Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 4349
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:27 pm

Interesting team selection and no Walton.

Rothwell with another screamer and Brereton again.

Good stuff.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 18302
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:42 pm

I’m excited to see what Brereton can achieve this season, I think the pressure’s largely off him now with the weight of expectation now shared with Gallagher.

User avatar
Darth Rover
Ageing international
Posts: 4326
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:44 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:27 pm
Interesting team selection and no Walton.

Rothwell with another screamer and Brereton again.

Good stuff.
Lee Bowyer will be very worried. Rovers form pre season has been excellent. A young Rovers team scored four goals in eight minutes at Kendal yesterday. Yes its only inferior oposition but apart from the Rangers game Rovers have found it quite easy. Blackpool should be a harder test at the weekend but there is nothing to suggest otherwise that Rovers should start the new season unbeaten in the preseason games.

User avatar
El Sphero
Promising youngster
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 7:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by El Sphero » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:57 pm

Another game, another win, and another different line up :yeahright: it’s starting to feel like quite a big squad in my opinion; I wonder if Mowbray is thinking of selling/ loaning those who won’t get much time in the first team.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 4349
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by mcteeth » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:47 am

Gibbon wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:42 pm
I’m excited to see what Brereton can achieve this season, I think the pressure’s largely off him now with the weight of expectation now shared with Gallagher.
Same. I'd argue that he didn't particularly do anything wrong last season except be judged as a 7m sub. Aside from a couple of chances missed and was rarely ever played centrally.

With a pre season and a bit of confidence I think we might start to see some of the promise we invested in.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 4349
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by mcteeth » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:48 am

El Sphero wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:57 pm
Another game, another win, and another different line up :yeahright: it’s starting to feel like quite a big squad in my opinion; I wonder if Mowbray is thinking of selling/ loaning those who won’t get much time in the first team.
Shame that Hart went off injured as that now only leaves Bell at LB with William's and Hart crocked.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 4349
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by mcteeth » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:50 am

I'm also irrationally going to call it early but think Rothwell is going to be a big player for us this season.

User avatar
Hudson
Regular international
Posts: 977
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by Hudson » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:23 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:50 am
I'm also irrationally going to call it early but think Rothwell is going to be a big player for us this season.
I'm hoping so. He was one of Oxford's best players when he was there, so I was a bit disappointed with his lack of appearances for us until the tail-end of the season. He's done really well in the friendlies (including that cracking goal vs Bury) and hopefully he'll get some much needed game time when the new season starts.

User avatar
Darth Rover
Ageing international
Posts: 4326
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:47 am

Bury could be expelled from the EFL today. This looks extremely likely given the situation. The FA are being blamed for not acting in the best interests of Bury whose current owner bought the club for £1 last year.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15387
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:34 am

The FA don't act in the best interest of any club not in the Premier League.

User avatar
Jim
Ageing international
Posts: 2002
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:51 pm
Location: Doncaster in Gods Own County
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by Jim » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:13 pm

My personal thoughts, and I know I’ll get torn to bits for this in forensic detail, is that a small portion of every transfer should be held in a fund by the FA to rescue clubs from going completely bust. There would be checks and balances in place to prevent abuse of the system but ideally it would stabilise the situation on a very short term basis until a new owner could be found.

Or FA legislation that says they can step in and remove a chairman/owner from a club (buy them out or whatever) in order to save the club and it’s history.

Because we all know, whatever our opinions of some clubs, those clubs are woven in the fabric of people’s lives. Not really the players but the staff, the stewards, the fans, the matchday stalls and businesses. People live, breathe and die fans of the clubs they support. To lose a club is absolutely abhorrent in my opinion.

Except Burnley. Burnley can fall off the planet 😂

User avatar
Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international
Posts: 2403
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:45 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:36 pm

I agree with you Jim. Since there is such silly money being thrown around lately, if somehow just even 1% was retained by FA in a fund to essentially put a club on life support and find them a proper owner, I would love that.

However, there is just a lot of opportunity for corruption.

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:58 am
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by Duggywerefab » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:09 am

Jim, great idea, I'd allow Burnley into that scheme, they are currently showing what can be done in small Lancs town but they almost died in the 1980s, we at Rovers shouldn't kid ourselves, we were hanging on ourselves in the late 1970s and early 80s - there but for the grace of Jack Walker....

But don't expect any long-term forward thinking, industry-wide idea like that from the authorities, they are all about short term effects and transactions, building their own ego and brief fame.

Sad, Bury were a regular Div 1 team when my Dad was around and I think they produced some internationals in their time, didn't Colin Bell start there? Great history, sad it's going to go... :( Who's next, Oldham? The Dale?

Up the Rovers!

Duggy

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27832
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:00 pm

Bury's takeover appears to have fallen through.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27832
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Friendly: Bury/Blackburn

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Jim wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:13 pm
My personal thoughts, and I know I’ll get torn to bits for this in forensic detail, is that a small portion of every transfer should be held in a fund by the FA to rescue clubs from going completely bust. There would be checks and balances in place to prevent abuse of the system but ideally it would stabilise the situation on a very short term basis until a new owner could be found.

Or FA legislation that says they can step in and remove a chairman/owner from a club (buy them out or whatever) in order to save the club and it’s history.

Because we all know, whatever our opinions of some clubs, those clubs are woven in the fabric of people’s lives. Not really the players but the staff, the stewards, the fans, the matchday stalls and businesses. People live, breathe and die fans of the clubs they support. To lose a club is absolutely abhorrent in my opinion.

Except Burnley. Burnley can fall off the planet 😂
The thing is, when clubs do go bust, usually a new club is formed to take their place. And find it easier to rise through the non-league echelons due to having a bigger core of support than the teams at those levels.

Post Reply