Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City, Sat 29 Feb 2020, KO 1500

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

It's leap year and

We are leaping into playoffs
29%
Frolicking into the woods to grandma's house we go
43%
Sauntering through the day, hoping the work day ends soon
No votes
Meandering through the trees with gibbons
14%
Rambling on with Igor Tudor, talking about the latest Nordic Bakeware Competition
No votes
Dilly-Dallying with the arable farmers
14%
-------'
No votes

Total votes: 7

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City, Sat 29 Feb 2020, KO 1500

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:32 am

Really need a win here to keep playoffs alive.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City, Sat 29 Feb 2020, KO 1500

Post by mcteeth » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:11 am

Yep. On paper we have the 'easier' game compared with Bristol and Preston. Need a win.

RofTheRovers
New signing

Post by RofTheRovers » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:35 pm

Time to put the mysterious Mowbray-Raya-Mulgrew affair behind him and give Charlie a game.

The alternative will just make everyone groan.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:07 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:32 am
Really need a win here to keep playoffs alive.
Absolutely. Especially, with toughies Derby & Bristol coming up.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:15 pm

RofTheRovers wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:35 pm
Time to put the mysterious Mowbray-Raya-Mulgrew affair behind him and give Charlie a game.

The alternative will just make everyone groan.
I know Nyambe is a real asset driving forward down the right but my preference would be to move him inside and put Bennett at RB. It keeps Tosin left side CB where he has been at his best and Nyambe and Bennett can both play in those positions.

Williams looked ropey last time he played and not not sure what we'd get from Mulgrew. Been a while since he has played a Championship game.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:42 am

Ask yourself a question. How many current Rovers players would be moved on if Rovers gained promotion to the Premier league. Certainly those who are past their best and several who are first teamers may not be considered good enough. Now consider would these players see it in their own interest to try and get Rovers in the premier league.

stillgrowling
Valued squad member

Post by stillgrowling » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:24 am

Evans, Holtby and Dack are injured, Lenihan suspended, Mulgrew, Smallwood and Chapman seemingly out of favour, not sure about Williams and Davenport,with such a depleted squad can we realistically expect to gain promotion, or even beat Swansea? I'll sit and cheer like mad this afternoon, but in my heart I think this season's blown. Next year will be the big one.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:54 am

Darth Rover wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:42 am
Ask yourself a question. How many current Rovers players would be moved on if Rovers gained promotion to the Premier league. Certainly those who are past their best and several who are first teamers may not be considered good enough. Now consider would these players see it in their own interest to try and get Rovers in the premier league.
What a lot of nonsense.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:39 pm

Consider this, which person would realistically think, "that premier league is tough, definitely not worth that pay raise."

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:00 pm

Let’s see how today plays out... then we have to deal with Derby... Bristol.. etc. but, today first.

I personally think Ol’ Tony has done a fantastic job of putting out a competitive 11 the last few weeks, with what player personnel he has. I was hoping for a finish in the top half; to think we’re talking about a playoff run now, is mind blowing.

I thought we needed 4 of 6 pts from Stoke & Swans to legitimately say we’re in a playoff run. If we get zero or 1 point today, I’m afraid the playoff talk goes into mothballs, to be resurrected next year.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:17 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:24 am
Evans, Holtby and Dack are injured, Lenihan suspended, Mulgrew, Smallwood and Chapman seemingly out of favour, I'll sit and cheer like mad this afternoon, but in my heart I think this season's blown. Next year will be the big one.
This is what we need to talk about; what evidence is there to be excited about, or even think next year is the big one? I’m not being a wise guy, I want to believe happy days are just around the corner, I just don’t see any reasons to believe it. Are Davenport, Gallagher & BB suddenly going to score bushels of goals? Will Dack & Holtby come back healthy, or even stay at Rovers at all? Can we sign Tosin & Walton? Any legs left with DG, Bennett, Mulgrew, Downing, or Johnson? can we please finally get a left back?

I just want to know if there’s any way we can beat Swansea today, or even get a point, with Lenihan suspended...

RofTheRovers
New signing

Post by RofTheRovers » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:21 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:15 pm

I know Nyambe is a real asset driving forward down the right but my preference would be to move him inside and put Bennett at RB. It keeps Tosin left side CB where he has been at his best and Nyambe and Bennett can both play in those positions.

Williams looked ropey last time he played and not not sure what we'd get from Mulgrew. Been a while since he has played a Championship game.
I know Mulgrew hasn't played for ages. But due to Mowbray's very poor defensive dealings in the transfer market we have ended up in this position.

Anyway, the fact he was in Glasgow the other night and he's not even made the bench today when we have a defensive crisis more or less confirms the 'rumours' about the big falling out at the end of last season.

For me Nyambe isn't a centre back. He can't head the ball. I fear if Swansea play direct and get the ball in the box we could be in for a torrid time.

Rovers 1-2 Swansea.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Johnson and Lenihan out of the lineup, Bennett and Samuel get the nod. Don't know how we're shaping up, but a lineup of

Walton
Bennett-Nyambe-Tosin-Bell
Downing-Travis-Rothwell
Samuel-Armstrong-Gallagher

Bold going with 3 strikers in the lineup, very attacking minded. Also, no Mulgrew even sniffing the bench. No defensive sub on the bench, closest thing there is Rankin-Costello. It's worrisome for sure.

RofTheRovers
New signing

Post by RofTheRovers » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:26 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Bold going with 3 strikers in the lineup, very attacking minded. Also, no Mulgrew even sniffing the bench. No defensive sub on the bench, closest thing there is Rankin-Costello. It's worrisome for sure.
The bizarre tactic of Brereton on the bench continues on. :shrug:

If Danny Graham (who seems like he's on his last legs these days) is coming on ahead of you, then that's an obvious sign that you're not rated.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:28 pm

RofTheRovers wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:26 pm
Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:22 pm

The bizarre tactic of Brereton on the bench continues on. :shrug:

If Danny Graham (who seems like he's on his last legs these days) is coming on ahead of you, then that's an obvious sign that you're not rated.
Yes, BB on the bench I do not understand. He never gets in. Just a wasted space.