Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

This looks like it’ll be a Wigan...

...a bottle of cold beer with a lovely pie.
2
25%
...a fake moustache.
4
50%
...a free Donald Trump with every purchase of Nordic Bakeware.
0
No votes
...a gibbon to wear it.
0
No votes
.....................................
0
No votes
...a helmet to stop the wind blowing it off.
2
25%
 
Total votes: 8

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 4503
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by mcteeth » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:48 pm

Extremely depressing. Completely incapable of dealing with that style of play and Paul Cook is the master of it.

Wigan just pulled our pants down in the last 10 minutes wasting time and disrupting play and we had no answer aside from let another goal in.

Yes Evans is a big loss but in these games we need a plan B or a better plan A. Sometimes think we'd be better off being a bit braver on the ball in attack. Lots of sideways passing and possession but amounts to very little sadly.

Move on to Tuesday. If we're serious about the top 6 that is a must win.
Last edited by mcteeth on Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 3092
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by WacoRover » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:27 am

It’s strange to me, Tony puts three guys on the field at 65’, who are better scorers than the guys they replaced. At least statistically. Yet, the defending falls apart, and Rovers concede two. Ours do not score.

Depressing is correct.

Sometimes, we get outplayed, sometimes we get outcoached. Today it was both.

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:58 am
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by Duggywerefab » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:56 pm

All, whether we like it or not (and I don't particularly) this is now a business and we have some really good employees who are under-performing, as well as other employees who are past their cost/benefit or sell-date and some who are out of their league (literally!).

In any other business, the manager would be replaced, having not met the expectations of the employer (I assume anyway). We seem to have a dour man, running an unadventurous group of people, when we either need someone to either discipline them into shape like Dyche or Big Sam would (or did) or to lead by enthusiasm and belief like Klopp does. TM is neither and needs to be replaced. No emotions necessary, he has been well compensated. TM did a good job and has got us back to mid level but as they say, "what got you here, won't get you there".

Just my three 'apennyworth, Up the Rovers Ltd!

Duggy

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15536
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 pm

Some people never learn....

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13816
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:40 am

I'm with Matt. You don't know what you've got till it's gone. We have a good manager who is doing well with a small town club with small town gates. What's more, there is progression year on year.

You don't need to look very far back to see what repeatedly casting around for a miracle manager does to the fortunes of the club.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 4503
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:27 am

Not really sure who is under performing so drastically? Gallagher should have scored some more goals sure and Brereton has only started 5 league games this season, mainly as a winger. The rest of their play outside of scoring is very good but the goals do need to come.

Walton has had a few gaffs but isn't the goalkeeper we wanted this season and we will get a permanent #1 this summer. Aside from that pretty much the whole squad is improving and getting better. Especially the likes of Arma, Travis, Bell, Nyambe and even Evans despite his time at the club.

I must have missed the memo that said the expectations on Mowbray were that we had to get promoted this season... :shrug:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15536
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:15 pm

Mcteeth: some people's expectations are that we win the Premier League, Champions League, World Cup, Superbowl, Ryder Cup, Nobel Peace Prize, US election and the world spelling bee.

User avatar
Dutch
New signing
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by Dutch » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:48 pm

Exactly, sure we were in the playoff hunt but no way we were close to prem quality. We've beaten last season's points haul and have looked competitive for longer spells than last year. It's disappointing to be sure but we have some promising youngsters who could compete next year and the "passing" style of play could be better learned by then.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 4503
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:48 am

I actually thought after Bristol win that we had a reasonable chance of making the top 6 but I think that's done now. Had we made it that would have been a massive achievement for our second season back from league 1 and a good experience to go through. Given you'd have to face one of the current top 3 over 2 legs initially I doubt we'd have made many waves were we to make the play-offs but just try to enjoy the ride.

We're in good shape for next season provided we get a goalkeeper and a centre back to partner Lenihan.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13816
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:56 pm

And today they've gone into administration. Poor sods.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 4503
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:03 pm

Yeah, I work with a Wigan fan he's pretty down about it. 12 point deduction confirmed as well.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 3092
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by WacoRover » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:15 pm
Mcteeth: some people's expectations are that we win the Premier League, Champions League, World Cup, Superbowl, Ryder Cup, Nobel Peace Prize, US election and the world spelling bee.
I guess I need to raise my expectations. I just expect us to get 1 or 2 points vs. catfish teams.

Sad to hear about Wigan.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 15536
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:04 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:15 pm
Mcteeth: some people's expectations are that we win the Premier League, Champions League, World Cup, Superbowl, Ryder Cup, Nobel Peace Prize, US election and the world spelling bee.
I guess I need to raise my expectations. I just expect us to get 1 or 2 points vs. catfish teams.

Sad to hear about Wigan.
How do we get 2 points?!?!?!?

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 3092
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by WacoRover » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:04 pm
WacoRover wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:15 pm
Mcteeth: some people's expectations are that we win the Premier League, Champions League, World Cup, Superbowl, Ryder Cup, Nobel Peace Prize, US election and the world spelling bee.
I guess I need to raise my expectations. I just expect us to get 1 or 2 points vs. catfish teams.

Sad to hear about Wigan.
How do we get 2 points?!?!?!?
one in each game

I think y’all call ‘em ties, we call ‘em draws

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 3092
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Quarantine Edition: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 27 June 2020, KO 15:00

Post by WacoRover » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:45 pm

Duggywerefab wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:56 pm
All, whether we like it or not (and I don't particularly) this is now a business and we have some really good employees who are under-performing, as well as other employees who are past their cost/benefit or sell-date and some who are out of their league (literally!).

In any other business, the manager would be replaced, having not met the expectations of the employer (I assume anyway). We seem to have a dour man, running an unadventurous group of people, when we either need someone to either discipline them into shape like Dyche or Big Sam would (or did) or to lead by enthusiasm and belief like Klopp does. TM is neither and needs to be replaced. No emotions necessary, he has been well compensated. TM did a good job and has got us back to mid level but as they say, "what got you here, won't get you there".

Just my three 'apennyworth, Up the Rovers Ltd!

Duggy
Spot on, duggy.

Post Reply