Fergie R.I.P

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Fergie R.I.P

Post by Duggywerefab » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:32 pm

All,

It seems to be my role on here to recognize and recall memories of Rovers' greats when I were a lad so give a quiet respectful RIP and raise a pint to one of the best wingers I saw in Mike Ferguson.

A much under-estimated player, overshadowed a bit at first by Douggie, Pickering etc he was sometimes untouchable in the 1962-66 era. He was really hard to play against; you knew which way he was going but he had, as they say now, "quick feet" for such a big lad and could cross a ball very well. With him on the right, oak-thigh'd Mike Harrison on the left, Douggie pulling the strings and Pickering/McEvoy nodding them in it was a delightful few years to be a Rover.

He was a tall, square shouldered man that we just looked up at from our perch down by the Riverside wall - heroes within fingertip reach.

Then later in the 1970's "when footballers were skint" I remember him helping Douggie on his Darwen Market stall. My Mum of all people, often used to recall Fergie with his unexpectedly high pitch voice (a la Alan Ball), holding up a bottle of Domestos and asking Duggy "How much are these Bryan?"

Different days! Thanks Mike for giving us so much pleasure with your beautiful game,

Sadly,

Duggywerefab

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Re: Fergie R.I.P

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:53 pm

A little bit before my time but not by much though but highly spoken of on the Rovers website. RIP Mike Ferguson. A few from my generation gone lately namely Kevin Stonehouse and Jon lowey have sadly passed before their time. By all accounts of what my dad tells me it sounds the Rovers players of the fifties and sixties were well worth the admission fee which is far more value for money than what is on offer these days.

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Post by Duggywerefab » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Darth, well worth the 2/6 or it might have been 3 bob by then!

I know we (I) get rose-tinted specs about the good old days but it seems that way. However, other old timers on here will remember being beaten by the likes of Workington, Rochdale etc too

Come to think of it, there were a lot of those groaner-days and I walked up Craven's brew shaking my head many times!

Duggy

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:26 pm

Very nice tribute, Duggy. Makes me wish I had seen him play