New Manager poll - select your top three choices

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Next Manager

Daniel Farke
22%
Mark Warburton
11%
Dean Syche
No votes
Marco Bielsa
11%
Gareth Ainsworth
22%
Chris Hughton
No votes
Phillip Cocu
No votes
Damien Johnson
22%
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
No votes
Mick McCarthy
11%
Wayne Rooney
No votes
Tony Mowbray
No votes
Carlos Carvalhal
No votes

Total votes: 9

Gibbon
Promising manager

New Manager poll - select your top three choices

Post by Gibbon » Fri May 06, 2022 12:20 pm

So, sadly, it looks like we're about to lose Mr Mowbray to contract die-back, but if you had to pick his replacement then who would YOU pick?

Select any three.

Suggestions open for anyone you'd like added to the poll, but lets not vote ironically in case anyone takes us seriously. :yeahright:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: New Manager poll - select your top three choices

Post by Ethiaa » Fri May 06, 2022 12:29 pm

In case anyone wonders, it was me that said Mick McCarthy (plus some others). I don't actually want him as our manager really, I just think he's a lovely bloke and so deserves a vote regardless.

Ainsworth for more of the same which would be no bad thing, Bielsa for a risk at either moving forward or moving backwards but unlikely to be a gentle ride.

(and if you want people to be serious, you might not want to include Dyche - or indeed the manager who is leaving...)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri May 06, 2022 12:37 pm

Can we ads Schteeve McLaren as long as he had to talk in the fake Dutch English accent all the time?

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri May 06, 2022 1:57 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:29 pm
Ainsworth for more of the same which would be no bad thing
More of the same? We're nothing like Wycombe in terms of playing staff and style... :shrug:

The Ainsworth link really baffles me, if he wasn't a former player and fan nobody would actually consider him for the job over other viable candidates. We also won't pay compensation so I think the new manager will be a free agent.

The obvious choice to come in and carry on what Mowbray was building is Wharburton. Similar styles of play, good with young players, preference for being in control of all things football at a club (as Mowbray is) and good in terms of transfers and loans.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri May 06, 2022 2:44 pm

No no, more of the same in terms of stability and ultimate achievement. I think we'd likely stay exactly where we are in the table with him. He's a good manager with plenty of experience, a good history of working with younger players and manages to keep a ship stable - that's my idea of more of the same. I don't think he'd want to come frankly. However, I absolutely wouldn't be shocked if we paid compensation for someone. Probably someone the majority of fans don't want :D

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri May 06, 2022 10:30 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:57 pm

The Ainsworth link really baffles me, if he wasn't a former player and fan nobody would actually consider him for the job over other viable candidates.
You mean other than all the reasons why you might select someone?

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Sat May 07, 2022 5:27 pm

I honestly wouldn’t know who to pick, especially over the stability we already have. Farke seems like the obvious choice given his proven ability to get teams out of this league although I just wonder at what cost, especially since he’s said he isn’t really looking for jobs in the championship. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of money floating around at the club so whoever we get in is going to have to cope with the better players being sold and continuing to develop talent through the academy… so you’d say from that point of view Warburton would be the logical choice

I guess this all comes down to the ambition of the owners over the next few years. We’ll see what they have planned. Given some of the other precarious football clubs at the moment I’m not sure I wouldn’t opt for stability over ambition, and hope that such a development coach could stumble across the right formula to push for the top 6. We certainly have talent in the squads.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon May 09, 2022 10:12 am

As per a Nacko report, Carlos Carvalhal is in the running as well, so I've added him to the poll and enabled people to change their votes as and when the urge strikes them. :lol:

*edit - and doing so wiped the existing results - who knew? (Rob probably knew)

Just before I killed it, Damien Johnson and Daniel Farke were jointly favorites with 4 votes, with Mark Warburton in second with 3 - I guess it'll be interesting to see if that changes when/if people vote again.

Interesting that Chris Hughton was unfancied, he always struck me as a great shout.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon May 09, 2022 10:30 am

Sheesh. In that case I'm just voting for Mick this time around.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon May 09, 2022 1:36 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:30 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:57 pm

The Ainsworth link really baffles me, if he wasn't a former player and fan nobody would actually consider him for the job over other viable candidates.
You mean other than all the reasons why you might select someone?
Explain why he is suited to the setup that Mowbray has put in place aside from working with young players? Venky's have stated they're looking for someone to come in and build upon his work, Ainsworth as it stands isn't suited to that.

We have a squad and academy completely unsuited to his style of play, kick and rush, percentage football has it's place but it's not going to get us promoted anytime soon. Wycombe scored nearly 70% of their goals this season from set pieces, virtually the opposite of how we look to score and our best freekick taker (Rothwell) and one of our best aerial goal threats (Lenihan) will be gone this summer. Well Lenihan tbc.

Whilst he has achieved a lot of success with Wycombe with little money and that is admirable, his transfer dealings aren't really applicable to how we've scouted and recruited players. Equally the gap in quality between League 1 and the Championship is now huge. Our squad is propped up by Premier League loans and established relationships with teams like Brighton and Liverpool are very important and there because of Mowbray and our style of play. Why are those sides going to send us top quality young players if we just go down a percentage, set piece and conceded possession style of play. The answer is they won't.

I'm open to understanding why there is so much clamour for Ainsworth but aside from his links to the town and club it doesn't make sense from a footballing perspective which is why you would appoint a manager, it shouldn't be an emotional decision.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon May 09, 2022 2:00 pm

I think you're trying to find too much logical clarity in an inevitably flawed and pseudorandom process.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon May 09, 2022 2:24 pm

Well the simple point remains, if Ainsworth had no connection to the club he wouldn't be on the hypothetical list.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon May 09, 2022 3:45 pm

I don't agree - he's a perfectly good option for a club in our position based just on his management history. He'd do an absolutely acceptable job I'm sure. So not really a simple point, just opinion like so much else.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon May 09, 2022 4:00 pm

So implement a style of play completely unsuited to our entire playing squad, academy and player recruitment?

Also as noted before we aren't going to pay compensation so effectively rules him out anyway.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon May 09, 2022 4:28 pm

What, a manager who wants to do something different? HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN AT A FOOTBALL CLUB! Seriously? :lol:

As I said, wouldn't shock me if we did pay for someone. Neither would it shock me if we employed someone that nobody has ever heard of from Iceland.