New Manager poll - select your top three choices

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Next Manager

Daniel Farke
22%
Mark Warburton
11%
Dean Syche
No votes
Marco Bielsa
11%
Gareth Ainsworth
22%
Chris Hughton
No votes
Phillip Cocu
No votes
Damien Johnson
22%
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
No votes
Mick McCarthy
11%
Wayne Rooney
No votes
Tony Mowbray
No votes
Carlos Carvalhal
No votes

Total votes: 9

Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: New Manager poll - select your top three choices

Post by Gibbon » Tue May 31, 2022 10:38 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 8:16 am
Who said anything about gaslighting?
:lol:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue May 31, 2022 2:26 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 8:37 am
Looks as though Carvalhal might have gone to Al Wahda FC.
Going off his CV, give it a few weeks and he'll be available again...

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue May 31, 2022 3:04 pm

It is quite something that he'll have had 20 jobs in just over 24 years :lol:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:13 am

mcteeth wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:54 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:46 am
mcteeth wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:07 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:00 pm
Cool. Just so long as you realise that your criticisms of Ainsworth are just as applicable. Probably to any manager.
What criticisms and applicable to what? :shrug:
Ah, the old gaslighting routine.
Nope, just two questions.

Also flippantly using a term like gaslighting isn't great.
So you didn't make any criticisms of football managers in this thread?

Good to know you think Ainsworth is the best choice then.

As I say, gaslighting. I definitely feel like I'm going insane with most conversations on here.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:22 pm

It was a simple question asking what criticisms I've made about Ainsworth? :shrug:

I've said what he has done at Wycombe is admirable but questioned his suitability for us given our general direction of travel in terms of coaching, players and recruitment.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:11 pm

Paul Warne is the latest name to add to the list.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:41 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:22 pm
It was a simple question asking what criticisms I've made about Ainsworth? :shrug:

I've said what he has done at Wycombe is admirable but questioned his suitability for us given our general direction of travel in terms of coaching, players and recruitment.
So a criticism, then? :yeahright: Then followed by a 'joke' about his win record in the lower leagues.

As I say, gaslighting; trying to persuade that the past is not as recalled....

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:15 am

It isn't a criticism.

As always this is a really tiresome and pointless discussion now.

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:05 am

I can't decide whether this process being a bit drawn out is a good thing or a bad thing. Its surely a good thing that the right amount of thought is going into this, the right amount of conversations and discussions, and taking time over a decision is usually the way to go. I also like the way that its being done away from the public eye, without snippets of truth being leaked to the media here there and everywhere. It feels much more like a proper recruitment process than just a knee jerk reaction

On the other hand, it reeks of being unprepared for Mowbray's departure. No prior thought gone into the situation... No candidates lines up (or so it at least feels). And, well, if we don't get a move on, we're not going to give the new head coach the required amount of time to be adequately prepared for the upcoming season.

Reading this thread, I find it really interesting some of the comments on what our expectations are... Firstly, I think the one thing that has been made clear since the departure of Mowbray is that the owners/CEO want to go in a different direction with the football management of the club. We've almost been told categorically the new setup will be a sporting director / head coach setup. I suppose we don't really know what that means, but I would hazard a guess it means one individual responsible for all the off field football related activities, and one person solely responsible for the 1st team... Honestly, that idea fills me with dread... Unless the club get two people who are completely aligned with their way of thinking, visions and goals for the club, I think it will only cause power struggles. That being said, it has worked at other clubs around the world, so I can see us giving it a go

But, there is still that niggle in side of me that says, this is how we were before Mowbray joined. A fragmented and divided club, with power struggles all over the shop. The one thing that Mowbray brought that was so special was a sense of unity. He imprinted his values and ideals right the way through the club, from top to bottom.

I guess the next few weeks will reveal what will happen, but I have to say I am approaching the new season with a sense of anxiety I haven't felt for a long while when it comes to Rovers. I guess that always happens with change, but I can't help feeling that this time, the grass will not be any greener

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:44 am

Yeah it's a strange one as there are lots of unknowns but of the things we know is that the club weren't prepared for Mowbray announcing he was leaving, but that is really the fault of Waggott and Venky's not speaking to him about contracts.

The other things we know is that we shortlisted 5 and interviewed them, one of which was definitely Carvalhal and one of the others is highly likely to have been Ferguson. We then decided to interview another 3 based upon further interest in the role and then held rounds of second interviews. Whether this is good or bad we don't know.

My only issues with it getting drawn out into a longer process were player contracts, Lenihan, Nyambe and the interest in Brereton. We can only speculate but had there been early clarity on the appointment perhaps Lenihan stays due to the profile of the manager, likewise the draw of a new manager to convince Nyambe to sign a new deal. But equally we're a club that exists in a cycle of losing our best assets so it's nothing new.

Another issue is enabling time for staff and player recruitment along with a full pre-season. The longer the process goes on it could start to eat into that time.

And lastly season ticket sales, I know the club have extended their frozen price renewal but confirmation of a new manager again could be a real boost to renewals and new sales.

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:03 am

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:44 am
Yeah it's a strange one as there are lots of unknowns but of the things we know is that the club weren't prepared for Mowbray announcing he was leaving, but that is really the fault of Waggott and Venky's not speaking to him about contracts.

The other things we know is that we shortlisted 5 and interviewed them, one of which was definitely Carvalhal and one of the others is highly likely to have been Ferguson. We then decided to interview another 3 based upon further interest in the role and then held rounds of second interviews. Whether this is good or bad we don't know.

My only issues with it getting drawn out into a longer process were player contracts, Lenihan, Nyambe and the interest in Brereton. We can only speculate but had there been early clarity on the appointment perhaps Lenihan stays due to the profile of the manager, likewise the draw of a new manager to convince Nyambe to sign a new deal. But equally we're a club that exists in a cycle of losing our best assets so it's nothing new.

Another issue is enabling time for staff and player recruitment along with a full pre-season. The longer the process goes on it could start to eat into that time.

And lastly season ticket sales, I know the club have extended their frozen price renewal but confirmation of a new manager again could be a real boost to renewals and new sales.
I mean, most of that sounds eminently sensible given recruitment in other industries. I'd much rather have a new manager / head coach /whatever you want to call it, that drives us on to the next stage of our development, and lose the odd player that isn't willing to wait 2 weeks longer for the club to complete its processes. I mean, the other extreme is we rush through an appointment and get it wrong, undoing all the good work that has been put in the last 5 years

This is just my opinion, but I honestly believe we are not going get a head coach that will drive season ticket sales. The type of person we are looking for will be looking for the next stage in their career, with something to prove that is willing to work within the cost constraints we are subject to in the club. It was never going to be a Farke, or Carvalhal in my opinion. They are at the same stage in their careers as Tony was, who wants a guaranteed war chest to go out and secure the players to drive at the top. Its one reason why I think Ainsworth wouldn't be a bad shout, but I know that is controversial round here

Duncan Ferguson doesn't seem like a bad shout to me, but I guarantee he wont get on with a sporting director, if he starts sticking his nose in 1st team business. I can imagine that going south quickly

I'd also caution on the assertion that the new manager will have to carry on in the style of player Mowbray had... That is simply not true. The head coach at any one particular time should adopt a style of play applicable to the players he has available. The best example I can give of this is how Mowbray changed out style of play at the beginning of last year, from a possession based approach to a more direct style of play. The best head coaches / managers will always play a style that is suited to the players they have! Player recruitment over the Summer will determine what that means for us, but I don't think a manager should be locked into any one particular style

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:19 am

We've appointed Gregg Broughton as Director of Football: https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2022/june ... -football/

Don't know a huge amount about him but made huge progress with Bodo/Glimt in Norway. Seems to have a big focus on youth and academy development which in theory aligns with the structure in place already.

Dutch
Promising youngster

Post by Dutch » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:44 pm

Broughton is a pleasant surprise with a pretty exciting resume. Talked a good game in his introduction interview and deffo seems to fit with the youth model Tony and the Owners were so keen to establish. More than qualified imo, given the track record at Norwich with the academy and Bodo/Glimt in Norway and European football. The latter may also give us something of a boost to the European scouting network Harvey and Park had tried to create in the last few years, here's hoping for our next Pedersen :yeahright:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:29 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:15 am
It isn't a criticism.

As always this is a really tiresome and pointless discussion now.
Is that cause I remember what you said and pull you up on it? :hyper:

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:25 am

Dutch wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:44 pm
Broughton is a pleasant surprise with a pretty exciting resume. Talked a good game in his introduction interview and deffo seems to fit with the youth model Tony and the Owners were so keen to establish. More than qualified imo, given the track record at Norwich with the academy and Bodo/Glimt in Norway and European football. The latter may also give us something of a boost to the European scouting network Harvey and Park had tried to create in the last few years, here's hoping for our next Pedersen :yeahright:
Yeah was quite impressed with his interview. Interesting that Rich Sharpe in the LT had always thought manager would be appointed first but now Broughton is likely to have some input on who the head coach could be.

Good to hear that Venky's overarching ambition is long term stability as a Premier League club. Easier said than done of course but the only way we're going to realistically do it is following a model not too dissimilar to the likes of Brighton and Brentford which in our own way I think Mowbray has been establishing.