Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

This looks like it’ll be a Wigan...

...a bottle of cold beer with a lovely pie.
25%
...a fake moustache.
50%
...a free Donald Trump with every purchase of Nordic Bakeware.
No votes
...a gibbon to wear it.
No votes
No votes
...a helmet to stop the wind blowing it off.
25%

Total votes: 8

Gibbon
Promising manager

Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:21 pm

WE SHALL BE VICTORIOUS! :hyper:

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Ever the spicier encounter these days.

Horrible draw last time out and season ending injury for Dack. Would be nice to get one over them this time. Think we've only beaten them once in the last 5/6 games which is disappointing.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by WacoRover » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:12 pm

Yeah, this match has always surprised me; Wigan plays feisty, livelier than normal. I liked our spirit & pace vs BC, I want to see if the lads play like that vs a team desperate to stay out of relegation places.

I had to look it up, Rovers were 7-3-4 vs Wigan in PL. Dare I say it- a rivalry? Something has to be judged more important, looked forward to, by both clubs, to be considered a rivalry, at least in my book. I don’t see Rovers fans take it that way. Definitely more of a “trap” game to us.

I hope Gibbon is right; Rovers certainly have a lot to play for.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:12 pm

I'd say it's definitely somewhat of a derby game and has been a lot spicier since the League 1 season and Paul Cook started having a couple of digs at us in interviews as well as some on pitch battles often centred around Morsy and Dack. We were both vying for promotion which added to things.

But even before that it's always one of those games where we take a big away following but definitely one of the lesser derbies and Wigan isn't in Lancashire but neither is Bolton and that's always been a big game.

Sadly Paul Cook has had Mowbray tactically in terms of game plans too often even if that has resulted in dire draws. They make it a very physical battle and stop us playing our game and we've rarely had an answer to it aside from beating them 3-0 at Ewood last season.

See what happens this time, they need points to keep away from relegation and we need points to push for promotion so plenty to play for.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:00 pm

This might be an overstatement but this is the make or break match of the season. Still have Leeds, West Brom, Cardiff City and Millwall to play yet. I hope the Bristol City match doesn't give us overconfidence either, because from what I hear Bristol City were missing some key players.

As long as we can find a way to get around the shithousing tactic, we should win.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:00 pm
As long as we can find a way to get around the shithousing tactic, we should win.
Exactly this. We have failed to do so multiple times this season. Luton, Charlton, Wigan, Birmingham, Stoke, Huddersfield (x2). Winnable games we've really not made the most of as we can't figure out how to beat teams that are only generally trying not to lose as their only objective.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:08 pm

Preston v Cardiff on Saturday as well :detective:

We've pretty much failed at every time we've been in a position to go into the top 6, really hope we beat Wigna and then see what happens elsewhere.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:57 pm

Yep, I agree, I truly don’t think Rovers are ready to go up, either, but I sure enjoy victories. Wigan first, then let’s take whatever comes on a positive note. Besides, it’s been 8 seasons; if we aren’t building towards a promotion season, whenever it is, something is dreadfully wrong.

Take ‘em one match at a time...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:55 am

There are few teams who have gone up from the Championship who I've thought were ready to compete in the PL. Plenty of them manage it. £170 million will do that to a team.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:10 am

Waco I don't necessary think we're not ready to go, just that since we've been in the Championship we've failed to seize the key moments when they present themselves.

Whether it's the 0-0 draw at home to Yeovil back in 2014, last season 0-2 away at Brentford and losing 5-2. The back to back draws with Wigan and Birmingham this season where 6 points takes us up into the top 6. Again back to back draws against Stoke and Swansea at home in February. I don't see it as a lack of quality it's probably just about mentality, a bit of good fortune falling our way at some point and we've got a young squad that's evolving and improving. Certainly under Mowbray the development of the squad and how we perform is improving season on season and hopefully our time will come for promotion.

There is no reason why we aren't one of the stronger contenders for making the play-offs this season. There's a big pack of teams that have been as inconsistent as we have. I'd only really put WBA, Leeds, Brentford and at a push Fulham as teams that are fundamentally better than we are and the rest of the division, hence why they will no doubt make up the top 4 come the end of the season. But Forest, Preston, Cardiff, Swansea, Bristol, Millwall, Derby and ourselves I don't thinks there's much between any of us.

I suspect the teams that end up 5th and 6th will be the ones that deal with this mini season and the strange circumstances best. We've made a good start as have Cardiff, Swansea and Derby so let's see what happens. The notion of home and away advantage/disadvantage has also seemingly gone out of the window without supporters and the new match protocols. First round of games there were only 2 home wins us and Cardiff.

We're pretty much fully fit aside from Dack so let's see what happens.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:19 pm

Ethiaa & McTeeth, I hear what you’re saying. Rovers are just as good as any of those other clods. In fact, of the three that promoted last season, I rated ShefU as the best bet to stay up, because of defending. Norwich, not at all, too much one-trick Ponyism.

(Just incoherent scattershooting):
Promote without Dack... that would be quite the trick, and reason for dancing in the streets. Our future... a topic worth pondering. Dack is the future... as much as I once thought Rhodes & Gestede would get us there. Nowadays, they are barely hanging on. Dack is the future. Is Tosin in our future? I like to think Nyambe & Armstrong are. Travis is the future... maybe.

Is the key to our future not just hanging onto Dack, but hopefully, picking up a couple more just like him?

Leeds & WBA promote; fairly sure of that now. Why can’t we be #3? Just beat Wigan, baby...

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:01 pm

We just need to beg Pep to let him have another season on loan with us. No chance Man City will sell Tosin and we couldn't afford him if they were.

Probably holds us in good stead that he's played in his best position with us in a side with a passing style of football. I'm sure we'll be first in the queue if he is given another season out on loan.

WBA and Leeds probably will be the top 2 but a few more slip ups and it could get interesting.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:02 pm

Yeah, I fully understand on Tosin. As a loaner, it can’t get much better than him.

Walton, I dunno... I really haven’t decided if he is any better than Raya, who has done well at Brentford.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:21 am

I was sad to see Raya go, I think he has a big future, but Walton has been a decent replacement. We certainly need to make signing a decent keeper a priority though, without one, everything else falls apart.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:22 pm

Was very sad to see Raya go. He's an excellent goalkeeper at such a young age and could well go on to have a long career at a high level.

Overall I think Walton hasn't met my personal expectations so somewhat of a let down from Raya. He was generally excellent for Wigan across 2 seasons on loan and I don't think we've quite seen that level of performance consistently this season.

I thought he looked particularly below par for the first part of the season. He's made a number of mistakes that have led to goals or penalties which isn't great. But I think from around Christmas or so he started putting in some good performances and we've seen him earn us points in games with some late saves. Disappointing that he made another mistake on Saturday but hopefully that doesn't knock his confidence too much.

One of the top priorities this summer is to secure a permanent goalkeeper and that answer isn't Leutwiler who I expect to leave the club and I'm not completely convinced that it is Walton. Also not sure Brighton would sell him and would probably want more than I think he's demonstrated he is worth.