less severe because the predictions were wrong, or because the medical response was correct and reduced fatalities? That applies with Brexit too, the reasons why the predictions were wrong is because they could be predicted and would be mitigated. The arrival of this virus wasn't expected, and that's why it's going to hurt economically.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Agree to disagree.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:34 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:21 am
I'm going to log out now.
Haha, fair.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:26 am

Dack beats Stoke’s Thibaud Verlinden at Fifa to take us through to the next round of the Ultimate Quaran-Team Cup tournament. :hyper:

Next up: Forest Green.
Fans can watch the FIFA Ultimate Quaran-Team live streamed on each team’s social media channels such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Highlights could also be made available for fans to relive the action.